Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I love my iPad Air 2, and I was hoping to upgrade to the new iPad Pro.

I am able to afford the tablet and I don't mind paying an Apple 'premium' because I know it will pay itself back in terms of reliability, resale value and what not.

However, for me, the recent iPad Pro price points cross over into the 'obscene'.

Over here in the UK the 128Gb / 8Gb Surface Go was available last weekend with a keyboard for £509. The iPad Pro (256Gb / 4Gb with Smart Keyboard Folio, which I think is a fair comparison) comes to a whopping £1098.

That's over double the price for a 'computer' with a crippled OS. If I knew it would be a good future investment because Apple is planning a major overhaul of iOS I may be persuaded.

Does anyone else find it impossible to justify purchasing Apple products anymore?
I upgraded from an iPad Air 2 to an 11 inch iPad Pro.

Face ID really is nice, especially when authenticating for website passwords.

The larger screen but just slightly larger body is almost enough alone to justify the upgrade.

I wouldn’t say the iPad Air 2 was slow, and iOS 12 definitely gave it a little more performance, but the new pro is so responsive and smooth.

Pencil support is nice. I could have gone with the 2018 iPad if that was all I wanted, but the thicker case and non laminated display bothered me more than I thought they would when I tried one out.

I considered the 10.5 inch, but the performance boost and larger screen sealed the deal. I figure the extra horsepower will make it so I can keep this iPad for at least 4 years like I did my iPad Air 2, which I still have.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
This is one of the reasons I love iOS. The API's are so tightly controlled the experience is almost flawless. But that control means you are very much at the mercy of the company exerting the control.

Sometimes it's also about habits :). Not always of course. For example I never have headache with Windows. I have every day with iOS. However I have used Windows all of my life. I started using iOS two months ago. I cannot say if this is how I would feel in 2 years, but this is definitely how I feel now. For me iOS is convoluted and it's so weird and not intuitive. I like research, but in this case even reading the Internet does not help. On one hand I find the Settings menu a cluttered mess. On the other hand I find absurd the loops I have to go through to share files between apps just because I do not have access to the actual files. If I had access to the files I would have the freedom to open them the way I want to open them.

I also find the Control center useless. I never care to disconnect Bluetooth devices but leave Bluetooth active. I want to deactivate the Bluetooth connection itself. Same for WIFI. Screen time settings for iPad and in general the battery settings there are lacking. I need control over my battery usage. Battery is hugely important for me. There are things that I do not need and I want to disable them. I can't do it because I have no overview of what is consuming my battery. I read that this is better on iPhone, but on iPad this is severely lacking.

I do understand that this freedom is not for everyone. I however not only have no issues with this, I look for it. So maybe it's about this. And maybe the people that want something more of the iPad actually want something completely different as a concept.

It's funny how for a lot of people there is still such a gap between the experience on work devices (by and large PC's running Windows) and the use of consumer devices (iPad). I remember an interview with Steve Jobs where he talked about wanting to disrupt the workspace as well, it would be interesting what he would make of today's situation.

Interesting that he wanted to disrupt the workspace. Any idea what he wanted to do?

Reactions: Booji

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018
I absolutely agree the Apple eco-system is limited. And, no, Apple can do wrong. There are things that annoy me about Apple products, but they are really little things, like the camera bump. Not the things that annoyed me with Microsoft and Samsung.

I hate the Surface line because the laptop drives me nuts. It constantly changes the way my docking works with my two monitors with no rhyme or reason. I get updates at the most inconvenient times and it takes 20+ minutes usually. It crashes. It’s a pain to hard reboot.

Samsung I loved in so many ways. I loved the customization of Android. I loved the cool features, although most of them were fun at first then I never used them. I didn’t like the never-appearing software updates, syncing music was imposssible, and Android was buggy.

I know Apple is limited. I wish in someways there was more customization options. I don’t know what allowing that would do to the stability of iOS, but perhaps we’ll get more in the future. Apple isn’t perfect, but I never have bugs, it works as it says it will work, it works all the the time, it’s simple to use yet offers some cool features, and their customer service is the best. Those are among the reasons I keep coming back.

Thanks for the honest response. I almost left Apple because of the bugs in iOS and MacOS. Updates are great, but just as I get used to a layout or a feature it's changed or "updated". I adapt and sometimes find it useful. My wife is less amused.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I'm the same way. After years of upgrading on every cycle, this time I am not.

What puzzles me is that Apple, in business science circles, has always been sighted as true experts in product pricing. I think now they have lost the plot.

IMHO, the new Pros should have been priced the same, or even a bit lower than last year's models, plus allow for the sharing of last year's accessories (keyboard, Pencil).
Okay honestly man. I agree with those complaining about the new pricing, but let’s be real here. Every time they do a price increase,there’s a big uproar online and then people buy them anyway. We see with the quarterly earnings reports that apple breaks records every single time and their ASP year over year always goes up.

