Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adnanw

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Australia
I used to have suggestion with weekly summary on every Monday morning depending on the last weeks activity. It might go up or down depending on how I have done the previous week. However I have noticed that I have not received any such suggestion in last 3 weeks! Is it removed in the latest watchOS 7 or it has to be turned on anywhere which I missed?

Jimbo_H

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
I’ve had the same issue. I thought it was part of getting a new watch but maybe not. Especially if you are getting the same issue.
Ive been trying to find some sort of solution on the internet but I’ve had no luck. It seems in older versions of watt has OS there used to be a weekly summary toggle switch in the watch app on iPhone under activity. But that’s not there. I don’t know if that has been removed as part of the os7 update or earlier as I haven’t looked for it previously as I didn’t have a need.
It does seem like it is an issue with the update though as even unpairing the watch and setting it up as new watch hasn’t made a difference.

TwiceNightly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
If you open activity on your watch and scroll all the way to the bottom it's there, along with the option to change your goals.

I think they have taken emphasis away from it now that there are detailed trends in the Activity app on the phone.

Jimbo_H

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
Yeah I've seen that there but I personally liked having the watch suggest a goal each week based on recent performance. For me personally, they have literally taken away a feature of the watch that made it great. It's good you can now adjust the other goals but not good that it doesn't try and push you to do more as you get fitter.
Maybe they will add this facility back in as part of the new subscription based home fitness service coming out later this year (part of the apple one thing as well as a stand alone service). Very annoying if they do do this.

Reactions: Bchagey

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I miss it as well. I always went with the recommended move goal, it meant I never got very long streaks as eventually it would get me to a level I couldn’t meet every day. But I appreciated the run up to it in encouraging increased exercise each week.

I wondered if it had gone now that not only the Move goal can be adjusted, but also the Stand and Exercise, and so the recommendations would come back in a different and more complex form. Maybe it will be part of the Fitness service, let’s see. But I appreciated an algorithm setting my goal rather than me having the temptation to set it too low just to get badges.

Reactions: Jimbo_H

Jimbo_H

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
That’s interesting then. I even unpaired and set my new series 6 up as a new watch rather than restoring from backup to try and resolve this mid way through last week but still no joy.
I have raised it with Apple support. Got back to them today with an update that it still isn’t working for me so they are escalating the issue.
What type of watches are you guys using? I’m wondering if that might be where the software bug lies. I’ve upgrade from a Nike edition WiFi only to the series 6 stainless steel Apple edition. (Probably a long shot I know but if you guys that are still getting the summary are on Nike editions and those of us that aren’t are on Apple editions it could be related)

Last edited:

Jimbo_H

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
It looks like it should still be part of watch os7 as I found this from a bit of Google searching https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/watch/apd3bf6d85a6/watchos

B83DC06F-16AC-4576-B569-A3FC881C6A9C.png

zanswer

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2019
Siberia
I need to add notes to my first post, my wife too got today they week summary with activity ring suggestion on Apple Watch 3 Sport Series, but not Nike Edition.

I have Apple Watch 6 Nike Edition, but I don’t really think, that Apple disable week summary for other watches, I think it’s a software bug.

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I'm on Series 6 Cellular+WiFi, running the 7.1 beta with an iPhone 12 Pro running 14.2 RC. The text that @Jimbo_H posted above gives me hope that it's coming back, as that text talks about "Your Apple Watch suggests goals (sic) based on your previous performance." - since it mentions goalS (plural) that supports my idea that maybe the Summary will suggest not just a Move goal, but also Exercise and Stand ones when we come out of beta. But let's see.

IgiveyoutheFBI

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
UK
That’s interesting then. I even unpaired and set my new series 6 up as a new watch rather than restoring from backup to try and resolve this mid way through last week but still no joy.
I have raised it with Apple support. Got back to them today with an update that it still isn’t working for me so they are escalating the issue.
What type of watches are you guys using? I’m wondering if that might be where the software bug lies. I’ve upgrade from a Nike edition WiFi only to the series 6 stainless steel Apple edition. (Probably a long shot I know but if you guys that are still getting the summary are on Nike editions and those of us that aren’t are on Apple editions it could be related)
Mine is a basic Series 6 44mm Aluminium with Wi-Fi only and V7.02 paired with iphone Xs with IOS 14.1. I've restored it once a while back to try and fix the GPS mapping problem in Workouts (it didn't), can't honestly remember if it was working before that.

