Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fxstb2002

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2008
If I only had $1K to spend on a camera and lens, then I would not be looking at a 40D.

I would be looking at an XTi (or XSi) and a better lens. From all accounts that I have read, the kit lens that comes with the XTi (the IS one) is pretty good for a kit lens.

Spending ~$800 for a body and slapping on a $300 lens is the wrong way to go, imo.

I personally use the XTi, and spend the money on the lenses. I have a Sigma 10-22, Sigma 30/1.4, Canon EF-S 17-55IS and the 50/1.8.

So, if you are going to switch, I would suggest an XSi and the Tamron 17-50/2.8.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
If I only had $1K to spend on a camera and lens, then I would not be looking at a 40D.

I would be looking at an XTi (or XSi) and a better lens. From all accounts that I have read, the kit lens that comes with the XTi (the IS one) is pretty good for a kit lens.

Spending ~$800 for a body and slapping on a $300 lens is the wrong way to go, imo.

I personally use the XTi, and spend the money on the lenses. I have a Sigma 10-22, Sigma 30/1.4, Canon EF-S 17-55IS and the 50/1.8.

So, if you are going to switch, I would suggest an XSi and the Tamron 17-50/2.8.

I like what the 40D has to offer over the XSi though. I thought about that and eventually I will get more lenses...I just would rather have a 40D

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
As to "menu work"...changing camera models isn't going to keep you out of the menu system - in fact the more complex the dSLR, the more menu settings you have for both Nikon and Canon. Anyway my experience is that the ergonomics of Nikon cameras are better, in the sense that there are more direct on-camera controls of shooting, compared to Canon which tends to force you into the menu system more often.
More expensive/fancier Canons have less need for one to delve into the menus compared to lesser models, not more.
About the only time I ever go into the Canon Menu is to format card or clean sensor. Hardly a chore and not features you want too accidentally accessible.
I've always found Nikons clumsy and awkward and you usually have to read a manual or ask how to use basic things on one, whereas I found I could just take pictures with a Canon, without using a manual, even before owning one.

Their flashes however.... :eek: I have two slightly different models, which work slightly differently and I can never remember which combination of which two button need to be held down for several seconds, to get to what ever I've now forgotten I wanted the damn things to do in first place or even if it was the other flash I needed to do that on two button thing on....:mad:

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
I like what the 40D has to offer over the XSi though. I thought about that and eventually I will get more lenses...I just would rather have a 40D
I'm just going to pipe in with a question here. Why the 40D? Surely you would save more money by getting a 20D or 30D. Is there anything specific you want on the 40D? Getting a 20D would give you a fairly robust body and some breathing room, lens-money-wise.

dieseltwitch

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Personally I love my Nikons. I took the first D70 with me to iraq and it never failed me. A lot of my friends had other brands of both DSLRs & Point n' shoots failed a number of time. Nikon even gave me a "Bring back something that say Nikon on it and get a new camera warranty!"
It got blasted with sand storms, 140+ deg temp (flight line temps), got dumped, bumped and stat on more then once.

People may say this model has this or this brand has that, bla bla bla.... go with what you like and you will be happy.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I've always found Nikons clumsy and awkward and you usually have to read a manual or ask how to use basic things on one, whereas I found I could just take pictures with a Canon, without using a manual, even before owning one.

Feeling is quite subjective, for instance, I've always much preferred Nikon's ergonomics overall. To me the low-end Nikons have always felt more substantial than the low-end Canons too- but that's never really bothered me either way, I'll happily shoot with whatever's at hand, and I get that feelings of substance don't necessarily relate to real-world plastics longevity. I've never had any friends with either brand have issues with physical breakage.

However, I'll say that if you can't figure out *any* modern DSLR without the manual, then I think that reflects significantly more on you than it does on the camera.

I don't think any of my friends with D40s, D70s, XTs, XTis, XSs, 40Ds, D200s or D300s read the manuals before snapping any pictures. I probably had my S2Pro, D200 and D2x for a month each before I looked at the manual to see if it had any interesting features I wasn't using or couldn't find in the menus (didn't find any.)