So like while i for example complained about the price increase of the new ipads, what else am i gonna turn to if i want a great tablet? A crappy android tablet? Kindle fire? A blasphemous surface pro? I don’t like any of them. The problem is apple makes one of the best products on the market and if you’re already tied into paying for their services or ecosystem, there’s really no other choice. When you make a great product and then raise prices, it doesn’t make it any less worth it. Obviously there’s a threshold for people about what they’re willing to pay, but raising the price a hundred bucks isn’t going to turn many people away.

We had these same threads of outrage over pricing when the newer MacBook pro’s came out in 2016. People vowing to never buy apple again and wow. Look at that. Apple’s MacBooks division is still in business! Crazy right? Same with outrages over lack of headphone jacks or dongles or whatever. We complain, then chill out for awhile, then try out the product and decide it’s STILL worth it to us.

So in the end we complain and it doesn’t matter because the pro’s still outweigh the cons

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
I buy products when I need them not when they are released. I also buy used and refurbished. Currently using a 2013 refurbished iMac that I think I can get another 4 years of use before it dies, iPhone 8+ that I will have paid $300 less than Apple's price when it is paid off (and I plan to use for 4 years), a used 10.5" iPad Pro that I paid 50 cents on the dollar and a gen 3 Apple TV. Most people don't need the latest and greatest stuff and they certainly don't need to buy it the day it comes out.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
Lots of great replies. I suppose if you are an illustrator like @aevan it could be a good value proposition.

Like many people I suppose I just wished I would be able to use it as my main computer as it is such a brilliant form factor. Or even have it run full MacOS when docked at home (it should be more than capable of doing so).

I think it's just such a missed opportunity for Apple.

No... macOS running on the current iPad Pro hardware would be a terrible experience - running macOS on 4 GB of RAM? No thank you.

It might be interesting to run macOS through a VPN/Cloud experience, especially if they could tie in local services run by iOS to create a more partnered experience, but full macOS running locally on the iPad? Nope.

Rumor has it iOS 13 is bringing some big changes to iOS

This rumor has been around forever. There's more wishful thinking than there is fact. If you don't like iOS now, no amount of changes will make it any better for you.

I think the only reason people have any issue with the pricing is iOS. This new hardware is awesome, it isnt inconceivable that iPadOS is released in the foreseeable future and people see and iPad as more than a way to keep their kids quiet.

"iPadOS", "padOS", etc. - whatever you want to call it is more wishful thinking than reality. All a separate iPad OS would do is serve to lessen the amount of apps available for it. Developers are already in a position where they don't want to develop for yet another platform (most develop for Windows, less develop for Windows and macOS).

There are two paths for Apple to encourage better cross-platform app development:
  1. Work with Microsoft to create a development platform experience where it is easy to develop applications for multiple operating systems. Not all developers/companies want to buy Macs just to rebuild their apps in Xcode.
  2. Encourage the development of stronger web applications and build out Safari to be able to take advantage of such applications.
iOS is a powerful enough platform and the iPad Pro is a powerful enough piece of hardware, it's up to the Developers to bring more powerful apps to the iPad.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
There are two paths for Apple to encourage better cross-platform app development:
  1. Work with Microsoft to create a development platform experience where it is easy to develop applications for multiple operating systems. Not all developers/companies want to buy Macs just to rebuild their apps in Xcode.
  2. Encourage the development of stronger web applications and build out Safari to be able to take advantage of such applications.
iOS is a powerful enough platform and the iPad Pro is a powerful enough piece of hardware, it's up to the Developers to bring more powerful apps to the iPad.

Apple's is focusing on cross-platform app development by allowing iOS apps to run on the Mac. Once you start building iOS apps that have support for the Mac, like a mouse, menu bar, and keyboard, it seems like that some of that could flow back into iOS on iPad.

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
Like many people I suppose I just wished I would be able to use it as my main computer as it is such a brilliant form factor. Or even have it run full MacOS when docked at home (it should be more than capable of doing so).

I think it's reasonably priced for what it is. I checked out both in store a couple of weeks back, and didn't realize I was going to say "wow" aloud until I already had when I picked up the 11. It feels perfect. And for the price . . . I've had an iPad Air 2 since it came out, going on four years now. $1000 to upgrade to the Pro 11 feels fairly reasonable if I'm going to be able to use it for a similar amount of time.

I think the "main computer" debate is positioning the dilemma wrong. A lot of people seem to want a laptop replacement, but I think the iPad is more computer adjacent.

I'm a novelist and publisher. I've had no problem using the iPad for writing, though I'm not sure it's ideal for editing. Recently, I've had to format a document in Word from a PDF using OCR, and I don't think an iPad would be terrific for removing the line breaks. Or for designing covers in Photoshop. Uploading to Kindle requires using a website, so I don't think I can do that from the iPad, either. It looks like the new Pages has a feature for uploading a book to Apple Books, but I haven't explored that yet.

Because I have a Mac mini for all those things.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
The base iPad has been priced at $329 since 2017. And stylus support aside it's 2013-14 technology.

Why does the age of the technology matter? The real question you should be asking is whether the capabilities of the device as sold match the tasks you intend to use it for. If you answer that question realistically and purchase the correct device, what's under the hood won't matter.

It is definitely overpriced however you justify it. Mine was almost $1800 CAN with the keyboard. After two weeks I cannot justify the cost with the kind of use I have for it, so I returned it to Apple.

