Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I think the problem with the new un-appealing design was created when they created the Air/Pro segments because they centred them around the M silicon capabilities.

In the past the segments were a bit different:
Pro was the flagships but not utilitarian so they gave form more priority over function.
Air was also a flagship but slim and less powered.

This generation is more like:
Pro is the flagship but is also the utilitarian one so it got too chunky.
Air is the midrange one and apple tried to produce it economically but also to better differentiate from Pro line-up

I think the current line-up is missing a MBA 15 with the PRO screen, speakers and active cooling and we got the best of both worlds. But that could canabilize the rest of line-up.

Also the notch was a branding decision disguised as a technical solution. Is the new "glowing" apple logo and it works. When you enter a coffee shop the both is the first thing you see.
MBA with pro screen, speakers will make it bigger and probably Apple will have to put a fan. Everything comes with a trade off. Canabilization never stopped Apple, if there was a feasibility and market Apple could easily do what they with iPhone line. MBA Pro Max with Pro screen and premium speakers and charge more. I doubt most folks want to spend MBP money on MBA. And putting a fan in MBA is having multiple designs of MBA.

Last edited:

AbhijitShanbhag

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2022
India
No one said nothing else other than functionality. 2015-2019 was a functional disaster for MBP with extreme focus on looks and being thin. 2019 MBP was the worst mac I ever owned, and as ready to switch if not for M1 Max 16 inch. You wnat looks go for MBA. You want high performance laptop, go for MBP. My Linux workstation runs around my MBP when it comes to Running some heavy load.
Well, that’s not how it is supposed to be is what I mean to say. Apple really crafts all their products, amazingly no matter on what tier they are. This forum was speaking specifically about design, and hence I commented that. Of course, the 2016-19 was a disaster with a really bad thermal management, and I won’t deny that. I am saying that Jony, must not be the one to blame. In fact the design actually are based on requirements specified the product management teams, and it’s the design teams that work on it later on

The reason why I commented the previous post, was for the reason that people are being clueless of products, the management, and so on

I do own the M1 Max MacBook Pro. Functionally it’s really a good laptop, probably no competitor even comes close to it, in its efficiency, and speeds. However, the design is very not-Apple like. It’s poorly designed laptop for Apple’s standards, and so are the other devices at Apple right now and can be made better, while still having the same functionality retained

• Haha
Reactions: TechnoMonk

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Well, that’s not how it is supposed to be is what I mean to say. Apple really crafts all their products, amazingly no matter on what tier they are. This forum was speaking specifically about design, and hence I commented that. Of course, the 2016-19 was a disaster with a really bad thermal management, and I won’t deny that. I am saying that Jony, must not be the one to blame. In fact the design actually are based on requirements specified the product management teams, and it’s the design teams that work on it later on

The reason why I commented the previous post, was for the reason that people are being clueless of products, the management, and so on

I do own the M1 Max MacBook Pro. Functionally it’s really a good laptop, probably no competitor even comes close to it, in its efficiency, and speeds. However, the design is very not-Apple like. It’s poorly designed laptop for Apple’s standards, and so are the other devices at Apple right now and can be made better, while still having the same functionality retained
Johnny I’ve had full control over design, there was no products guy telling him how to design. It was his teams job to ensure it can support the specs. 2016-2019 was poorly designed laptop, which got hot ran loud and throttled. Very unlike Apple, made me almost jump the ship. I couldn’t use it with out noise free head phones. Now that is called poorly designed in Apple like laptop. M1 Max still looks great for the pro laptop. I will take a laptop that can do more than my workstation in compact form. It’s not far fetched to say Johnny Ive was on a leash from Steve Jobs, not to go extremes.
If your definition of Apple like is a laptop that is loud, runs hot, then I don’t wnat those product designers anywhere near Apple.