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
I'm just going to pipe in with a question here. Why the 40D? Surely you would save more money by getting a 20D or 30D. Is there anything specific you want on the 40D? Getting a 20D would give you a fairly robust body and some breathing room, lens-money-wise.

I feel like the 40D is more up to date (obvious, lol), bigger screen, faster FPS...ect

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I'd suggest the 450D, kit lens and the 50mm 1.4!

Or better still,, the 1000D and the excellent 17-55mm!

Knomad

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2008
North Coast, California
From my viewpoint, there are two major factors to consider in the Nikon/Canon choice:

1. Is one or the other intuitively easier for you to use? This includes ergonomics and menu flow. This is all about personal preference, there is no better or worse, only different ways of doing things, and for some people one or the other just feels better.

2. How many lenses do you already own, and do you feel strongly enough about changing to be worth replacing that glass? Obviously no big thing if you own one lens, but maybe very important if you have six.

Nikon, or Canon, or any other quality brand will take good pictures. It's the person behind the viewfinder that makes the difference.

And only lemmings care what "everybody" else is using. Get what works best for you. As a Leica user I'm kind of lonely out here, but perfectly content.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
And only lemmings care what "everybody" else is using. Get what works best for you. As a Leica user I'm kind of lonely out here, but perfectly content.

Agreed... but since a DSLR SYSTEM in which you invest a lot of money and purchase lenses is a lifetime partner.... trust a company which is bound to make some great products in the future. And with this recession... it just takes a bit more to be careful!

P.S.: Leica is no mere mortal in pro Camera lineups.... :p

dieseltwitch

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Agreed... but since a DSLR SYSTEM in which you invest a lot of money and purchase lenses is a lifetime partner.... trust a company which is bound to make some great products in the future. And with this recession... it just takes a bit more to be careful!

P.S.: Leica is no mere mortal in pro Camera lineups.... :p

I Second!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
And only lemmings care what "everybody" else is using.

Not true, since the insinuation is negative. There are often advantages to using what others are using. For instance:

Widespread parts availability (such as batteries, memory cards, lenses...)
The ability to trade, borrow, rent or sometimes even find lenses.
The availability of third party equipment such as underwater housings.
The availability of replacement bodies.
The availability of a wide range of used lenses.
The pricing of all of the above.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Not true, since the insinuation is negative. There are often advantages to using what others are using. For instance:

Widespread parts availability (such as batteries, memory cards, lenses...)
The ability to trade, borrow, rent or sometimes even find lenses.
The availability of third party equipment such as underwater housings.
The availability of replacement bodies.
The availability of a wide range of used lenses.
The pricing of all of the above.

Yep, thats what I was getting at. The base is there with Canon for sure.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
This is apples and oranges here.

If you were using a film camera, then you go strictly for the glass. But we are talking digital where there are far more factors involved.

First - D90 deserves good glass. The Canon does too for that matter.

From what you are saying you could keep your 50-200 (which is an ok but not great lens) then maybe opt for something wider a bit later.

What you can learn from your 50-200 is to take it to its limit and then learn how to use software to get the most out of the image. Shoot RAW and come back to your computer and do the "dry dark room" process there. Your 50-200 would be a 75-300 on a 35mm which puts you in mild telephoto which compresses the image nicely at 75 and then up to a beginning long range tele (300mm). At distanced from say 180-300 you can learn how to steady a lens or use a tripod and enjoy nature work and bright light sports.

As for the Canon, you would be starting all over and 300 bucks isn't going to get you a lens much better than the 50-200 unless you went for a shorter ratio zoom that has high specs.

A nice start
d90 + 50-200 later get an approx 24-70 range lens (yes the overlap does come in handy) or a fixed 24mm lens.

Remember, there are 3rd party lens makers with some excellent lenses if you do research. Tamron, Tokina and Sigma come to mind and you have to know the range/model you want and check reports on them. All of them as example make very good macro lenses.

