Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I was just wondering if there are any Hockey fans here. I've seen threads for Baseball and Football, but I'm a huge Hockey Fan and I've been watching quite a bit of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. My username comes from the fact that I love the San Jose Sharks and while they sucked this year and they are in some dark times, I will still watch them. I'm just wondering if anyone wants to talk about the playoffs, NHL News, and we could even use this thread (Depending on popularity) to talk about the offseason and next season as well.

I think there are some exciting things happening with Hockey now. From the new TV deals with Turner and ESPN, to the new Seattle Kraken, and I think these playoffs have been pretty fun for the most part. I wish someone would finally beat Tampa though, but I think this is Colorado's year. Man do they look good.

Anyway, Hopefully there is some interest in hockey here. If it's just me posting in this thread, than I probably won't keep it for long.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
High Scoring game in Tampa today so far. Carolina needs to stop taking penalties because Tampa's Power Play is almost unstoppable.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I'm surprised at the Montreal/Winnipeg series. I thought the Jets would have made it a series but the Habs have all the momentum now. While it's been done (Still made about the reverse sweep from the Kings to the Sharks), I doubt Winnipeg wins this series now. Not sure if I want to see a sweep or not.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I'm surprised at the Montreal/Winnipeg series. I thought the Jets would have made it a series but the Habs have all the momentum now. While it's been done (Still made about the reverse sweep from the Kings to the Sharks), I doubt Winnipeg wins this series now. Not sure if I want to see a sweep or not.
Montreal just put the broom away a few hours ago :) They are on a roll which is great but it will only prolong the Bergevin GM regime. Molson has no clue how to run a team but as long as the money rolls in he does not need a winning team. As a Habs fan since I was a boy in the 1960's it has been sad and frustrating over the past 28 years since their last Cup win in 93. Fortunately my mind is still sharp so the memories of attending games at the Forum in the mid 70's glory years are still vivid.

Reactions: decafjava

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Montreal just put the broom away a few hours ago :) They are on a roll which is great but it will only prolong the Bergevin GM regime. Molson has no clue how to run a team but as long as the money rolls in he does not need a winning team. As a Habs fan since I was a boy in the 1960's it has been sad and frustrating over the past 28 years since their last Cup win in 93. Fortunately my mind is still sharp so the memories of attending games at the Forum in the mid 70's glory years are still vivid.

This team looks like they took the momentum of the Toronto series and just carried it through the Jets. Now they are the ones who have to deal with the Rust thing, and I think this is the first time we've had a West and East coast team in the semifinals, because they either play the Knights or the Avs. Montreal might be waiting a while.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
This team looks like they took the momentum of the Toronto series and just carried it through the Jets. Now they are the ones who have to deal with the Rust thing, and I think this is the first time we've had a West and East coast team in the semifinals, because they either play the Knights or the Avs. Montreal might be waiting a while.
Yes, sometimes a break is not a positive rest and recuperation period. It can lead to loss of focus, momentum and over thinking. If it is the Knights I am sure former Habs captain Pacioretty will be eager to show Montreal made a mistake by letting him get away.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I have been out of the hockey world since moving to Europe, occasionally following the international championships like the recently finished World Cup. NHL interest has faded though I always liked the Habs even being from Vancouver (still like the Canucks though too). Be nice to lurk here for awhile to pick up on stuff.

Yes I heard Canada won, well done, I kind of had a soft spot for Russia though because of their "cheerleader".

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
BTW how have the Vancouver Canucks been doing, no I don't mean just mean what I could look up online for wins/losses I wonder what the team's direction is.

Apologies for posting the youtube clip without explanation, I made a couple of long posts on my favourite figure skaters on the "What's on Your Mind" thread and the young woman is Alina Zagitova, Olympic figure skating champion from Russia, father is a hockey coach so that explains her trying to boost the Russian team. Got beaten by Canada who went on to win the gold, not the days of the Canada /USSR matches I suppose.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I missed a good chunk of the game and but it sounded like the third period was non-stop action for a good chunk of it. It's a shame Boston couldn't keep it close, but go Islanders over the Lightning.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
it's taken me a few weeks to want to come participate in this thread.

You see..

I'm a Leaf's fan...

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I missed a good chunk of the game and but it sounded like the third period was non-stop action for a good chunk of it. It's a shame Boston couldn't keep it close, but go Islanders over the Lightning.
Good to see Islanders move ahead. Pageau is another good player that escaped from Ottawa.