Last edited:

AbhijitShanbhag

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2022
India
Which was function over form. The design had to complement the functionality, not limit it
I think you got me wrong over here. What I am referring to is that, function and form are not something that are inversely proportional to each other. As you said, products can be made very functional, while keeping a really good design. While Jony Ive was instrumental in shaping Apple's design philosophy for many years, it's simplistic to place the blame solely on him for any product's shortcomings. Product development involves many teams and factors, including engineering, marketing, and executive decisions. So, while design plays a significant role, it's not the only factor affecting the final product.

If your definition of Apple like is a laptop that is loud, runs hot, then I don’t wnat those product designers anywhere near Apple
That’s where the problem is. You see the thermal problems caused in the laptop, solely to be blamed on a designer. Probably you really lack idea of the ‘design thinking’ behind computers. I think in your definition, Jony just makes up a the thermal heat sink design, chooses the material of the laptop heat sink for appropriate dissipation, chooses the operative speeds of devices and so on

Brother try to understand, It's important to grasp that Apple is more than just any individual; it's a collective process. There are many teams at Apple that collectively work to design a product. The design team coordinates with each of the other teams, who all collectively come up with a finalised product

Last edited:

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I think you got me wrong over here. What I am referring to is that, function and form are not something that are inversely proportional to each other. As you said, products can be made very functional, while keeping a really good design. While Jony Ive was instrumental in shaping Apple's design philosophy for many years, it's simplistic to place the blame solely on him for any product's shortcomings. Product development involves many teams and factors, including engineering, marketing, and executive decisions. So, while design plays a significant role, it's not the only factor affecting the final product.

That’s where the problem is. You see the thermal problems caused in the laptop, solely to be blamed on a designer. Probably you really lack idea of the ‘design thinking’ behind computers. I think in your definition, Jony just makes up a the thermal heat sink design, chooses the material of the laptop heat sink for appropriate dissipation, chooses the operative speeds of devices and so on

Brother try to understand, It's important to grasp that Apple is more than just any individual; it's a collective process. There are many teams at Apple that collectively work to design a product. The design team coordinates with each of the other teams, who all collectively come up with a finalised product
Tell me you are joking? Watch Johnny Ive interviews, it will tell you a lot about Apple designed devices and reasons behind those decisions. Ive wanted to push the laws of physics to make MBP as compact as possible, he was tryin to make like an Air. If you think heat sink is only thermal factor, then it’s absolutely wrong. Area, volume, distribution and dissipation of heat, all play a huge role in thermal properties. May be brush up on how thermals work in devices. There isn’t much leeway when it comes to heat sink in laptops, there is a reason Mx Uktra Mac Studio is lot heavier than Mx Studio. Ultra uses a copper sink which is lot heavier. You can’t put a copper sink to dissipate the heat in compact MBP, it has to have bigger volume to dissipate heat.

I clearly stated it was job of design team to ensure the design meets the specs of Laptop. But it’s clear Ive was driving the direction, and constraints.

AbhijitShanbhag

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2022
India
Tell me you are joking? Watch Johnny Ive interviews, it will tell you a lot about Apple designed devices and reasons behind those decisions. Ive wanted to push the laws of physics to make MBP as compact as possible, he was tryin to make like an Air. If you think heat sink is only thermal factor, then it’s absolutely wrong. Area, volume, distribution and dissipation of heat, all play a huge role in thermal properties. May be brush up on how thermals work in devices. There isn’t much leeway when it comes to heat sink in laptops, there is a reason Mx Uktra Mac Studio is lot heavier than Mx Studio. Ultra uses a copper sink which is lot heavier. You can’t put a copper sink to dissipate the heat in compact MBP, it has to have bigger volume to dissipate heat.

I never claimed thermal constraints were based on the heat sink only. I didn’t claim that. Stop trying to twist what I said with your own interpretations.

And what in the interview did he mention that it’s just his design team that worked out engineering designs? Pretty sure the work represents the whole process and not just his team. Probably you should rather brush up your knowledge on how tech companies like Apple or MSFT release their products.

And according to you, Jony designed the product, and it’s done? No testing, no ratifications from different teams at Apple? Nothing to do from others?

Seriously suggesting you to go through a lot more of research on, how companies work. Really it’s weird, you blame every problem on a designer.

