Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumpingjackflash

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2016
Scandinavia
I tried to google the difference between regular iPad and iPad pro and the only real difference I could find between them was the smart connector. Thats it.

All the other features like better display, bigger display, faster chip etc. are something that could, should and hopefully will be in the regular iPad also.

I simply cannot find the reason for the current iPad Pro category.

Last edited:

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I tried to google the difference between regular iPad and iPad pro and the only real difference I could find between them was the smart connector. Thats it.
Your Google must be broken.

Off the top of my head I would wonder why Google didn't mention differences in the display refresh, gamut, laminated panel, Face ID vs Touch ID, bezels, USB-C, RAM, CPU, GPU?

Last edited:

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
For those complaining about the high price, who is forcing you to buy a new iPad?

once you figure out this answer you'll very likely stop complaining

Reactions: chabig and jagolden

jumpingjackflash

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2016
Scandinavia
Your Google must be broken.

Off the top of my head I would wonder why Google didn't mention differences in the display refresh, gamut, laminated panel, Face ID vs Touch ID, bezels, USB-C, RAM, CPU, GPU?

Those all include in the list what I mention at the next sentence, that doesn’t judge the Pro-category. except maby usb-c.
[doublepost=1543786766][/doublepost]
All the other features like better display, bigger display, faster chip etc. are something that could, should and hopefully will be in the regular iPad also.

All of those will be in regular iPad in the future. So will regular iPad be called Pro then? IMHO smart connector and usb-c are not big enough different for making a new iPad category called Pro.

Like I said, there is really no reason for iPad Pro-category to even exist.

Last edited:

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Those all include in the list what I mention at the next sentence, that doesn’t judge the Pro-category. except maby usb-c.

All of those will be in regular iPad in the future. So will regular iPad be called Pro then? IMHO smart connector and usb-c are not big enough different for making a new iPad category called Pro.

Should there not be a MacBook and a MacBook Pro also? I’d imagine you understand the differences between those. Both have the same OS and can achieve a lot of the same things, the Pro just provides more power and other features that you mentioned. Those features will likely trickle down eventually, but the Pro will always be better. Different feature sets for different types of users, not too complicated.

Reactions: chabig

Mystro

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011

Yes and this is typically the trickle down effect from most top tier products to their more consumer friendly models. If my MB S-class technology trickles down to the C class in 6 years, does that make the C-class a S-class in 6 years? Apple runs bya American capitalism system that is why there is a incentive to dominate and invest into future advancements for a premium product.

Last edited:
Reactions: DNichter

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL

Are you seriously asking Apple to spend more money to design, source components, tool, manufacture, test, distribute, market, promote, build a web page, create an SKU, and set aside retail floor space to sell an additional iPad with 90% of the features of iPad Pro, but call it iPad and sell it to you for less?

Reactions: jagolden

jumpingjackflash

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2016
Scandinavia
Yes and this is typically the trickle down effect from most top tier products to their more consumer friendly models. If my MB S-class technology trickles down to the C class in 6 years, does that make the C-class a S-class in 6 years? Apple runs bya American capitalism system that is why there is a incentive to dominate and invest into future advancements for a premium product.

MB S and C- classes are different models (analog to iPad and iPad mini) but roughly in the same category (sedan).

Better comparison would be, let’s say MB S-class(iPad) and MB G-class (iPad Pro). Two different categories, sedan and SUV. If somewhow Mercedes S-class gets 4x4 and become an SUV in the future then yes.

Mystro

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
MB S and C- classes are different models (analog to iPad and iPad mini) but roughly in the same category (sedan).

