Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Doe's nikon make a better camera then canon ? Consider all things , body , lens , feature's . Or are they equal .

iSavant

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2007
Colorado
Ha, your question doesn't allow for the possibility that canon is the better, LOL

Anyhoo, Nikon for me :D

It's a very personal preference topic

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Doe's nikon make a better camera then canon ? Consider all things , body , lens , feature's . Or are they equal .

Both manufacturers make a range of cameras, all of them have strengths and weaknesses. Just like with vehicles, there is no "best," only "well-suited for what I do" or "not well suited for what I do." Moreover, the suitability is temporal- ~two years ago, Canon had the best low-light imaging cameras of the two, now it's Nikon- but "better" doesn't necessarily mean much- I can get great images from pretty-much any current and past generation DSLR on the market- how much "better" do you need, and how much "better" can you afford?

Right now, the D3x is the king of the hill, but few pros, and few amateurs want to fork out the sort of money that takes- even if the next step up is considerably more money and compromises in different ways- if you believe DXO mark http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/DxOMark-Sensor then Nikon holds 3 of the top 5 with Phase One holding the other two and Canon coming in sixth and seventh- but that's only applicable to the P65, P40, D3x, D3, D700, 1DsIII and 5DII- it doesn't "trickle down" except in specific ways to lower-end products. So, if you're not spending a few thousand dollars on a camera body, then a few more thousand dollars on lenses to go with it, you're probably looking at the wrong thing.

Together, the two companies hold about 80% of the global DSLR market, with Canon probably still slightly ahead, but losing overall to Nikon in terms of market share gains for the last 3-4 years running. Sony is the next-biggest player with around 8% of the market, everyone else has less than 5% each. This landscape is unlikely to change much in the next 3-4 years even if one or two of the other players go out of business or get sold. The only real player with potential to shake the market in a major way that soon is Samsung- but they seem to be content to try to out-maneuver Olympus in the smaller camera market for the short term and even with their huge retail presence, it'd take a lot of work for them to do anything significant in that timeframe.

Canon is a much larger company than Nikon, and all of the players have multiple lines of business, but with the global economic slump, Nikon has basically moved from optics company to camera company since the majority of their revenues are from digital cameras these days. Nikon's business model recently has focused on low-priced entry-level bodies and multiple lens sales- which has resulted in them closing with Canon for the first time in DSLR sales in their home market- a big metric for Japanese companies.

Neither company makes bad products, and I don't know a photographer who couldn't get pretty equivalent results using relatively equivalent models from either company.

Instead of looking for a "best," you should decide which factors are important to you, what your budget is, and who best fits your budget for those factors that are important. You can modify that with ergonomics between different cameras in each company's line, and future needs- but anyone should be able to easily make the case for either manufacturer unless they have a specific axe to grind.

We'll now return you to your regularly scheduled posting where everyone who shoots something other than Canon or Nikon will chime in about how much value you miss by not going with one of them...

Paul

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I like and shoot Nikon, but I sometimes look longingly at various Canon glass and wish I could use a given lens (hello, 135L).

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
I went with a Nikon D90, which I think is the best value in prosumer/amateur level DSLRs between the two. However, I was very tempted by the Pentax K-7. Between Nikon and Canon, it's really a matter of preference. I picked the Nikon because it felt better in my hands. Other than that, an equivalent Canon would've worked just as well.

dork

macrumors regular
May 24, 2004
San Francisco
It's all good

I assume that you're asking about DSLRs, and not just point and shoot cameras.

I agree with most of what everyone else has said - both Canon and Nikon make excellent cameras, and it is largely a function of personal preference. I myself use a Pentax K20D. I lust for a Hasselblad. My wife uses a Nikon.

The feature sets of most mid-to-high-end DSLRs are very similar, as is general build quality. And Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Sigma (etc.) all make excellent optics (and they all make some crappy optics too - you'll get what you pay for).

If you are buying a DSLR for the first time my recommendation would be to choose between models and brands based on the following two criteria: (1) which has a users manual that is easy for you to understand and follow [thus making the camera itself and its myriad features easier for you to understand and use]; and (2) which feels best in your hand.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
compuwar makes a compelling point. Your question is akin to asking what is the best flavor of ice cream.

Given a choice between the two, I would take the Nikon. In fact, I own two prosumer DSLRs—an Olympus E20N and a Nikon D40. Both are great cameras. However, the photos taken with the Nikon are beautiful beyond description. I love Canon. I would love to buy a Canon DSLR. However, Canon does not support USB Automount, a feature that is available on many digital keychain cameras. For me, this is a deal breaker. However, Canon supports iPhoto. For most Mac users, support for Image Capture, iPhoto, and/or Aperture are more than adequate. Different strokes for different folks.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
These threads always start out so nicely, with everyone being so overly even-handed and all.

That's how they start anyway. :D

Really, I think the only case a person can make against any of the camera companies is perhaps a business one, if you're worried about (just for the sake of argument) a company like Pentax going out of business. And, as has already been said, occasionally one company or the other offers a particular set of lenses that's better adapted to how you shoot - but it's almost impossible to make that call when you're starting out anyway.

I've loved my Nikon dSLRs. I prefer their handling to that of the Canon dSLRs I've shot with. But, similarly to luminosity, I am occasionally envious of some of the lenses Canon offers that Nikon doesn't - f/4 zooms in particular, which would go very well with my D700. :D Yet I would feel constrained having, say, the 5D's autofocus system instead of my D700's.

No matter which way you choose, you will almost certainly be happy. And, no matter which way you choose, there will always be some little thing or another that you'll see a different company offer but your chosen brand doesn't for whatever reason. There's no perfect camera - but almost all of them are very, very good.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Take a good look at the lens selection you'll have, because that's what you're really buying into. The cameras come and go a lot more often than the lenses do.