Last edited:

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
They just recently fully switched over to the new MacBook design (in March when the M2 Air replaced the M1 Air). They're definitely not redesigning it for a while. Soonest I can see is when they do the OLED display MBP in 2025 or 2026. Maybe not even then.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
Newsflash for OP: your computer is the 15” MacBook Air. No need to look any further or hope for anything more.

If you were happy using one of those thermally crippled, port-less, MacBook Pro’s from the Ive-Cook era, the 15” MacBook Air will suit your needs just fine.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
Thanks. Thread starter here. Best reply so far. I bought my first Mac a ”Macintosh 512” 38 years ago and still cant get over that Apple for the first time, in 38 years (in my view) produced a less attractive case design. However I think I might be ready to take the leap! I will give the new M3 Air a shot.

I think this is a really good call.

I agree the new Airs don’t look as good as the old Airs, but if you are comparing the new Airs to the old MacBook Pros, it is not actually too bad.

The new Airs are a real pleasure to hold in the hand, very comfortable and grippy, ultra-thin and the fan-less design on those machines is a real plus too.

Reactions: SymeonArgyrus

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
The only thing I’d change is dropping the legacy ports for more TB on my MBP. I never use HDMI and would be completely fine with an adapter if I ever did, it would stay with the display. I do use the SD slot for 3D print files and occasional dashcam, but I still like adapters. I know I’m in the minority, but having six ports I can do nearly anything with is far better than three with three specialized ports.

Reactions: Zorori

EedyBeedyBeeps

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
USA
...oooookkkkkkkk....

each to their own.

This is a laptop, not a Gucci handbag.

If people's only reason to upgrade is to change colours.... well then they have more money than sense.

More than 10 of Apple’s and Ive’s industrial designs are in the museum of modern arts’ collection.

Though not the first to do so, Apple has proven we can have both form and function. Shouldn’t we hold them to their own vaunted standards when we’re the ones buying their products for thousand(s) of dollars?

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
For 25 years I have always felt a desire to upgrade my MacBook Pro/Air when new versions are released. However since two years that feeling is gone.

I honestly hate the fat looking rounded edge design of the MacBooks, feels like a tribute to MacBooks 20 years ago. I guess Ive/Jobs would never ever allowed that design.

So my question is: Does anyone have any info of a design overhaul for the MacBooks?

Thanks
John
25 years ago the MacBook air did not exist. They were called ibooks and they were white. My first was in 2005. However even before then they were called Powerbooks and my first was in 1998 and it was black and white.

Mega ST

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
Europe
OT: My first Laptop and my first Apple was a Classic (with tube monitor!) that was meant to be portable and came with a custom tailored bag to carry it around. I bought it second hand from some consulting company. It had been top of the line before.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
For 25 years I have always felt a desire to upgrade my MacBook Pro/Air when new versions are released. However since two years that feeling is gone.

I honestly hate the fat looking rounded edge design of the MacBooks, feels like a tribute to MacBooks 20 years ago. I guess Ive/Jobs would never ever allowed that design.

So my question is: Does anyone have any info of a design overhaul for the MacBooks?

Thanks
John
I agree they look less immediately appealing, but the air is lovely to handle. I am not in hurray to see a MBP redesign unless the ports remain!

elliotmoore91

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2019
well, the thing is, design matters from a usability perspective, too.

the mba wedge was much better for ergonomics,not only thanks to the drop, but also because it was effectively lower and less sharp than the new boxy design. keyboard had more travel than m2. design also makes differences in robustness (although m2 might take the edge on that one).

the new design also has worse sound because it comes from the bottom instead of firing through the sides like regular speakers grills.

point is, it ain't just about looks .
100% agree with all of this. Its a shame because I got to a point recently where I simply needed a new macbook as a means to get work done and in the past, making such would a purchase would be incredibly exciting. However, my new m3 air just felt like a compromise. Its fine but i'm not in awe of it and dont really think the build quality is leaps beyond the competition like it used to be.

curnalpanic

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2008
go:teborg
the 15 inch 2016 macbook pro, right before the butterfly keyboard era, was peak macbook design for me personally.
You mean when they got even thinner and dropped all ports except USB-C (and headphone)? I'm pretty sure that was the same year they switched to butterfly keyboard too.

elliotmoore91

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2019
I surely miss Joni's design and having him in Apple.
That said, I don't live in the past, but here and now very much.
I liked Steve and Joni, but I don't like Tim, but whatever....I don't have to.