Better comparison would be, let’s say MB S-class(iPad) and MB G-class (iPad Pro). Two different categories, sedan and SUV. If somewhow Mercedes S-class become an SUV in the future then yes.
Its all shared technology within the brand but traditionally the S-class gets it first and it eventually trickles down to the E then C class. Point is, you pay more for the latest technologies and features or you wait until it filters down to a lower price point vehicle after a few years.

jumpingjackflash

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2016
Scandinavia
Should there not be a MacBook and a MacBook Pro also? I’d imagine you understand the differences between those. Both have the same OS and can achieve a lot of the same things, the Pro just provides more power and other features that you mentioned. Those features will likely trickle down eventually, but the Pro will always be better. Different feature sets for different types of users, not too complicated.

Im not competent enough to talk about MacBooks because I don’t own one, But I think they are in a completely different category between iOS devices in terms of usage and sales. So I cannot really compare them.
[doublepost=1543791266][/doublepost]
Its all shared technology within the brand but traditionally the S-class gets it first and it eventually trickles down to the E then C class. Point is, you pay more for the latest technologies and features or you wait until it filters down to a lower price point vehicle after a few years.

Im thinking that the difference between Pro and non Pro models should be something so special that normal progress in technology cannot change that. Just like a 2 wheel drive MB C-class(regular iPad) will never compare to 4x4 MB G-class SUV(iPad Pro) in terms of off road capabilities. No matter what motor (GPU,CPU,motherchip) or big wheels (display size) you upgrade on it. It will allways remain 2WD vehicle(regular iPad). The basic difference in usage properties still allways remains, 2WD(non Pro) vs 4WD(Pro).

So where is the same basic fundamental difference between iPad and iPad Pro? It doesn’t exist.

Last edited:

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Seems to me that the iPad Pro is inexpensive for what is delivered. The screen is gorgeous, edge to edge. The CPU/GPU is blazing lay fast. The speakers are great. The battery lasts all day. The Pencil is phenomenal. It is thin and light, especially compared to all those heavy laptops I used to lug around. I put mine in a leather bag from sfbags.com and got to the coffee shop or library with no problem.

I get it. If money is tight the price is irritating. I don’t see that as a fault of the device.

jumpingjackflash

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2016
Scandinavia
Should there not be a MacBook and a MacBook Pro also?

If there doesn’t exist such a fundamental difference between those two devices that will allways remain, that justifies the Pro and non Pro-categories, then maby there shouldn’t be. IMO
[doublepost=1543794291][/doublepost]
I would suggest that with the exception of people who jailbreak the device, 100% of iPad users create and organize information on their iPad the way it's done on an iPad.

I originally said: mainly create, organize etc., Information on their iPad. There is a big difference if you do something occasionally or if you do something mainly.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Im not competent enough to talk about MacBooks because I don’t own one, But I think they are in a completely different category between iOS devices in terms of usage and sales. So I cannot really compare them.
[doublepost=1543791266][/doublepost]

Im thinking that the difference between Pro and non Pro models should be something so special that normal progress in technology cannot change that. Just like a 2 wheel drive MB C-class(regular iPad) will never compare to 4x4 MB G-class SUV(iPad Pro) in terms of off road capabilities. No matter what motor (GPU,CPU,motherchip) or big wheels (display size) you upgrade on it. It will allways remain 2WD vehicle(regular iPad). The basic difference in usage properties still allways remains, 2WD(non Pro) vs 4WD(Pro).

So where is the same basic fundamental difference between iPad and iPad Pro? It doesn’t exist.

I’m lost. You don’t own a MacBook, so that means you don’t understand the differences between a MacBook and a MacBook Pro? And because Mac’s have a smaller number of users and sales, that means you can’t compare an iOS computer to a Mac? It’s easy. Pro means more power and features, that’s it. Companies will typically differentiate product lines this way to hit multiple price points.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I have the 10.5.

The thing is.. it’s not just Pros that are being marketed as replacing your laptop - it’s the whole iPad line.

The hardware inside the iPad is mind blowing.. but Apple continues to put training wheels on it. Apple needs to realize that putting iOS on the iPad is like having an elephant sit on your chest. Let this baby breathe and give us a file system/iPad optimized iOS experience. If you want it to replace my laptop - why do you give it the same software with the same limitations as my Phone?

