Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ufomism

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2022
Can you set a separate master password for the Passwords app? Don't wan't it to be unlocked with PIN or account password, feel that's not secure if device gets stolen. Thanks

JSchwage

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2006
Rochester, NY
Can you set a separate master password for the Passwords app? Don't wan't it to be unlocked with PIN or account password, feel that's not secure if device gets stolen. Thanks
If your Mac gets stolen you can always lock it or remotely wipe it using Find My. Obviously that won't work if the person who stole it never connects it to the internet but just thought I'd mention it.

F308gt4

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2020
You can easily export a nice CSV of all your passwords. How's that "lock in"?

How do you do that. I tried to see if I could do that on the passwords app, and I’ll be damned if I could figure it out.

I would like to use the app more, but unless I can easily export all of my passwords, it’s a no go.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
How do you do that. I tried to see if I could do that on the passwords app, and I’ll be damned if I could figure it out.

I would like to use the app more, but unless I can easily export all of my passwords, it’s a no go.

Ok tell me how to export to CSV.

File > Export All Passwords > Confirm you want to export all passwords > Choose location to save the .csv file.

Takes 10 seconds if that.

Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 6.31.16 PM.png

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
Is it better than 1password?
Define better? It isn’t as advanced or feature-rich, which is to be expected for a new native app competing with a purpose-built app. But it has the convenience factor built in without worrying about updating the app or installing extensions etc. So it’s very much a personal preference.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Define better? It isn’t as advanced or feature-rich, which is to be expected for a new native app competing with a purpose-built app. But it has the convenience factor built in without worrying about updating the app or installing extensions etc. So it’s very much a personal preference.

And its integration is what may pull
me away from 1Password. The latter definitely has more power features but requires more work to set up and use.

Tough call.

rforno

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2017
If Passwords supported other browsers (Firefox, Orion, Chrome, etc) it would be a stronger contender in my mind. But keeping it only limited to Safari is a non-starter since I don't use it very often (which I'm sure is why they only support Safari).

Reactions: adrianlondon

F308gt4

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2020
Ok, I have a question. Can passwords app have multiple accounts for the same website?

For instance, I use ADP for several accounts (former jobs, but still need to access the account).

Or, maybe a more popular case, many people have multiple Reddit accounts. Can Passwords save each of those accounts?

Edit: I just created a new Reddit account, signed in and saved it. It looks like Passwords saves both accounts, so I guess I just answered my own question.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
Ok, I have a question. Can passwords app have multiple accounts for the same website?

For instance, I use ADP for several accounts (former jobs, but still need to access the account).

Or, maybe a more popular case, many people have multiple Reddit accounts. Can Passwords save each of those accounts?

Edit: I just created a new Reddit account, signed in and saved it. It looks like Passwords saves both accounts, so I guess I just answered my own question.
Yes, Keychain was also able to do this before the Passwords app was introduced in iOS18.

Reactions: F308gt4 and BBDDVV

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
no way to use it to store secure notes? I tried but it seems to insist on adding a username and password as a ‘site’

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
no way to use it to store secure notes? I tried but it seems to insist on adding a username and password as a ‘site’

No. I also use this in 1P. I guess I can use Notes & lock it? but defeats some of the purpose.

I also just realized that Passwords does not have a Watch app. I use the 1P watch integration enough that it's a feature I don't want to lose. Unless I'm missing something and just didn't see how to access it?

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
No. I also use this in 1P. I guess I can use Notes & lock it? but defeats some of the purpose.

I also just realized that Passwords does not have a Watch app. I use the 1P watch integration enough that it's a feature I don't want to lose. Unless I'm missing something and just didn't see how to access it?
I can save you some time here: Passwords is a brand new app and isn't close to matching 1P feature-for-feature. I expect to see secure notes added in the future, but as you say, Apple may feel like that's what password-protected Notes are for.

If you're with 1P (I am too) then it's premature to fully migrate across unless you only use 1P for storing passwords.

Personally I use both, and intend to continue doing that. The horror story of someone on another thread saying their daughter lost access to their Apple ID which also meant being unable to access their Keychain passwords, which also meant they wouldn't be able to get to banking passwords etc, really underlined the importance of having something this essential outside of the ecosystem — at least to some extent.

twdawson

macrumors 6502a
I can save you some time here: Passwords is a brand new app and isn't close to matching 1P feature-for-feature. I expect to see secure notes added in the future, but as you say, Apple may feel like that's what password-protected Notes are for.

If you're with 1P (I am too) then it's premature to fully migrate across unless you only use 1P for storing passwords.

Personally I use both, and intend to continue doing that. The horror story of someone on another thread saying their daughter lost access to their Apple ID which also meant being unable to access their Keychain passwords, which also meant they wouldn't be able to get to banking passwords etc, really underlined the importance of having something this essential outside of the ecosystem — at least to some extent.
Couldn’t agree more.

Reactions: Webcat86

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
really underlined the importance of having something this essential outside of the ecosystem — at least to some extent.
What led us to 1Password ages ago was Apple‘s suite of services - dot Mac - which included keychain syncing support that my wife and I heavily used, paying the subscription price initially; the keychain support was discontinued when they migrated to the me.com system, so I found and began to use 1Password, as both of us can access it being able to see anything stored there by either of us. I’ve yet to have enough confidence that something like this couldn’t happen again. It really isn't likely that Apple would ever discontinue iCloud but I didn’t think they would discontinue dot Mac since it was a paid for service. And these days access to secure items and account passwords, since you can’t use 1234 anymore:), is vital. I have to admit that we use Passwords far more than 1Password these days but I’m not ready to let go just yet.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019

I had actually been using both (or at least passwords in Keychain) for a long while and had hoped Passwords the app would have more but it def doesn't. I've been testing a migration to Passwords/Bitwarden but it's a clunky duo. But will work for anyone who wants to save the annual sub fee of 1P.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.