On Boston Marchand can score but he is a complete idiot. Remember the face licking incident? He should be in a facility.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
1967 is long long ago isn't it :oops:

13 years before I was even born.

The Leafs Vs Habs series this year was the first time in my life that they've met in the playoffs.

and the Leaf's did exactly what I predicted they would do before the series started. They choked in the absolute Leafiest fashion possible.

Simply put: There was absolutely zero reason why Montreal beat Toronto, other than Toronto effectively throwing away the win. having 40+ million (1/2 the damn payroll) basically no-show during the playoffs was an absolute embarassing way to go out.

having done it now 4 years running. with the same game 7 chokes? I honestly don't know what to say anymore. Even this new core has something rotten to it. Matthews and Marner completely disappeared. your 11m / season players who were both at the top fo the points and goals charts, shouldn't be no-shows in playoff times if you're going to ever win.

and for yet another season, they choked.

I honestly think next year I'm going to be a Kraken fan. or at least until the Leafs do SOMETHING that gets them past round 1.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
13 years before I was even born.

The Leafs Vs Habs series this year was the first time in my life that they've met in the playoffs.

and the Leaf's did exactly what I predicted they would do before the series started. They choked in the absolute Leafiest fashion possible.

Simply put: There was absolutely zero reason why Montreal beat Toronto, other than Toronto effectively throwing away the win. having 40+ million (1/2 the damn payroll) basically no-show during the playoffs was an absolute embarassing way to go out.

having done it now 4 years running. with the same game 7 chokes? I honestly don't know what to say anymore. Even this new core has something rotten to it. Matthews and Marner completely disappeared. your 11m / season players who were both at the top fo the points and goals charts, shouldn't be no-shows in playoff times if you're going to ever win.

and for yet another season, they choked.

I honestly think next year I'm going to be a Kraken fan. or at least until the Leafs do SOMETHING that gets them past round 1.
Their performance or lack of does make you wonder. Money has never been a problem for the Leafs due to all the corporate season tickets but that has not helped them obviously.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Their performance or lack of does make you wonder. Money has never been a problem for the Leafs due to all the corporate season tickets but that has not helped them obviously.

Money and the Leaf's imho have been it's greatest problem since the expansion era.

most of the issues have almost always been ownership. We've had decades where the ownership was either extremely wealthy self centred criminals, or extremely large, and slow pension fund owners who don't actually care about the on-ice performance as long as the money comes in.

Leafs season tickets are 10-20 year wait list. they are frequently inheretted and passed down for generations. They sell-out the building every single game. Even when they suck. Corporate sponsorship is a guaranteed buy because of the over-bearing national Leafs coverageg that bell/rogers pushes.

the bad trend started with Harold Ballard. And if you truly want to know why it was such a catastrophic thing, and why it set such a bad future for the leafs, you need to actually go look at this mans criminality (Hes probably one person who the world is greatful hes dead). From Destroying Leafs property to save money, to his actual criminal time in jail. to recent findings that he probably knew damn well the pedophile sexual abuse ring that was active in Maple Leafs Gardens while he owned it.

so the glut of money, being the 2nd most wealthy hockey franchise, and a local population that puts our hockey players with the same fandom as movie actors and politicians has led IMHO, to a consistent stream of players who once they get paid, no longer truly think winning is as important.

Look at Matthews. He struts around Toronto like he's a superstar. The fancy cars, (before pandemic) late night partying. The mooning of police officers (back in AZ last summer) and the **** eating grin when in a scrum instead of pushing back. Once he got paid it's like he never figured he needs to step to the next level. Scoring goals in plenties in the regular season means nothing if you only score 1 in 7 games in the playoffs.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Money and the Leaf's imho have been it's greatest problem since the expansion era.

most of the issues have almost always been ownership. We've had decades where the ownership was either extremely wealthy self centred criminals, or extremely large, and slow pension fund owners who don't actually care about the on-ice performance as long as the money comes in.