Just my 2 bits worth

- Phrehdd

Photo equip in past: Nikon FM, FE2, FM2, 8008, Mamiya 645, off model 4x5
(not one "super pro camera" just attached good optics)
Digi Cameras - D200, 17-55, 105vr macro, 70-200 2.8 vr. and various snapshot cameras

Mac Pro Quad 2.66, 9 gig RAM, ATI 1900, 4x1tb drives
LightRoom, DXO, LightZone, Photoshop CS4,

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I care less about the camera (except it has to be Sony, Nikon or Canon) and more about the results. Honestly, a better camera won't mean better pictures. I learned that important life lesson from my dad, whose work laptop is this ancient 14.4 Thinkpad.

sdphil

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2009
I just got a Canon EOS XSI and love it the reason I got it instead of the Nikon was exactly what you said too much menu work.
Anyway, Bought it from B&H on line with a 18-55 lens ( come with it you cant buy body alone in US) and I also picked up a 55-250 both canon both IS lenses. I also got a 4 gig mem card and remote all for less than 850.00 shipped.

Ok, so I currently have the Nikon D60. Its a great camera but I find to change controls its too much menu work. I am looking at exchanging the D60 for the Canon 40D or the Nikon D80/90. I see a lot of people with Canons (went to a Nuggets game and all I saw were white lenses:eek:). I'm very familiar with Nikons, but hear nothing but good things about Canons...I'm stuck. I realize a lot of the decision is based on personal preference/ergonomics, and as far as lenses go...does Canon have as wide of a selection as Nikon? This is a hard pick. I will more than likely pick up a body, and get a lens...not a kit. My max is $900. Thanks guys ;)

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
**UPDATE**

I just picked up a 40D body with a bunch of extras (Wireless flashes, grip, batteries, bag)!!! No lens though...I figured I would wait and ask you guys what a good budget lens would be. I want a prime 50mm...(I also need a lens as soon as possible for this weekend!!! Whats an ok lens to buy that could either be shipped to me by Friday...or even worse, that I can buy for 3x the price at best buy??). I was looking at getting a 70-200L but i'm gonna want something thats a bit closer as well. Give me your suggestions, thanks!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
**UPDATE**

I just picked up a 40D body with a bunch of extras (Wireless flashes, grip, batteries, bag)!!! No lens though...I figured I would wait and ask you guys what a good budget lens would be. I want a prime 50mm...(I also need a lens as soon as possible for this weekend!!! Whats an ok lens to buy that could either be shipped to me by Friday...or even worse, that I can buy for 3x the price at best buy??). I was looking at getting a 70-200L but i'm gonna want something thats a bit closer as well. Give me your suggestions, thanks!

First you say "budget lens," then you mention the 70-200L as a possibility. What exactly is your budget?

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
First you say "budget lens," then you mention the 70-200L as a possibility. What exactly is your budget?

Hahaha, I'm sorry I should have been more clear. I need a budget lens (~350) by/for friday whether that I have to buy it from Best buy, or get it shipped to me by then. The 70-200L is coming just not this weekend. I'll be getting one soon. Whats a good budget lens...prime or not?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Hahaha, I'm sorry I should have been more clear. I need a budget lens (~350) by/for friday whether that I have to buy it from Best buy, or get it shipped to me by then. The 70-200L is coming just not this weekend. I'll be getting one soon. Whats a good budget lens...prime or not?

I suppose it really depends on what you most want to shoot. You'll surely need something shorter than 70mm, so you might consider the 50mm f/1.4, which is more or less within your budget. Actually, the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 is supposedly the best optically of any brand. The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is also very much worth considering. But if you're not sure, you might just pick up an 18-55mm IS lens to cover that focal length range and figure out where you want to invest in primes.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
I suppose it really depends on what you most want to shoot. You'll surely need something shorter than 70mm, so you might consider the 50mm f/1.4, which is more or less within your budget. Actually, the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 is supposedly the best optically of any brand. The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is also very much worth considering. But if you're not sure, you might just pick up an 18-55mm IS lens to cover that focal length range and figure out where you want to invest in primes.

I want to shoot people/landscapes. I do NBA games too so a longer lens is nessessary. I was thinking about getting the 18-55 for this weekend...but Im not sure I can have it in my hand by friday! Where would you get the Sigma 50 1.4, adorama, BH? Thats gonna be a lens I get so if I can get it now then its all good. Thanks for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.