I love my new MBA for what it is, otherwise I wouldn't bought it. So it's not the most beautiful design, ok. It has a more industrial look, but IT'S A GOOD MAC, and I haven't notised any delays whatsoever, and it can do mostly anything I do on my Studio. Not that I have tried absolutely everything though due to the smaller display though., and they have different functions for me.

But I am happy with it, and I really LOVE the midnight color.
As with mostly everything in life, a lot gets better, we miss some things, but LIFE IS NOW - enjoy it even if it's not always perfect. It's not supposed to be, contrasts exist to see and learn new things.

Let me ask you this though, were you truly in awe or excited by the purchase of that Air?

I remember back in 2007 getting one of those matte black macbooks that came with OSX snow leoapard. Old tech by todays standards but man, it just seemed so magical to me back then because it was that much better than the competition. I loved the design and it served me near flawlessly for 10 years.

My recent M3 Air is great but it definitely feels more like a tool that I had to get for work purposes, as opposed to something I really desired. Maybe its just an age thing but a part of me thinks that a little bit of that apple magic has been lost.

Reactions: EmanuelF

elliotmoore91

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2019

I get where you are coming from mate. The latest macs have all the bells and whistles that you would expect from a modern day laptop...but they do now lack that extra attention to detail that once made apple design so desirable.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Let me ask you this though, were you truly in awe or excited by the purchase of that Air?

I remember back in 2007 getting one of those matte black macbooks that came with OSX snow leoapard. Old tech by todays standards but man, it just seemed so magical to me back then because it was that much better than the competition. I loved the design and it served me near flawlessly for 10 years.

My recent M3 Air is great but it definitely feels more like a tool that I had to get for work purposes, as opposed to something I really desired. Maybe its just an age thing but a part of me thinks that a little bit of that apple magic has been lost.
Oh, I was very happy with the purchase, but no, definitely not in awe.
But as my 2018 MBA didn't do a lot for me anymore, I really needed a new MBA.
If I could've picked the form I would've picked the earlier form factor, no doubt.
Smaller and lighter, but it was old, and I prefer a Mac that can do things without the spinning wheel.

After all I have a Mac as a tool in the 1st place, not as a beauty accessory - it comes 2nd.
But I agree with you, there's absolutely no Apple magic anymore - it totally died with Steve and Joni's (and a few others) departure from the company.

Coreymac84

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2020
I like the current designs a lot but I'd be open to something more exciting. Even something as simple as colors like the iMacs have would be pretty cool. I'd get a pacific blue one myself
They just gave us a new color (space black) and all it does is wear away rather quickly. Hard pass on colors for me. I bought a space black MagSafe for my m3 max silver to keep the two tone going (after returning my space black mbp). It’s about as crazy as I want to get at this point with the terrible anodization process. The only thing they can do to improve on the current MBP in my eyes is eliminate the notch and thin the bezels more.

Last edited:

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
They just gave us a new color (space black) and all it does is wear away rather quickly. Hard pass on colors for me. I bought a space black MagSafe for my m3 max silver to keep the two tone going (after returning my space black mbp). It’s about as crazy as I want to get at this point with the terrible anodization process.

I really like the space black on my M3 and have had no wear issues and it gets a lot of use. The new process with a rough surface also hides fingerprints better than before.

The only thing they can do to improve on the current MBP in my eyes is eliminate the both and thin the bezels more.

I'm guessing the bezels are as thin as they can get and still maintain reasonable structural rigidity.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Asking for a redesigned MacBook is like asking for a redeveloped Porsche 911. Some things you just do not need to mess with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.