Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
I'm totally satisfied when I saw it goes up to i7-8700. User replaceable ram is so nice though. With no update to iMacs now you can simply buy Mac Mini with i7 and Egpu, then you'll be good to go. My only concern is, if it will be able to cool down the i7 processor properly.

Reactions: StoneyG

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Really nice update other than the pricing, which has flown past outrageous into the territory of the almost unbelievable. Naive me thought I could spend around $2000-2200 today for a mid-tier MBA and Mini. Whoops. Looks like I'm about a thousand bucks short.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I'm totally satisfied when I saw it goes up to i7-8700. User replaceable ram is so nice though. With no update to iMacs now you can simply buy Mac Mini with i7 and Egpu, then you'll be good to go. My only concern is, if it will be able to cool down the i7 processor properly.
The RAM is in slots, but it doesn't appear to be user-replaceable, meaning upgrades require a partial teardown of the Mac mini and may possibly void the warranty. Will definitely be interested in the iFixit teardown findings after the new Mac mini starts shipping.

Reactions: strawbale

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
so we don't know if you can upgrade the ram like the 2012 Mac mini ?

another question im out the loop when it comes to new computers im still using a 2012 Mac mini , all my external drives are regular usb not usbc
how will this work ? do I need to get new drives or a usbc switch box ?

Pearple

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2017
Sweet spot for non pro user is the base model with base ram and 512 gb ssd, since you can’t upgrade ssd later on.

Dramatic increase in price. Would be OK, if this configuration was 699, wich still would be much more than he 400ish price of the previous generation

Kiwikat88

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
Texas
6-core i5, 16 GB memory, 256 GB SSD, and external HDD enclosure sounds like a great replacement for my aging and failing windows HTPC/server.

Reactions: jeremiah256

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
I'm happy to allow some saving time until late 2019.
I3 quad 8gb ram 128 or 256gb ssd.
Then monitor etc.

Very happy future purchase.
I'll continue with 10.5 ipad meanwhile and i3 laptop.
2018 Mac mini has everything I'll require from home -before any additions if required.

Reactions: mbosse

tedson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Anyone else notice the CPU is socketed too, so we can upgrade the CPU later on :)
I already posted on another thread but the I7-8700 retails for ~$310-$320 check Amazon or NewEgg so $200-$300 up-charge doesn't seem out of line.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017

another question im out the loop when it comes to new computers im still using a 2012 Mac mini , all my external drives are regular usb not usbc
how will this work ?
do I need to get new drives or a usbc switch box ?
I know this may come as a shock to many users but you'll have to use...an adapter.

Jasonfrank71

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2018
Hi can I get some advice!! I currently use my old Mini as a Plex server and I want to upgrade so I can get support for 4k looking at the stats this will do it. I think I would buy an external drive to save the high cost of upgrade through Apple. What do you think I should buy for Ram the 8gb or upgrade it.

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2007
Birmingham, AL & Atlanta, GA
Wow $2000 just to upgrade the drive from 128 GB to a 2 TB drive? Holy crap!

Not the only one. I'd prefer a 2.5" bay. But then Apple couldn't gouge us on SSDs. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't even need a 2.5" bay...that's really just a holdover from the physical size of laptop hard drives. A simple M.2 socket could support something like a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe drive, which comes in 2TB capacity for about $700 (which is 1/3 what Apple charges to reclaim your 128GB and give you 2TB).

I've currently got a 2014 MacBook Pro (15") that I'm using as a desktop connected to three monitors. Am I correct that I could swap the MacBook Pro for the new Mac Mini without any problem (in terms of number and type of inputs, etc.)? Right now I have one monitor connected via HDMI and two via displayport. None of them are even retina displays.

Also, I hope I would see something of an increase in performance with the new Mini relative to my 4-year-old machine, but I'm not really up to date on how the specs compare. Anyone have any input?

New Mac mini will drive 3 displays simultaneously at a little bit over 4K UHD resolution, so yes, you should be fine. You'd use 2 TB3 ports and the HDMI 2.0 port. Speed increase for processor-intensive loads should be quite noticeable compared to your 2014 dual-core machine, since these are current-gen quad- and hex-core systems. Check Apple's page for more on the performance increase (which seems silly, given they are proudly displaying how the new model trounces the laughably old one it is replacing) and display capabilities.
[doublepost=1540926601][/doublepost]

See earlier in the thread about the memory form factor. Unknown yet how accessible it is.

how will this work ? do I need to get new drives or a usbc switch box ?

I know this may come as a shock to many users but you'll have to use...an adapter.

Actually, there are a pair of USB-A ports right there on the back. And yes, you can also use a USB-C adapter or cable to connect to the TB3/USB-C ports.

imgroot

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2018
Out of curiosity, what display are you pairing with it?

As a 5K iMac owner I couldn't go back to anything less. So the cost for me to upgrade my main desktop setup would be $1599 for the Mac mini + $1299 for an LG 5K Display + somewhere around $400 for a dedicated GPU with enclosure + $288 for 32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM - about $3,588 before tax. And I don't need an upgrade that badly. :)

I have a 34" LG 21:9 curved ultrawide QHD IPS display. Edit: 3440 x 1440. It's got great picture and meets my needs.

Last edited:

Mol1n

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2018
Yes, I am. Exactly what i expected, with no unpleasant surprises, and two pleasant surprises.

First, desktop CPU. That thing is gonna be a little more power hungry, and also will heat up much more. That's why am I gonna wait a little, to see how thermals hold up. Second, user upgradeable RAM. Nice thing, so unlike 2018 Apple.
Intel says the i3 coffeelakes can only support 2400mhz ram. Which CPU is Apple using for the base Mini?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.