Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will there be new Mac Pro computers announced at WWDC 2016?

• Total voters

MarkusL

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014

Which, as the direct quote from Steve Jobs I included above, was explicitly Jobs' long term plan. So how does that make him the Mac's most ardent defender when his primary focus was on "the next great thing"? That is the disconnect from reality.

As you said yourself, the quote is a hypothetical statement at a time when Jobs was not in charge of Apple. That show of temporary bitterness does not change the fact that it was Jobs who later went on to lead Apple into the Mac's golden age which started a few years after his return, with OS X and later the switch to Intel.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
As you said yourself, the quote is a hypothetical statement at a time when Jobs was not in charge of Apple. That show of temporary bitterness does not change the fact that it was Jobs who later went on to lead Apple into the Mac's golden age which started a few years after his return, with OS X and later the switch to Intel.

The statement itself is not hypothetical. The situation became non-hypothetical after his return.

Jobs needed Macs to survive long enough to get to the iPod , then iPhone, then iPad and to what the next great thing will be after that. So they weren't axed immediately like the Netwon, but there is nothing in his statement that he would prematurely kill off Macs. It wasn't a total vampire milking where there was zero R&D plowed back in initially ("stop feeding the cow but leave it hooked to a milking machine 10 hrs a day"). As long as Mac sales had growth the profits far outweighed the investment. As growth has slowed there has been no increased on R&D expenditure. That is a milking. It is a sustained milking. Apple has a mid single digit percentage of the classic PC market with OS X and they manage the product line to stay in the highly profitable subset of the market.

Switching to Intel lowered costs and lead to higher profitably. That isn't disconnected from milking either. Basing the Mac mini on being a headless Laptop isn't disconnected from milking. Dropping discrete monitors but keeping LCD sales up by integrating the display into the iMac .... isn't disconnected from milking. There are a long list of moves to limit and shape the Mac product line to maximize the profit margin over the tenure of Jobs second return.

Jobs was not cheerleading the "box with slots" Mac form factor (which is what this particular forum is suppose to be about). Smaller, slimmer systems is what he was personally pitching on stage towards the end of his tenure. What the Mac line up is now is largely smaller, slimmer systems than 5 years ago.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
The statement itself is not hypothetical. The situation became non-hypothetical after his return.

Jobs needed Macs to survive long enough to get to the iPod , then iPhone, then iPad and to what the next great thing will be after that. So they weren't axed immediately like the Netwon, but there is nothing in his statement that he would prematurely kill off Macs. It wasn't a total vampire milking where there was zero R&D plowed back in initially ("stop feeding the cow but leave it hooked to a milking machine 10 hrs a day"). As long as Mac sales had growth the profits far outweighed the investment. As growth has slowed there has been no increased on R&D expenditure. That is a milking. It is a sustained milking. Apple has a mid single digit percentage of the classic PC market with OS X and they manage the product line to stay in the highly profitable subset of the market.

Switching to Intel lowered costs and lead to higher profitably. That isn't disconnected from milking either. Basing the Mac mini on being a headless Laptop isn't disconnected from milking. Dropping discrete monitors but keeping LCD sales up by integrating the display into the iMac .... isn't disconnected from milking. There are a long list of moves to limit and shape the Mac product line to maximize the profit margin over the tenure of Jobs second return.

Jobs was not cheerleading the "box with slots" Mac form factor (which is what this particular forum is suppose to be about). Smaller, slimmer systems is what he was personally pitching on stage towards the end of his tenure. What the Mac line up is now is largely smaller, slimmer systems than 5 years ago.
What platform will develop content and apps for iOS? Apple Music or iCloud?

PC's are not going anywhere. Whole industry is in transition, from one paradigm to another. Were exactly in between them. That is why Apple stalled with updates of their hardware.

Reactions: hollyhillbilly

MarkusL

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
Jobs was not cheerleading the "box with slots" Mac form factor (which is what this particular forum is suppose to be about). Smaller, slimmer systems is what he was personally pitching on stage towards the end of his tenure.

Cheerleading or not, the G5 cheese grater was introduced five years after his return. It was his doing, not some leftover from before his return. And as for "towards the end of his tenure", wooing the crowd by pulling a Macbook Air out of an envelope is not the same thing as announcing the neutering of the Mac Pro. I'm going to need your help to find the specific quotes that showed his intent to kill off the pro desktop as it was known when he was alive.

What the Mac line up is now is largely smaller, slimmer systems than 5 years ago.

Speaking of five years, do you know who died five years ago?

Reactions: tuxon86

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Cheerleading or not, the G5 cheese grater was introduced five years after his return. It was his doing, not some leftover from before his return. And as for "towards the end of his tenure", wooing the crowd by pulling a Macbook Air out of an envelope is not the same thing as announcing the neutering of the Mac Pro. I'm going to need your help to find the specific quotes that showed his intent to kill off the pro desktop as it was known when he was alive.

Speaking of five years, do you know who died five years ago?

Christopher Hitchens, Joe Frazier, Andy Rooney, Jack Kervorkian, Liz Taylor...

Hank Carter

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
This is really simple.