That has nothing to do with what magic school bus was stating in his post which I was responding to. He bought something he didn’t need if he’s struggling to find the difference.
I stand by my post. Some people are using apps that run faster and are easier to use on a large screen (11 or 12.9 inch) and are on par with desktop versions.
Many people just use "quickie" or lower level apps that are fine for what they want out of smaller iPads. I rarely use my desktop for other than iTunes management. The 12.9 handles so much else I need/want to do from spreadsheets to high level photo editing and vector drawing.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
For those complaining about the high price, who is forcing you to buy a new iPad?

I can understand the complaining, because Apples prices have increasingly risen with several other products over the last few years, and the iPad being one of them. If someone can’t justify the price point, They likely don’t need the product in itself, but the other tangent, is Apple has several models of the iPad available, and they don’t have to purchase the most expensive model depending what they plan on using iPad for.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2014
That has nothing to do with what magic school bus was stating in his post which I was responding to. He bought something he didn’t need if he’s struggling to find the difference.
I stand by my post. Some people are using apps that run faster and are easier to use on a large screen (11 or 12.9 inch) and are on par with desktop versions.
Many people just use "quickie" or lower level apps that are fine for what they want out of smaller iPads. I rarely use my desktop for other than iTunes management. The 12.9 handles so much else I need/want to do from spreadsheets to high level photo editing and vector drawing.
I agree. I guess I just thought it would be able to do more. The pro just feels restricted.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I love my iPad Air 2, and I was hoping to upgrade to the new iPad Pro.

I am able to afford the tablet and I don't mind paying an Apple 'premium' because I know it will pay itself back in terms of reliability, resale value and what not.

However, for me, the recent iPad Pro price points cross over into the 'obscene'.

Over here in the UK the 128Gb / 8Gb Surface Go was available last weekend with a keyboard for £509. The iPad Pro (256Gb / 4Gb with Smart Keyboard Folio, which I think is a fair comparison) comes to a whopping £1098.

That's over double the price for a 'computer' with a crippled OS. If I knew it would be a good future investment because Apple is planning a major overhaul of iOS I may be persuaded.

Does anyone else find it impossible to justify purchasing Apple products anymore?
Yup. Up to a couple of years ago you bought a small iPhone or a large iPhone, both 'affordable' in an Apple kinda way so long as you avoided the large storage options. Now though, in defiance of the value for money and great spec smartphones that are flooding the market from Chinese manufacturers Apple have inexplicably decided to hike their prices rather than compete. Now an iPhone comes in super-expensive and 'budget' variants. I'm sorry but nobody wants to be seen with a bottom of the range product and it totally defeats the point of shopping with Apple in the first place. The iPhone C tanked for the same reason.

Macs cost a bomb and can't be upgraded internally further down the road. iPads cost the earth unless you want a budget version that has no RAM and a cheap looking unlaminated screen. I can't see me buying Apple products down the line because I can get better for less elsewhere.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
A $329 device compatible with the best stylus on the market is a pretty big deal. That’s what’s pretty much getting ignored in this uproar - everyone is focused on the fact that the iPad Pro has been re-positioned up-market, while the bread and butter iPad that suits the vast majority of users has seen a dramatic drop in price. Apple is simply bifurcating the two lines more clearly now. Yes, there will be some backlash initially because previously there has generally been only one new model of iPad.
Meh. Both have suffered a significant drop in quality too. The cheaper iPad has one mono speaker, a cheap looking unlaminated screen and barely enough RAM to do the job. The Pro version has cheaper sounding speakers than the outgoing version and a bendgate situation.