Leafs season tickets are 10-20 year wait list. they are frequently inheretted and passed down for generations. They sell-out the building every single game. Even when they suck. Corporate sponsorship is a guaranteed buy because of the over-bearing national Leafs coverageg that bell/rogers pushes.

the bad trend started with Harold Ballard. And if you truly want to know why it was such a catastrophic thing, and why it set such a bad future for the leafs, you need to actually go look at this mans criminality (Hes probably one person who the world is greatful hes dead). From Destroying Leafs property to save money, to his actual criminal time in jail. to recent findings that he probably knew damn well the pedophile sexual abuse ring that was active in Maple Leafs Gardens while he owned it.

so the glut of money, being the 2nd most wealthy hockey franchise, and a local population that puts our hockey players with the same fandom as movie actors and politicians has led IMHO, to a consistent stream of players who once they get paid, no longer truly think winning is as important.

Look at Matthews. He struts around Toronto like he's a superstar. The fancy cars, (before pandemic) late night partying. The mooning of police officers (back in AZ last summer) and the **** eating grin when in a scrum instead of pushing back. Once he got paid it's like he never figured he needs to step to the next level. Scoring goals in plenties in the regular season means nothing if you only score 1 in 7 games in the playoffs.
You know the environment and problems well. As I have 21 years on you I am familiar with the Ballard years. Being a Montrealer I followed both teams from a news perspective but only one from a fan perspective. I attended my first game at the old Montreal Forum in 1967. It was the first season of expansion beyond the original six and St. Louis was the visiting team. As an 8 year old fan it was like walking into a shrine.

Reactions: LordVic

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Habs_nordsJPG.JPG

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
You know the environment and problems well. As I have 21 years on you I am familiar with the Ballard years. Being a Montrealer I followed both teams from a news perspective but only one from a fan perspective. I attended my first game at the old Montreal Forum in 1967. It was the first season of expansion beyond the original six and St. Louis was the visiting team. As an 8 year old fan it was like walking into a shrine.

I wish I managed to get to a game at the old forum. I've yet to actually visit Montreal in my 41 years :(

I know, je suis une personne terrible.

Once the pandemic is over and travel is allowed, at least interprovince, I might take some time off and travel across country. I would really like to visit the NHL buildings of all the Canadian teams.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I lived in Toronto for 12+ years, our two boys played hockey since they were 4 & 5 (everybody plays in Canada). When we moved back to the good ole USA in California we tried to keep up their hockey, but too expensive and rinks were hours apart. My older son still plays in adult leagues in Southern Cal (he just turned 50). Sad that the Bruins didn't make it, went to college in Boston for a while. Now in the East Bay area I kinda follow the sharks, but don't normally watch regular league games, playoff games are much better. I remember strapping a two four (that's a case for the Americans) of Molson's on the back of the motorcycle after work and racing home to see the Russia-Canada playoffs, great hockey.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
P
Those were the days. Years earlier Boston and Montreal had a huge brawl during the pre game warmup skate.
Philadelphia and Quebec had one in 1987 or 85 before the refs skated during the 2-3 periods.

the forum was a mecca, and Les Habs are cursed for moving from there.

labatt Ice was introduced that year, and the english had no idea what "bon pour une bière gratuite" meant printed on the free coasters they passed out at the gate, so gathered 21 they dropped from the floor in the lobby, and shared many beers with some nord fans that match.
what was heartbroken was seeing the Nords-habs live in le Colisee back in 1898 and the crowd was 50% each team.

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada

Matthews is definitely a good example, as is Marner. For me their peril is not that they don't really care, they're just scared to put themselves on the line because they don't want to lose their chance to be stars. They know playoff hockey is grittier and meaner and they shy away to avoid injury.

The stars just aren't afforded the space they would be during the regular season and so they're completely shut down. That does open the door for others though, which is why I believe Nylander got so many goals.

Same thing happened with McDavid against the Jets. The Jets played physical and McDavid couldn't do what he does best.

On the other hand, you've got a guy like Ovechkin, who isn't afraid of the physical play and knows how to deal with it so he's capable of showing up in the playoffs.

The refereeing is definitely different in the playoffs as well. A lot more is overlooked, which caters to grittier teams.

Just my two cents

Reactions: LordVic

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Thought these links might be useful though pretty sure you have all have them already.

NHL web site

App links

What other sites do you all use?

I take it no one here is a Vancouver Canucks fan eh?

I mainly use the NHL website. I post at the HFBoards forums and on reddit occasionally, but the main place I get my information is either NHL Network Radio on Sirius or the 31 Thoughts Podcast with Jeff Marek and Eliotte Friedman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.