Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IgiveyoutheFBI

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
UK
Before this iPhone was I on android for about 6 years. Previous iPhone was the 4. What is the erase and restore process like these days? Do you lose much or anything in particular when restoring your phone from a backup? Or maybe I should be asking, is there anything specific that I should manually backup before going down that road?
I backed up my iPhone and restored while trying to fix the "missing GPS data" problem in Workouts, it took a while but everything seemed to come back OK, though I did have to reregister my banking app as I assume their security key couldn't be backed up. (It didn't fix the GPS problem)

Jimbo_H

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
If you sync all apps to iCloud and you have iCloud backup, than you will not loose anything.
sorry for the late like on that reply, I didn't get an email notification to let me know there was a comment.

So back on the watch os not providing weekly summary notifications. Apple support got back to me today and have given me what seems like a half arsed answer:

"I have received a response back from our Engineering,
They said weekly coaching relies on trends. After unpairing and setting up, use the device normally and monitor for a few weeks as it may need to calibrate."

So, my watch is new although I have been using the activity app and watch for over two years now so hence my suspicion of half arsed effort here (always use your full arse apple!).

The point I'm getting to here is:
Those of you that have stopped receiving the notification, are you all on new watches? Or have some of you just stopped getting that Monday summary notification all of a sudden. (sorry of this is repeating old info, I'm just trying to clarify to go back to apple support with to see if their point has some weight or not).

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
New Series 6 here, but when I've upgraded in the past the trends carried over from the previous watch and I didn't have any interruption in goal suggestions.

Adnanw

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Australia
sorry for the late like on that reply, I didn't get an email notification to let me know there was a comment.

So back on the watch os not providing weekly summary notifications. Apple support got back to me today and have given me what seems like a half arsed answer:

"I have received a response back from our Engineering,
They said weekly coaching relies on trends. After unpairing and setting up, use the device normally and monitor for a few weeks as it may need to calibrate."

So, my watch is new although I have been using the activity app and watch for over two years now so hence my suspicion of half arsed effort here (always use your full arse apple!).

The point I'm getting to here is:
Those of you that have stopped receiving the notification, are you all on new watches? Or have some of you just stopped getting that Monday summary notification all of a sudden. (sorry of this is repeating old info, I'm just trying to clarify to go back to apple support with to see if their point has some weight or not).
No, my watch is series 4 which I have been using for last two years.
By the way, the watch suggested a new goal yesterday (Monday here)after a long time.

Jimbo_H

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
so my thoughts exactly on the trends data being there regardless. Either way they are asking me to wait two weeks and see. I think we can safely say it’s a software bug especially as Adnanw hasn’t changed watch and has had the issue and has now randomly for the notification pop up.
maybe watch os7 has some bug that can make it lose track of or just ignore the previous trend data. Either way I’ll update here in a couple of weeks with how goes.

Jimbo_H

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
No, my watch is series 4 which I have been using for last two years.
By the way, the watch suggested a new goal yesterday (Monday here)after a long time.
Did you do anything like unpair then setup your watch again? (As that’s why they are now telling me to wait another two weeks. Regardless of the trend data still being there).

Adnanw

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Australia
Did you do anything like unpair then setup your watch again? (As that’s why they are now telling me to wait another two weeks. Regardless of the trend data still being there).
No, I have not done anything like that. Just used the watch I normally use in day to day life.

Jimbo_H

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
No, I have not done anything like that. Just used the watch I normally use in day to day life.
Thank you, I’ll email them back to highlight this as it backs up my argument. It’s got to be an os7 bug

Adnanw

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Australia
Got suggestion this week again. So seems like it has been working back to normal. However my wife’s series 4 is still not showing suggestion.

Jimbo_H

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
So you didn’t do anything and as mysteriously as they stopped they have now started again?

Jimbo_H

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
Fingers crossed mine resolves itself too. Maybe watch os7 in same cases ignores past activity and begins again fresh taking a few weeks to calibrate. I’m grasping at straws here.
mine thing I did notice is tapping the weekly summary but at the bottom of the activity screen on the watch on a Monday will give you the average for last week but lacks the software algorithm input as to what you should aim for this week.

