Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slx

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2021
I'm only interested in health / fitness tracking, can't see much value in upgrading as there doesn't seem to be that much improvement. Maybe will get something like a hybrid watch that can track the main parameters, such as heart rate and steps, or maybe even just a good old wrist watch.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
I'm only interested in health / fitness tracking, can't see much value in upgrading as there doesn't seem to be that much improvement. Maybe will get something like a hybrid watch that can track the main parameters, such as heart rate and steps, or maybe even just a good old wrist watch.

You never know which coming iOS will just cut off series 3 and don’t let any series 3 or older Apple Watch even connects to that iOS. Especially series 3 is only 32 bits and Apple may suddenly decides just keep 64 bits Apple Watch and no point to ask all apps developers to keep supporting and updating 32 bits old versions.

Reactions: slx

slx

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2021
You never know which coming iOS will just cut off series 3 and don’t let any series 3 or older Apple Watch even connects to that iOS. Especially series 3 is only 32 bits and Apple may suddenly decides just keep 64 bits Apple Watch and no point to ask all apps developers to keep supporting and updating 32 bits old versions.
Yup, that's absolutely a possibility, but that is unlikely to prompt me to buy a new Apple Watch, most likely I'd get something either hybrid or just a normal watch, one less thing to keep me in the Apple ecosystem.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
Yup, that's absolutely a possibility, but that is unlikely to prompt me to buy a new Apple Watch, most likely I'd get something either hybrid or just a normal watch, one less thing to keep me in the Apple ecosystem.

I don’t want to be in Apple ecosystem too except iPhone since android phone is always out of support and partially broken after around a year.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012

not even apple would do that surely for at least a year after they stop selling them.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
I have been using the S3 for few days, so far it is pretty good. Apple store in my city does not have return policy but S3 is good enough for me.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
WatchOS 9 has a lot of new stuff and very likely more fancy interface, even they let you run with S3 it would be so laggy

iFan86

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2020
I've had the 3 series for nearly 4 years now. Prior to that I used a Pebble Time. As far as the hardware goes the Apple Watch is a huge step forward from the Pebble. As far the the OS goes I've never been that big of a fan of the usability of the 3, I can't speak for newer Apple watches since I've never used those. After all this time I still only have two decent choices of watch faces with hardly any new ones from the day I first got it. Third party apps still don't impress me on it. I used more apps on the Pebble then I have on the Apple watch. All I now use the watch for is Time, Temp and Notifications. I've gone through the period of having to wipe the watch just to install new updates (although the past 2-3 have all of a sudden just started to update). Personally I think I will probably look at Garmin for my next watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.