Just as an example, the Nikon 85/1.4 turns 15 next year. It debuted with the F5, which was Nikon's top film camera at the time. I think you know how things have gone in the years since then.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
We'll now return you to your regularly scheduled posting where everyone who shoots something other than Canon or Nikon will chime in about how much value you miss by not going with one of them...

Pentax currently really is the best bang for the buck. :p

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
what?? comparing Canon VS Nikon. Everyone knows that Leica is the best camera out there, especially the S2.

LOL :p

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
I rescind my previous suggestion of Minolta.

what?? comparing Canon VS Nikon. Everyone knows that Leica is the best camera out there, especially the S2.

LOL :p

Leica? Pfft. I think we all can agree that Hasselblad and Holga share the space at the top of the camera heap, though it's hard to say which of the two is better, quality-wise.

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
I like pie. Although sometimes i'm jelous of really good butter cream frosting on a big hunk of chocolate cake, warm pie feels better in my mouth. I started out with cake and it has a place for me but I still prefer pie. Ice cream works well with both but i've always found it more compatible with certain pies, and not just that but whipped cream is just works better with pie when ice cream is not feasible.
I guess in the end it comes down to personal preferance to most and it is hard to say which is better but for me i'll always be a pie lover first.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Both manufacturers make a range of cameras, all of them have strengths and weaknesses. Just like with vehicles, there is no "best," only "well-suited for what I do" or "not well suited for what I do." Moreover, the suitability is temporal- ~two years ago, Canon had the best low-light imaging cameras of the two, now it's Nikon- but "better" doesn't necessarily mean much- I can get great images from pretty-much any current and past generation DSLR on the market- how much "better" do you need, and how much "better" can you afford?

Right now, the D3x is the king of the hill, but few pros, and few amateurs want to fork out the sort of money that takes- even if the next step up is considerably more money and compromises in different ways- if you believe DXO mark http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/DxOMark-Sensor then Nikon holds 3 of the top 5 with Phase One holding the other two and Canon coming in sixth and seventh- but that's only applicable to the P65, P40, D3x, D3, D700, 1DsIII and 5DII- it doesn't "trickle down" except in specific ways to lower-end products. So, if you're not spending a few thousand dollars on a camera body, then a few more thousand dollars on lenses to go with it, you're probably looking at the wrong thing.

Together, the two companies hold about 80% of the global DSLR market, with Canon probably still slightly ahead, but losing overall to Nikon in terms of market share gains for the last 3-4 years running. Sony is the next-biggest player with around 8% of the market, everyone else has less than 5% each. This landscape is unlikely to change much in the next 3-4 years even if one or two of the other players go out of business or get sold. The only real player with potential to shake the market in a major way that soon is Samsung- but they seem to be content to try to out-maneuver Olympus in the smaller camera market for the short term and even with their huge retail presence, it'd take a lot of work for them to do anything significant in that timeframe.

Canon is a much larger company than Nikon, and all of the players have multiple lines of business, but with the global economic slump, Nikon has basically moved from optics company to camera company since the majority of their revenues are from digital cameras these days. Nikon's business model recently has focused on low-priced entry-level bodies and multiple lens sales- which has resulted in them closing with Canon for the first time in DSLR sales in their home market- a big metric for Japanese companies.

Neither company makes bad products, and I don't know a photographer who couldn't get pretty equivalent results using relatively equivalent models from either company.

Instead of looking for a "best," you should decide which factors are important to you, what your budget is, and who best fits your budget for those factors that are important. You can modify that with ergonomics between different cameras in each company's line, and future needs- but anyone should be able to easily make the case for either manufacturer unless they have a specific axe to grind.

Paul

D3x is king of which hill? Landscape? Fashion? Surely not for anything requiring speed...

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
D3x is king of which hill? Landscape? Fashion? Surely not for anything requiring speed...

The 3x has plenty of speed, in every category. It's got less burst speed and less high ISO ability than the D3 or D3s but it's no slouch either. The AF performance is the same.

The D3x is king of the hill for all except sports (in the 35mm DSLR format).

SLC

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
Canon, FTW !

or what's the other trendy internet slang; Nikon, FAIL!

:) In all serious-ness, I've been happy with my Canon gear but to be fair, I've never used Nikon :) to each their own.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
The 3x has plenty of speed, in every category. It's got less burst speed and less high ISO ability than the D3 or D3s but it's no slouch either. The AF performance is the same.

The D3x is king of the hill for all except sports (in the 35mm DSLR format).

SLC

That pretty much answers my question. The image quality from a D3x is simply stunning (and BIG)...

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I asked the same question months ago

Both Canon and Nikon produce superb photos. The best advice I got and what I recommend is to go to the store and feel which one feels better in your hands.

msmarks

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2009
which is better - neither is BETTER

a year ago i decided to buy a dSLR - i tested a nikon D90 and a Canon 40D.. I preferred the nikon - just personal pref..

with no previous lens baggage I was free to make a choice, but once you buy in to one family of lenses and accessories of course its then easier to stick with that make...

but for a first but its all preference:)

_[__]_
§(-_-)§

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
I've always liked Canon for their quality and ease of use.
But they also seemed a bit more affordable compared to Nikon when you take all things into account like lenses and such.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I like pie. Although sometimes i'm jelous of really good butter cream frosting on a big hunk of chocolate cake, warm pie feels better in my mouth. I started out with cake and it has a place for me but I still prefer pie. Ice cream works well with both but i've always found it more compatible with certain pies, and not just that but whipped cream is just works better with pie when ice cream is not feasible.
I guess in the end it comes down to personal preferance to most and it is hard to say which is better but for me i'll always be a pie lover first.

Loved your response. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.