Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Is it still not possible to access these passwords from a windows machine unless you have iCloud installed?

That is still the big selling point of 1Password for me. I can't install iCloud on my work pc. If they created a web app within iCloud.com for passwords you'd have me dropping 1Password immediately.

Reactions: aYvYyyPhNa

ic2

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2010
Rickmansworth, Herts.
I can see the mrs passwords in the app and I am sure she can see mine. Different Apple ID as well. Nothing to hide but not sure that should happen?

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
I had deleted my passwords as I'm using 1password, did the update and a number of passwords re-appeared.
Not sure you can trust Apple when it says things are deleted, I had left iCloud sync on the ensure they were all deleted across all my Apple gear.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
I can see the mrs passwords in the app and I am sure she can see mine. Different Apple ID as well. Nothing to hide but not sure that should happen?
On the same phone? I wonder if that’s because these are single profile devices

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Just jumped onto ios 18 and I also wanna know if you can import all passwords from 1Password into the new app, and if there is a plugin you can use on a windows laptop.

I use 1P frequently on my work laptop which is on windows.

marklcfc

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
My passwords I set up on the passwords app on phone, are not showing on the passwords app on mac since upgrading. Do they not sync with each other?

canadianpj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
I find it being its own easily accessible app, one which even imports and such is much, much more useful than it being stuck in a menu somewhere. Moving my mother to it now will be much easier than it would have before. I'm still going to stick with 1Password though but for her it's great.

jmccamb

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
Anyone switch off 1password? I am thinking about it but I am wondering if this will be a PITA if you need to access passwords on devices that are not logged in with iCloud (like a work machine)

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Anyone switch off 1password? I am thinking about it but I am wondering if this will be a PITA if you need to access passwords on devices that are not logged in with iCloud (like a work machine)
I also want to switch off 1P and stop paying for the subscription. But need to know what options there are (e.g. can you specify length of recommended password, include/exclude symbols) and definitely if there is a windows chrome plugin.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmccamb

MarcW

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Maryland/DC
I’m considering using the Password app on my phone, but my 2018 MacBook Air won’t be able to upgrade to Sequoia to support it. It could be a year before I get a new MacBook. How significant is this disadvantage?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I’m considering using the Password app on my phone, but my 2018 MacBook Air won’t be able to upgrade to Sequoia to support it. It could be a year before I get a new MacBook. How significant is this disadvantage?
I believe everything still uses Keychain, and the Passwords app is a kind of front-end to the passwords stored there.

So whatever you add to Passwords on iOS will show up in keychain on MacOS.

Disclaimer: I use Bitwarden and not the new passwords app (as I use Firefox as my browser and like the extra options Bitwarden provides).

Reactions: MarcW

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
So just confirming - There is currently no chrome plugin that allows you to use the passwords from the new password app on a windows laptop?
Installed the iCloud password extension and my passkeys are not showing up yet. Not sure if iCloud for Windows and/or the Chrome extension needs an update before it is available.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I’ve used Keeper for years but migrated all my notes to this new password app. My subscription with Keeper is for another ten months but if the password app works out then I will get rid of Keeper..

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
In order to beat 1Password, you have to be 1Password.

You've definitely missed something - a big increase in ease-of-access, making it a much more viable alternative to 1Password and others (including their subscriptions!). I'm personally looking forward to the possibility of ditching 1Password if this native Passwords app turns out to be fleshed-out enough.
If you get locked out of your Apple ID you can kiss your passwords bye bye. 1Password is still superior.

Last edited:

iwan073

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2011
The Netherlands
This app is so incomplete.
No options at all.

I want to be able to chose which characters are used, how long the password needs to be. A password generator basically

Reactions: JSchwage
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.