Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
I was hoping to replace my Mini 5 with an updated model soon. Guess I will stick with it for a while longer.

Reactions: kp98077

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
How did we just have a purely iPad keynote, where iPad Mini hasn't been updated since 2021 (3 years ago), and it didn't get updated?
People are going to be pissed...
The iPad Mini is on the A15 which is technically the same CPU and GPU core architecture as the M2 in the iPad Air we got today.
Because they are keeping the Air on the M series but one generation old the mini has actually had a technically newer chip architecture than the Air for the last 3 years.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I thought that the iPad mini was to be updated in the 2nd half of 2024 or early 2025 with the A17 Pro, once they handle the heat problems.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
How did we just have a purely iPad keynote, where iPad Mini hasn't been updated since 2021 (3 years ago), and it didn't get updated?
You post this like the iPad mini's omission wasn't present in EVERY SINGLE RUMOR ARTICLE ABOUT THIS EVENT.

They ALL said to not expect it at this event. Hell, the price drop of the 10th Generation iPad was a total surprise.

F27

macrumors regular
May 24, 2022
Pretty sure it’s going to be discontinued like the iPhone Mini, right or wrong majority of consumers want larger screens hence the launch of the bigger iPad & MacBook Air.

Also the Jelly Scrolling issue didn’t help, maybe they can’t find a supplier willing to make a low amount order LCD with a control board not mounted vertically.

Last edited:

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
That little token mention Tim Cook made also seemed aimed at those who were at that point asking "wait, what about the Mini?" It seemed to only be said to remind viewers that they still sell it.

I'm thinking the Mini is slated for discontinuation.
I don’t think so. Everything that launched today was rumoured to launch today, and the word always was that the Mini wouldn’t come until the second half of the year, possibly Q4.

After today I am more convinced that the 11th Gen iPad will be the 5th Gen Air in different colours, and they couldn’t do that until the next Mini was ready to go - that’d cannibalise sales even more.

I’m starting to hope that they bring the old 9.7” back - in the edge to edge design it would still fill the Mini slot. But 1.4 inches is probably a bit much to expect in one go.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021

No one expected a Mini update really as no analyst or leaker reported we would see one. Sadly. But it's more of a product that's updated when the iPhone and Apple Watch are.
When it is updated expect it to get the latest A chip and I think it'll be pretty powerful for its size.

Not sure how many Mini's Apple sells either, although lots of members on here like it and use it.

Also no the iPad Mini isn't going to be discontinued.

Reactions: bousozoku

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
As others have mentioned, it was always rumored to have the mini update later this year.

I do think if this does happen, that this would be the last iPad mini if rumors of the folding devices arriving within the next 1-3 years as it would pretty much align with giving both a quick little update/refresh then Apple being able to pitch a more pricey folding device that folds into the mini size so that those who want a mini can't complain.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
It’s only 2.5 years ago, and the mini 5 took 3.5 years. It’s not unexpected for the mini.

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
As others have mentioned, it was always rumored to have the mini update later this year.

I do think if this does happen, that this would be the last iPad mini if rumors of the folding devices arriving within the next 1-3 years as it would pretty much align with giving both a quick little update/refresh then Apple being able to pitch a more pricey folding device that folds into the mini size so that those who want a mini can't complain.
The literal point is to have something I can comfortably hold in one hand. If I am unfolding something to the size of a clipboard I am still not interested. The obsession with giant screens is annoying. Max phones that look like a brick in your pocket and tablets the size of laptops that do a fraction of what laptops do. The mini is the only tablet that makes sense for me.

I guess I shouldn't complain though more money in my pocket.

SC54HI

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Count me in also as disappointed that an updated mini was not part of todayʻs event although I didn't expect it.

I use my mini far more than my larger iPad Air - its size & weight are nearly perfect for every use and itʻs highly portable.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
  • Fall 2024
  • iPad mini Pro
  • A18 SoC
  • 64GB / 128GB SSD options w/6GB RAM
  • 256GB / 512GB SSD options w/12GB RAM
  • 9" miniLED Promotion display
  • Apple Pencil Pro support
  • ???

Reactions: JeffreyVB

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
As a mini lover, not the current gen, I’m glad they didn’t announce a mini. I have no doubt it would have been a boring spec bump we would have all complained about. Until they bring oled+promotion, faceID, fix scaling issues, and revert the display controller orientation back for portrait viewing I have no interest in a mini compromise. I would gladly pay big iPad money for a Mini Pro and chalk up the extra costs to portability.

Reactions: IJBrekke

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Yeah, but also, Apple hasn't done an "iPad only" event like this before. Was a very weird omission.
right all that marketing is being passed right along to the consumer! 999 for base pro is nuts!

mvdw84

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Canada
I think it's always been a "later in the year" upgrade cycle - and I think it bodes well that it was still mentioned at the end of the presentation (rather than just deleted from the line up like the iPad 9). The new heating elements in the Pro line, might make it's way to the Mini too then. What I find more interesting is that there wasn't any real price adjustment on the Mini - which might also be a good sign that a refresh will come later in the year.

Reactions: Apple_Robert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.