Bchagey

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
I get my weekly summary that pops up every Monday morning..however the suggested move goal does not change automatically. Does anyone know how many times I need to beat the move goal for it to rise?

Jimbo_H

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
From when I used to get them (still not working for me) it wouldn’t change the goal automatically but it would suggest a new goal of ‘x’ number of calories to burn this week. I guess it also depends how much you are beating it by and for how many weeks you have been exceeding it and for how long you have been using the watch to track your daily activity and workouts.

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
The algorithm seemed to work on a several-week weighted average, so one particular good or bad week doesn't necessarily change the goal. However even on a week when it didn't suggest a change for me it would put the weekly goal at the bottom of the weekly summary with the - and + buttons in case you wanted to change it away from the suggestion. However the weekly summaries that I get now don't have that, it gives me the weekly graph and the stats below that.

It's now been over 5 weeks since I got my Series 6 watch, if it needed to reassess my usage patterns, I would have expected it to have done so by now...

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
I moved from a Series 0 on 4.x to an SE on 7 and haven’t received a summary since. Upgrading to 7.1 didn’t help.

I know I can manually ask for a summary now, but I want the “Smart Move Goal” suggestions.

Bchagey

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
After talking with Apple Support via text..they told me I need to beat my move goal 7 days in a row for the move goal to increase. However, it took me 2 weeks/beating my move goal 14 days in a row to trigger the suggested move goal. Now it is rising on it it’s own.

I lowered my move goal to 300 so I was sure to easily beat it even without working out..after 2 weeks of this it finally worked! Hope this helps

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
After talking with Apple Support via text..they told me I need to beat my move goal 7 days in a row for the move goal to increase. However, it took me 2 weeks/beating my move goal 14 days in a row to trigger the suggested move goal. Now it is rising on it it’s own.
This sounds like a change - it used to go up or down and wouldn't rely on a certain number of results. It would make a suggestion every week, even if the suggestion was to keep the level the same. I've been sick and in hospital, and it would have been nice if my watch had suggested a reduction in my move goal given there was a period of over 3 weeks when I didn't make it once...

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014
I haven’t been getting these either since upgrading to series 6 at launch. Any update, or changes for all of you?

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I'm still without, and no hint of a solution. Really annoying - for me, it was one of the key features of the watch.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
I haven’t been getting these either since upgrading to series 6 at launch. Any update, or changes for all of you?
Nope. It's still unclear to me if this is by design (since you can now configure all three rings) or if I'm supposed to get them.

Jimbo_H

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
Hey guys,

Mira been a while since I posted on this thread but i literally just fixed the issue for my watch. The fix didn’t come from Apple support as they still don’t have a clue other than the email I just sent telling them the cause of the bug.
The bug for me was caused by the bed time sleep schedule. I literally just disabled the sleep schedule feature on my phone and watch and within 10 mins I got the weekly summary notification pop up.
So yes it appears to be a software bug and it appears that for whatever reason, having a sleep schedule set stops the notification popping on your watch. So for now it’s a case of deciding if you prefer the move goal coaching or the rubbish sleep schedule which I’m not a fan of as it’s not exactly informative.

Reactions: dallardice

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Thanks so much @Jimbo_H - I removed my Sleep schedule last Tuesday and got my first Weekly Summary, with move goal suggestion, this morning. I can certainly live without the Sleep schedule so I'm delighted to get my move suggestions back - well done on tracking down this rather obscure bug!

Reactions: Jimbo_H

Jimbo_H

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
Thanks so much @Jimbo_H - I removed my Sleep schedule last Tuesday and got my first Weekly Summary, with move goal suggestion, this morning. I can certainly live without the Sleep schedule so I'm delighted to get my move suggestions back - well done on tracking down this rather obscure bug!
Glad I was able to help ☺️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.