Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I don't really understand Apple dumping the 7/7+.. I was actually expecting all remaining A8/A8X and A9's to be dropped but didn't see the odd split between iPads and iPhones..

It really doesn't make any actual sense and is quite arbitrary

They are already segmenting the iPhone and iPad line ups, within a given iOS version, based upon capabilities as it is. They quite clearly could have done that here if there were some particularly resource intensive features of iOS 16 that were best disabled for older devices.

• Haha
Reactions: chikorita157

slx

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2021
I've no complaints about my S3 with WatchOS 8. And I've bought my watch in November 2017, I guess that's what makes Tim upset...

Reactions: honglong1976

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
I cannot believe some of the comments in this thread. Seems everyone has overlooked that the OP purchased a Stainless Steel version of the watch and accordingly paid a hefty premium. I would naturally have the expectation that shelling out such premium provides a longer support period notwithstanding the fact that its a watch and expectation for such a device is they work for decades. Life cycle time for something like a watch should be at least 10 years (more for the premium versions). Had I been one of the people to shell out for the gold watch I'd expect support for my LIFETIME and maybe even my kid's lifetime when they inherit the thing when I kick the bucket.

Reactions: honglong1976

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I cannot believe some of the comments in this thread. Seems everyone has overlooked that the OP purchased a Stainless Steel version of the watch and accordingly paid a hefty premium. I would naturally have the expectation that shelling out such premium provides a longer support period notwithstanding the fact that its a watch and expectation for such a device is they work for decades. Life cycle time for something like a watch should be at least 10 years (more for the premium versions). Had I been one of the people to shell out for the gold watch I'd expect support for my LIFETIME and maybe even my kid's lifetime when they inherit the thing when I kick the bucket.

I would not expect long term support. They're electronic devices. I don't expect 10 years from a smartphone, I would not expect 10 years from a smartwatch. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I just don't see it that way.

Reactions: bricktop_at

bricktop_at

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2017
I would not expect long term support. They're electronic devices. I don't expect 10 years from a smartphone, I would not expect 10 years from a smartwatch. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I just don't see it that way.
I see it the same way.

By the way, even the S0 is still „supported“ in terms of being able to pair it to current phones and use it with the latest available software - which is not a given with other smartwatches.

utzelu

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2020
I don’t expect Apple to offer software updates for more than 5 years, but I do expect them to support the hardware with battery changes or other parts, for 10 years. That means they need to make the hardware repairable. This is not limited to Apple or smart watches. Unfortunately, as long as governments do not make it into law, it won’t happen. For the time being I am out of the smart watch market, until brands manage to support the hardware for longer periods.

targa88

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2021
The sad irony is that the AW3 had probably the best battery of its progeny.
I would rather prefer if they improved battery life as opposed to adding features ( that ironically will drain the battery more...)

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The material in the case has nothing to do with the technology inside. It's a TECH product - Stainless, Ceramic, Titanium, Gold cases are for vanity. Not longevity.

Reactions: TiggrToo

utzelu

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2020
The material in the case has nothing to do with the technology inside. It's a TECH product - Stainless, Ceramic, Titanium, Gold cases are for vanity. Not longevity.

It doesn’t mean consumers should be prevented from changing the battery if needed. Some people are ok with the stock apps and don’t need to upgrade every 2-3 years. The use cases of a smart watch are so much different than of a smartphone and the iteratively improvements are minor from one generation to another.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It doesn’t mean consumers should be prevented from changing the battery if needed. Some people are ok with the stock apps and don’t need to upgrade every 2-3 years. The use cases of a smart watch are so much different than of a smartphone and the iteratively improvements are minor from one generation to another.
I guess. We knew the batteries weren’t easy to replace when we bought them. Vote with your wallet!

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I traded in my old beloved Series 2 Space Black and Link bracelet (along with a FitBit) at CEX and bought an S5 Titanium, which goes well with my Pearl Nylon band (really well).

I will sell my Series 3 Stainless Steel tonight.

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

frankenhooker

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2018
Personally, I feel Apple should support everything it currently sells. My problem isn't the fact that Apple has dropped support for the Apple Watch 3, it's that it's dropped support while still selling it. If I were to buy one today only to find out it won't receive further updates, well, I'd be a tad miffed, Apple should really withdraw it from their stores.

As for the watch itself, it is long in the tooth. I still own one and it still does the basics (notifications, basic fitness) but it's sluggish. The recent updates it received hasn't done anything to improve functionality.

I've been hovering over the 'buy' button for a while regarding either the SE or a reasonably priced Series 6, it's time to make the jump.

Reactions: henry72

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Personally, I feel Apple should support everything it currently sells. My problem isn't the fact that Apple has dropped support for the Apple Watch 3, it's that it's dropped support while still selling it. If I were to buy one today only to find out it won't receive further updates, well, I'd be a tad miffed, Apple should really withdraw it from their stores.

As for the watch itself, it is long in the tooth. I still own one and it still does the basics (notifications, basic fitness) but it's sluggish. The recent updates it received hasn't done anything to improve functionality.

I've been hovering over the 'buy' button for a while regarding either the SE or a reasonably priced Series 6, it's time to make the jump.
That's my problem as well. Sell the Series 3, at least support it till it's discontinued.

The S5 is faster to use than the S3, but is it super-duper fast compared to it? Not really.

I would be perfectly fine with the S3 if it did enhance sleep tracking, everything else is just a bonus, but not really needed. The S3 was nearly perfect as it was.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Yep, time support was dropped for the S3.

I've been wearing an AW since S0. Held off on upgrading after the S3. Finally had to bite the bullet and get a Nike SE a few weeks ago (S3 hit the patio first day on vacation and the screen popped off - the actual screen was damaged - 3 vertical bright bars *sigh*). Was planning on upgrading to the S8, so timing was lousy. An aluminum Nike SE will bridge me until an S8 or S9 - we'll see what the feature set is). I've gotten the space black each time....the "space grey" aluminum will do for now.

I've also been running the betas for as long as public betas for WatchOS have been available.

Just saying all this to give you the background...agree that WatchOS 8 should be the end for the S3. It really doesn't have the legs for any additional OS code.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I think the S3 update issue has been resolved? I haven't had to restore mine in a while. Compared to my S4 the S3 is slow and thick. I think its time to move on.

Funny Apple Man

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2022
I think the S3 update issue has been resolved? I haven't had to restore mine in a while. Compared to my S4 the S3 is slow and thick. I think its time to move on.
My only Apple Watch is an S3 and its just painful to use. I barely use my watch and am not that devastated when its not getting support. I know it'll still work and function like normal even without support but its just better for Apple to stop selling the S3 altogether. The S3 just gives a bad impression to those who want try out an Apple Watch for the first time.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
My only Apple Watch is an S3 and its just painful to use. I barely use my watch and am not that devastated when its not getting support. I know it'll still work and function like normal even without support but its just better for Apple to stop selling the S3 altogether. The S3 just gives a bad impression to those who want try out an Apple Watch for the first time.
I quite liked mine. It worked perfectly fine with the stock apps, 3rd party ones were awful to use.

Mine was the 16GB model though. Everyone that complains about slow, sluggishness, has the 8GB one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.