So I see a drop in quality and a hike in pricing, all bean counter decisions. A truly premium company selling premium devices doesn't cut corners to save a few bucks per unit.
[doublepost=1543804781][/doublepost]

once you figure out this answer you'll very likely stop complaining
Lame retort. This is a discussion thread and the "don't buy it if you can't afford it" comments miss the point.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Seems to me that the iPad Pro is inexpensive for what is delivered. The screen is gorgeous, edge to edge. The CPU/GPU is blazing lay fast. The speakers are great. The battery lasts all day. The Pencil is phenomenal. It is thin and light, especially compared to all those heavy laptops I used to lug around. I put mine in a leather bag from sfbags.com and got to the coffee shop or library with no problem.

I get it. If money is tight the price is irritating. I don’t see that as a fault of the device.

But you more accurately just described the 329 iPad besides the edge to edge part.

jumpingjackflash

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2016
Scandinavia
I’m lost. You don’t own a MacBook, so that means you don’t understand the differences between a MacBook and a MacBook Pro? And because Mac’s have a smaller number of users and sales, that means you can’t compare an iOS computer to a Mac? It’s easy. Pro means more power and features, that’s it. Companies will typically differentiate product lines this way to hit multiple price points.

To be honest, yes. I’ve never owned a MacBook and I have only briefly used one. Long time ago. So I think I’m not aware of the difference in hadware, OS or usage of them or the difference between MacBook vs MacBook Pro. I have never really though about them. To make a fair comparison to the iOS devices, I would think it is essential to know more about both.

But like I said, I can make a general estimation between Pro vs non Pro device of any kind. For me, to justify the two different product categories, there has to be that fundamental difference between them, that doesn’t change over time. Just like a 2WD and 4WD vehicles does. Without that, they are fundamentally the same product. And without that difference, in the long run, one of them will allways dissappear.

Right now, such a difference between iPad and iPad Pro doesn’t exist. IMO

Do you think that Pro and non Pro iPads falls into the same or different product category? To me they are similar products in different product categories.

Last edited:

Samut

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
What Apple did with the Ipad when introducing the so called ”Pro model” was a similar move they did with Iphone X.

First they brand Ipad as Pro when adding new features which other manufacturers would add as normal incremental updates which are a part of advances in technological development.

Then they drop the old product line (Air) alltogether and introduce a cheap model which is actually worse than the previous ”standard” version and is based on several years old technology.

Reactions: VMMan and drzen

jumpingjackflash

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2016
Scandinavia
What Apple did with the Ipad when introducing the so called ”Pro model” was a similar move they did with Iphone X.

First they brand Ipad as Pro when adding new features which other manufacturers would add as normal incremental updates which are a part of advances in technological development.

Yes, what they basically did was they fragmentized the both product categories, for no obvious reason to me, and froze the developement of one segment of both categories, regular iPhone (iPhone 8 in this case) and iPad (non Pro model). Not a good thing IMO.

drzen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2017
Meh. Both have suffered a significant drop in quality too. The cheaper iPad has one mono speaker, a cheap looking unlaminated screen and barely enough RAM to do the job. The Pro version has cheaper sounding speakers than the outgoing version and a bendgate situation.

So I see a drop in quality and a hike in pricing, all bean counter decisions. A truly premium company selling premium devices doesn't cut corners to save a few bucks per unit.
[doublepost=1543804781][/doublepost]
Lame retort. This is a discussion thread and the "don't buy it if you can't afford it" comments miss the point.

This is precisely what is infuriating about the new Apple price tier strategy. The old “standard” tier of product gets downgraded to a “budget” priced variant that actually uses older, cheaper parts (like that unlaminated screen). Even my old Air 2 has a better screen than the new regular iPad. Apple never used to do this; every new improvement in display tech etc always made it forward into future models.

And so, if you really want a device with the newest state of the art tech, you now pay through your nose for it.

I have a 6 year old MacBook Air and an iPad Air 2, and I can either upgrade to a new MacBook Pro, or get an iPad Pro - it’s going to be difficult to justify the price of owning both.

Reactions: sunking101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.