Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple last week announced a new raft of iPad Pro and iPad Air models, but news about a new iPad mini was conspicuous by its absence.

iPad-mini-review-thumb.jpg

Apple has not updated the iPad mini since 2021, so it is certainly ripe for a refresh, but fans of the smaller 8.3-inch device will have to wait a while longer for a seventh-generation model, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

Writing in his latest Power On newsletter, Gurman cautioned his readers not to expect a new iPad mini model "until the end of this year at the earliest." In other words, don't get your hopes up for an iPad mini 7 announcement during Apple's upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference in June.

Gurman expects the next iPad model to feature a newer processor, but few other changes. Other sources have claimed new camera upgrades could be included, as well as a potential fix for the "jelly scrolling" display behavior on the latest model.

Gurman previously said that a new entry-level iPad model is similarly unlikely to make an appearance before late 2024 at the earliest. The current low-end iPad was last updated in October 2022.

Article Link: Next iPad Mini Still Not Expected Before Late 2024 at the Earliest

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
Meaning he probably hasn't heard much at all I guess, so it's safe to assume they're pretty far away.

I can imagine both the A16 and the A17 Pro as iffy candidates to replace the A15 with. The A16 is simply too small of a jump and the A17 Pro seem to be a one-off.

So, I'm calling it now. An A18 iPad Mini with a rotated display-controller to shut down the jelly scroll blab. Not much else will change because quad-speakers, FaceID and 120Hz didn't make it to the new Air.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Although Gurman has had some success recently with his predictions, the iPad Mini is one device he has got drastically wrong before so take what ever he says about it with a large dose of salt.

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
All I want is a Mini with a new-ish chip (even M1 would be fine) and Face ID. Though I imagine Apple is adding more than that, hence the delay? Either way, hopefully it comes out this year.

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
All I want is a Mini with a new-ish chip (even M1 would be fine) and Face ID. Though I imagine Apple is adding more than that, hence the delay? Either way, hopefully it comes out this year.
The A15 in the current mini is newer tech than the comparatively old M1. Also the M1 as a class of chip is typically a better fit for bigger devices with better thermal dissipation and bigger batteries.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Fix for the jelly scrolling doesn’t mean any other changes, necessarily.

I remember the iPad mini 2/3 had the non-laminated display and the lesser color gamut display. Took years before it caught up to the regular iPad, only to be left behind again once the Pros came out.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

kerplunknet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2006
This prediction seems a bit obvious as they just had an iPad event last week. I would be shocked if they released another iPad refresh a week later…

Reactions: Jovijoker
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.