Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iTris6666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2024
I couldn't find anyone with the same issue on the internets:
the r
I use a MacBook Air M1 with the right click on the trackpad configured as 'click on the bottom right corner'. I have been using this since ages, like the second MacBook Air ever.
If I need to right click and drag, like for a contextual menu. Or a game that has panning on the right click, I use my right thumb to right click then I use my index to drag. It always has been working fine. But since sequoia, touching the trackpad with my index close the contextual menu or stops panning. This is unbearable 😩.

So I'm wondering if I'm the only one having this issue. How do you use the contextual menu with the trackpad ?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I couldn't find anyone with the same issue on the internets:
the r
I use a MacBook Air M1 with the right click on the trackpad configured as 'click on the bottom right corner'. I have been using this since ages, like the second MacBook Air ever.
If I need to right click and drag, like for a contextual menu. Or a game that has panning on the right click, I use my right thumb to right click then I use my index to drag. It always has been working fine. But since sequoia, touching the trackpad with my index close the contextual menu or stops panning. This is unbearable 😩.

So I'm wondering if I'm the only one having this issue. How do you use the contextual menu with the trackpad ?
try changing up the trackpad settings; then reboot, put them back the way you want it. see if you can 'jumpstart' things.

you're on a beta, and beta stuff happens. but the trackpad here works same as always...

iTris6666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2024
Thanks for the answer. Just installed 15.1 beta 2 over 15.0 beta 6 over my previous system , but I could also reproduce the problem with a fresh install of 15.0 B2. Could you confirm that you are in 'click on the bottom right corner' mode and that you can right click and drag ?

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Have the same issue with Sonoma and my new M3 MBP. It's annoying and I now just mostly use Control/click. I don't know what Apple changed, but something changed.

iTris6666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2024
So I investigated more:

I can reproduce since The first beta of Sequoia that I installed on my MacBook Air M1 I think 15.0 beta 2. It reproduced on every beta since, including 15.1 Beta 2.

I've tested a fresh copy of Sequoia on my Macbook Air : I repro as well.
If I install on the same machine a fresh copy of the latest Sonoma : there is no bug.

On my Mac Book Pro Intel 2019, I installed Sequoia 15 beta 6 and it doesn't repro.

So it is probably specific to either my model of MacBook Air, or maybe Apple Silicon Macs.

Since it also requires a specific right click option to show I guess it explains why few people see it.
And It confirms that is it a bug and not some new behaviour.

jazzmxx

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2024
had to make an account just to comment but yeah same issue here. clicking the highest point you can while having it still pull up the contextual menu seems to work more often than not, but it feels very unnatural. it seems like it doesn't like you clicking the very bottom right of the trackpad for some reason

edit: i take it back.. i think it just doesn't recognize it properly if your whole fingertip isn't on it? i can get it most of the time if i use my pointer and middle finger

Last edited:

iTris6666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2024
It never works for me: I press the bottom right corner with my thumb and the menu appear, while maintaining my thumb, if I put another finger on the trackpad, the menu disappear, same in a game where I find it impossible to drag while right clicking. I do the exact same manipulation in my Intel Mac Book Pro with Sequoia and it works. Maybe it is an hardware issue on my side, but it is weird that it disappears if I reinstall Sonoma on another volume.

SG-

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
for my m3 air it works fine if i enable bottom right click or bottom left instantly and consistantly. however I have it set to two-finger click since i'm just used to that.

Reactions: iTris6666

iTris6666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2024
I would be very grateful if someone with the same MacBook Air M1 and bottom right config would tell me if he/she has the issue or not.

iTris6666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2024
Thanks. Glad to know at least I'm not the only one.

I'll wait until the release for 15.1 and if it still reproduce, I'll try to contact someone at Apple directly

Willeboer

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2024
Similar problem: late 2019 Intel MacBook Pro updated on Friday 27 September 2024 — right click with 2 fingers not happening at all - have tried the bottom corner method with no success either. It's very frustrating. (Also it would appear that the computer does not sleep when the lid is closed...)

mac2048

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2024
Have EXACT same issue. 2020 M1 Macbook Air - Upgraded to Sequoia and bottom-right secondary click no longer works on the trackpad.

Extremely annoying. This has worked with every other MacOs version just fine. This is the first time I've had a major issue with a macos upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.