Obviously Jobs was always looking for the next big thing and that is where most of his energy probably went. But when he was still around the Mac was not relegated to the role of red headed stepchild, like it is today and people were not allowed to make stupid design decisions like removing the vents from the back of the iMac, which causes thermal problems, because suddenly design has taken priority of function at Apple. The man could walk and chew gum at the same time. He saw into the future and present at the same time. Jobs 'got it'. He saw the iPad as part of the future, but he also understood you need a much bigger machine to generate the content you are going to consume on said mobile device. The current crew don't have his insight or vision.

There is really nothing more to this.

Which, as the direct quote from Steve Jobs I included above, was explicitly Jobs' long term plan. So how does that make him the Mac's most ardent defender when his primary focus was on "the next great thing"? That is the disconnect from reality.

In in this universe. Your alternative universe is where Jobs isn't primarily weighting the "next great thing" and keeping the Mac as the central focus of Apple for the long term.

An example of "milking it for all it is worth" only reinforces the quote I cited above. The issue is whether you have some example other than the plan that Jobs laid out. Jobs' Apple works with 5 year plan outlines for products. The stuff in 2013-2015 still had some inputs (or deallocation of resources; say no ) from Jobs on them.

Besides, the current MBA is not filling the same role as the 2008 MBA. The MBA of 2008 was a slightly upscale/upmarket system (price premium on thinnest/lightest). Namely, the MBA and MacBook have swapped places. The purpose the Macbook name served in 2008 is exactly the role that the MBA 2015 is playing ( entry level price point). Same is true for the Macbook of 2015. It is now in the same role as the MBA was in 2008 ( maximum lightest, thinnest system from Apple. )

Jobs might have killed off the MBA 11" and pushed the MBA 13" into that price point. But he still would need an "entry level" computer. And the latest , greatest tech isn't going to work with the "required" profit margins ( also a constraint Jobs was fully on board with). Or perhaps Jobs would have just swapped the names.

That would be another alternative universe where IBM was still in the consumer computer business. They aren't. In this reality, IBM is mostly a services company now. Any computer hardware is corporate data center types of offerings. They don't need OS X. OS X is largely only valuable to Apple. There is nobody else that is going to make that work. OS X decoupled from the hardware is a lost cause. OS X doesn't easily decouple from iOS ( and tvOS) either. The cost structure for maintaining some of the shared infrastructure is paid for by the much larger iOS market. Pull that money and talent out of the R&D and have a bigger issue. Dell , HP , Lenovo ... they are all trending water as PC vendors. ( Dell is busy trying to consume EMC to remain viable, HP just got spun out and needs to find something else long term, Lenovo without huge China growth has major problems. ..... etc. etc. )

Apple is still pulling folks out of the Window soup at a rate that is quite profitable. There is nobody who has the cash to pay what Apple should charge to sell off OS X when OS X is still very substantially profitable. Try buying Windows off of Microsoft.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
If this was pre-2011, yes. It is 2016; no.

They revealed the Mac Pro THREE YEARS AGO.... three years and no upgrades. The unveil at WWDC was to get people revved up, but the new Pro will not be a redesign on any major scale. They will quietly release the upgrade in Fall; it will be ticked on the end of the iPad keynote this year. If lucky.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I am assuming that Serben is not lying.

richmlow
What I was asking is..who is he/she. Does Serben work at shipping company or something? How does he get infos?
I'm asking because i don't know who this person is and people just flocking to him.

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
From what I can gather within the thread, Serban has a "reputation" for accurate information in the past. It appears that he/she is involved in the testing of Apple prototypes.

richmlow

What I was asking is..who is he/she. Does Serben work at shipping company or something? How does he get infos?
I'm asking because i don't know who this person is and people just flocking to him.

Reactions: pat500000

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
From what I can gather within the thread, Serban has a "reputation" for accurate information in the past. It appears that he/she is involved in the testing of Apple prototypes.

richmlow
Oh okay. That makes sense. Thanks! I was wondering who this person is and how he was able to obtain "prototype" infos.

MarkusL

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014

richmlow

He's also known for the occasional drunk/joke posting:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...gns-price-points.1757350/page-4#post-19391936

As for accuracy in general I'm not really sure. Maybe his role as an owner of a construction company gives him unique access to Apple prototypes, or maybe it's the absolutely gigantic amount of posts he makes that guarantees that some of it will be correct.

viersen

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2014
Ireland

viersen

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2014
Ireland
Its time for a nMP! If Apple don't use the Broadwell EP processors, the only option left for them would be to wait another 10 months until the Skylake EP are launched, meaning the end of the MP. Because what excuse would they have to maintain an empty factory for over 4 years when the rest of the companies are already in the market??

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Its time for a nMP! If Apple don't use the Broadwell EP processors, the only option left for them would be to wait another 10 months until the Skylake EP are launched, meaning the end of the MP. Because what excuse would they have to maintain an empty factory for over 4 years when the rest of the companies are already in the market??
i would hate to wait that long.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I dont think I could even survive to that. My avatar reflects the opposite of how I feel about it.
It has to be this June, otherwise i'll start to use heroin!

LOL. I have a good feeling it will...and I'm hoping (less likely) that it will be GPU upgradable.

Reactions: viersen
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.