Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

georose

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2018
The usual memory and SSD upgrades that are needed put it in the astronomical price range compared to similar Intel hardware. Apple has always had a "surcharge" for extra memory and storage capacity. Every other vendor has rational pricing when it comes to memory/ssd upgrades. It's out of my price range for what I would need in upgrades to make it work for me and there is likely no upgrade path for the user. I suppose one could order the 125GB SSD and use an external T3 SSD as an upgrade for additional storage if you go light on the apps.

Scary Spice

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2015
British Columbia
Way more than I expected. I don't need to replace my 2012 quad yet, but these look really nice. :)

WAY more $$$ than I expected. I blew 4800 on a i9 MBP (awesome) and 6900 on a iMac Pro. The totally pimped out Mac mini is really expensive. But my current 2014 is my only Mac without a T2. Damn you Tim, Damn you to hell!

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Count me in.

It's about time.

With the enhanced specs I hope it's quiet like the older Minis. I basically was hoping for a really good Intel based Mac Mini upgrade that can run Windows VMs and the new i7 model should work well.

Can we get rid of "The new Mac Mini is certainly coming" thread now? Please! :(

Last edited:

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
It's a disgrace that it starts at $800 now. Before it was obvious savings to pair a base model Mini with your choice of peripherals. Now you are better off buying a base model retina iMac. Shame really. Glad they kept the Mini alive but it's a very different product now sadly.

Reactions: fhturner

ThkAsBrk

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
It's a disgrace that it starts at $800 now. Before it was obvious savings to pair a base model Mini with your choice of peripherals. Now you are better off buying a base model retina iMac. Shame really. Glad they kept the Mini alive but it's a very different product now sadly.
I hate laptops. My 2012 Mini gets unplugged from its home station (Apple display, Time Machine hard drive, keyboard etc), gets tossed in a bag (because it is light and tough) and then goes to work (yay all Dell stuff). That's Mini from 2012. Time for a new one. Good job Apple in supporting actual work. Price sounds spot on (Next Computer in 2024?)

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
I would want to see the Xr in person, but if it looks good enough, I would probably go the Xr route if I upgraded from my X. Usability wise, lose the 2nd 2X camera. 128GB is plenty.

Yeah, you're probably right. Especially since I'm coming from an iPhone 6S Plus. Any of the new models is going to be a fantastic upgrade for me.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
About time.

Now I just have to wait for the store pickup option to go live for the configuration I want, and the usual wait to see what the teardown and first set of benchmarks reveal.

So likely i7/512GB with RAM determined by teardown.

Thankfully it is configured with enough legacy ports to require only 1 adapter/cable for me.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Pros and wannabes may be well pleased with the 2018 Mac Mini. However, the average Joe and Jill looking for a Mac that is modesty priced and modestly specced, with a reasonable amount of storage to do everyday stuff are left out in the cold.

Apple has filled a vociferous niche, but folks the Mac Mini was originally created for are left wanting.

Last edited:

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Pros and wannabes may be well pleased with the 2018 Mac Mini. However, the average Joe and Jill, looking for a Mac that is modesty priced and modestly specced, with a reasonable amount of storage to do everyday stuff are left out in the cold.

Apple has filled one vociferous niche, but folks the Mac Mini was originally created for are left wanting.

If that's what you really want you should still be able to pick up a new, used or refurbished 2014 Mini at reduced pricing.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I hate laptops. My 2012 Mini gets unplugged from its home station (Apple display, Time Machine hard drive, keyboard etc), gets tossed in a bag (because it is light and tough) and then goes to work (yay all Dell stuff). That's Mini from 2012. Time for a new one. Good job Apple in supporting actual work. Price sounds spot on (Next Computer in 2024?)
No it does not. Just because it works for you and your use case does not mean it will for others. The Mini used to be the perfect option for an entry level Mac at that price point. Now it's a Pro machine that has out-priced itself for many consumers.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Pros and wannabes may be well pleased with the 2018 Mac Mini. However, the average Joe and Jill looking for a Mac that is modesty priced and modestly specced, with a reasonable amount of storage to do everyday stuff are left out in the cold.

Apple has filled a vociferous niche, but folks the Mac Mini was originally created for are left wanting.
I'm really trying to understand Apple's long-term strategy, but I believe they think Joe and Jill should use a non-Pro iPad ($330) for regular everyday stuff.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
Absolutely delighted basically everything I wanted albeit a bit more expensive than I hoped.

The only weird omission was a gpu. I thought it would get the same gpu as the MacBook Pro. However it got 10gb Ethernet which I was not expecting, which was awesome, so it kind of balances out.

Reactions: SackJabbit

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
User upgradable RAM.

I am placing my order soon.

Contacted Apple support about this. They said that the ram is not considered user upgradable and unauthorised modifications will void the warranty. Which basically means it’s technically possible but don’t let them catch you. Kind of sucks as a policy. Would be much better if they said ram is user upgradable but any damage caused during upgrade is not covered.
[doublepost=1540951381][/doublepost]
Is it user upgradeable?
See my answer above.

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Under-discussed detail I'm super hyped about is the triple display option.

Same. Very pleased. I have the last quad core that was available and it’s running perfect. This will be a worthy upgrade when the time comes. Can’t wait to see the tear downs. It’ll push dual 4K displays so I’ll have some time for those displays to go down in price.

DQ11

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2018
At least they have Finally updated the darn thing! :)

So, here's what it can do

- Up to 6-Core. 4-core as minimal configuration.
- Up to 64GB of Ram that you can upgrade yourself if you buy the base 8GB model. Not soldered to the Logicboard by Apple!
- 2TB SSD
- 4 Thunderbolt ports and 10Gb Ethernet

However. USD 799 is quite a steep starting price considering in the past they would start between 500 - 650

View attachment 799455

I love the look and price. I priced out a higher spec'd one for $1,850 which is much better than the $3,000 I was going to have to spend.

I need a new imac/mac mini for making music and running Logic Pro X.

I was only looking at imacs but I didn't want the retina as I don't need it for music.

I can get an i7 + 16 gb ram + 512 gb SSD for $1,850 and those same specs in a 27" imac now will cost me like $3,300.

I can just get a cheaper monitor.

This is great news. I don't have to worry about retina burn in ruining my imac.

This is awesome news for people who make music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.