Last edited:

Adnanw

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Australia
Same here. I also liked to get the suggestion from the apple watch algorithm which always pushed me a little bit and sometimes it also suggested to lower it when I am not reaching daily goals few days of the week. Interesting to know few people are still getting it and some are not. So my speculation is that it has not been taken away, rather it might be a bug on the watchOS 7. My wife who is also using series 4 is not getting the suggestions for the same duration as mine.

Jimbo_H

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
Definitely a bug for sure. I’m wondering if it’s linked to one of the new features in os7 now. I wondered about the watch models as the recent update fixed an issue with the watch app displaying the wrong watch model. But clearly that’s not the case.
I did turn off the sleep tracking on my new watch as decided it wasn’t detailed enough after testing it on the series 4 before upgrading. It probably isn’t linked but I’ve turned it back on to see if it makes a difference just in case lol.

Adnanw

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Australia
Definitely a bug for sure. I’m wondering if it’s linked to one of the new features in os7 now. I wondered about the watch models as the recent update fixed an issue with the watch app displaying the wrong watch model. But clearly that’s not the case.
I did turn off the sleep tracking on my new watch as decided it wasn’t detailed enough after testing it on the series 4 before upgrading. It probably isn’t linked but I’ve turned it back on to see if it makes a difference just in case lol.
I do not think it has any relation with sleep tracking or any particular model such series 4. It appears to me as watchOS 7 related issue which emerged after some of us updated from the older OS. I am keen to see if it resolves with watchOS 7.* as I do not know if Apple is aware of this issue.

Jimbo_H

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
I raised it with Apple last week and updated them Monday that the actions they recommended to resolve the issue didn't work. Apparently they are escalating it. If anyone else having the issues could spare the time to also log it with them to raise awareness that would of course help.

Adnanw

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Australia
I do not think it has any relation with sleep tracking or any particular model such series 4. It appears to me as watchOS 7 related issue which emerged after some of us updated from the older OS. I am keen to see if it resolves with watchOS 7.* as I do not know if Apple is aware of this issue.
How do you raise it with apple? If you can guide me, I am willing to raise as well.

Jimbo_H

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
I downloaded the Apple support app from the App Store.
When you open the support app it start on your iPhone.
Tap products at the top left to see a list of all products linked to your iCloud account the select your Apple Watch.
from there I picked Health & Fitness from the list.
You’ll be presented with some default topics or describe your own. I went with describe my own and entered “weekly summary notification has stopped”.
It finally offered a couple of support topics or a call with Apple support where they call you. I selected the call option and logged the issue from there.
The guy it put me in touch with (on the health and activity support department) wasn’t even aware of the weekly summary notification but once I had explained the issue and sent him the link I posted earlier in the thread detailing this in watch os7 he took it on to escalate.
You might get lucky and get a support rep that is more knowledgeable or even knows how to fix it 🤞🏻
Hope that helps (if you still don’t mind taking the time to do it. Probably about 20mins if you have to hold like I did).

Reactions: Adnanw

Adnanw

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Australia
Updated to the latest watch OS version and still has not received suggestion yesterday!

Jimbo_H

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
Yeah same here. I emailed the Apple support guy that has been looking into this for me. He called me back and got me to run diagnostics on the phone and watch, upload the reports to him and now he is escalating it to the next level for further investigation. He did say that I may be asked to erase and restore my iPhone.

Jimbo_H

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
Before this iPhone was I on android for about 6 years. Previous iPhone was the 4. What is the erase and restore process like these days? Do you lose much or anything in particular when restoring your phone from a backup? Or maybe I should be asking, is there anything specific that I should manually backup before going down that road?

zanswer

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2019
Siberia
Before this iPhone was I on android for about 6 years. Previous iPhone was the 4. What is the erase and restore process like these days? Do you lose much or anything in particular when restoring your phone from a backup? Or maybe I should be asking, is there anything specific that I should manually backup before going down that road?
If you sync all apps to iCloud and you have iCloud backup, than you will not loose anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.