Got mine on a good sale so I’m good. Was 100 more than last gen, but with what I’m getting... it’s worth it. If people have an issue about price don’t buy it... it isn’t for everyone. I had to save up for many months to get one.
If price is no bueno, don’t buy one, grab a Samsung Tab S4. :)

In case people forgot, Apple currently sells 5 iPad models: iPad Mini 4 at $399, iPad 9.7 inch at $329, the 10.5 inch iPad Pro at $649, the new 11 inch iPad Pro at $799, and the 12.9 inch iPad Pro at $999. There is something for everyone here. Many people here who are complaining about the pricing are probably nerdy tech gearheads who want the latest and greatest, but can't or don't want to pay for it. Fine, get another model. Or switch brands. Or save your money. Or ask Santa -- after all, Christmas is coming soon. There is lots of choice out there, even within the Apple lineup, if you just look.

Personally I think the current pricing on the newest iPad Pros is fine. Apple likely invested a lot into the R&D for the new design, implementation of the Face ID camera, new display, new processors, etc. All of that has to be re-couped, and will be. Historically what happens is that the new adopters who will always buy the newest gear will pay the asking price, then after that slows, Apple will drop the prices a bit.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Folks complain about the sky high prices, but always jump on the highest end models. Honestly, the regular iPad is a state of the art tablet, with excellent Retina display, fast processor, and reasonably priced for the quality and functionality.

What's happening here is the usual tier marketing strategy of any product. Pull people incrementally into the highest and most expensive category by making them feel they must have it. It's not only Apple to blame here, but the nature of people's egos and often inaccurate idea of what they need.

martyhimself

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
No... macOS running on the current iPad Pro hardware would be a terrible experience - running macOS on 4 GB of RAM? No thank you.

It might be interesting to run macOS through a VPN/Cloud experience, especially if they could tie in local services run by iOS to create a more partnered experience, but full macOS running locally on the iPad? Nope.

They could make it 8 Gb of RAM at negligible cost. Have 128Gb as standard. And the new iPad Pro CPU's benchmark at comparable levels to Macbook Pro's I think? Dock it and it switches to MacOS and presto, a machine that outperforms a Mac Mini. Doesn't have to be a terrible experience.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Many people here who are complaining about the pricing are probably nerdy tech gearheads who want the latest and greatest, but can't or don't want to pay for it. Fine, get another model. Or switch brands. Or save your money. Or ask Santa -- after all, Christmas is coming soon. There is lots of choice out there, even within the Apple lineup, if you just look.

I believe you hit the nail on the head.

Reactions: JohnnyGo

djas

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2018
I buy products when I need them not when they are released. I also buy used and refurbished. Currently using a 2013 refurbished iMac that I think I can get another 4 years of use before it dies, iPhone 8+ that I will have paid $300 less than Apple's price when it is paid off (and I plan to use for 4 years), a used 10.5" iPad Pro that I paid 50 cents on the dollar and a gen 3 Apple TV. Most people don't need the latest and greatest stuff and they certainly don't need to buy it the day it comes out.

Thank you. I am finally learning this lesson. :)

Every year when the new iPhones & iPad are released, the Mr will starts the upgrade teasing. I always said "cos it's Apple new releases". No more.

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio

To add to your excellent point, and building on another one, the complaint that iPads "don't hold their value like they used to" is a positive benefit to those who feel the initial price is too high. If they simply wait a year, they can get the same iPad for a little more than half of the previous year's price. It always feels "new" if you wait a year or two before upgrading anyway. I always look for refurbished Apple laptops and desktops which I don't trade in until they die :)

Personally, I bought the iPadAir2 in 2014; the 9.7" iPadPro in 2016; and the 11" iPadPro in 2018. Two years is about right for me for both monetary value and upgrade purposes with the iPad. I really feel the new IPP is "worth it" for the upgraded processor, FaceID (amazing when at my desk, to set it in a stand and only needing to look at it to unlock), and clarity of photos and graphics. I have also found virtually no lag time when using the new Apple Pencil which is wonderful for taking notes in real time. But then I use it for work which makes it deductible;)

Reactions: B.A.T

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
So I was able to get a Black Friday deal which cut off $100 and there was no sales tax, so by doing that I feel that I bought mine for about the price that it was worth. IPad Pro 11 256gb w/ LTE with AppleCare for $1000 even. I’d say that if you can find a sale of some sorts it’s worth the update, but it’s not worth paying full price plus taxes for.

You do realize that even though the retailer did not collect sales tax, you are responsible for paying it to your state?

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
As others have said $329 is the entry price on the base model with pencil support. Seems really fair to me based on what you get.

If you have an issue with pricing, vote with your wallet, and don’t purchase. It is the power we consumers have.
When you ask how they get by with the pricing, it is because people pay that price, presumably because it is worth it to them.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
Comparing the IPP with the Surface Go is a bit dishonest. If you're going to compare the IPP with a Surface, then you should compare it with the Surface Pro, which is roughly the same segment.

The Surface Go is the MS equivalent of the regular iPad, and is nowhere near the IPP or the Surface Pro.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I happen to have enough money to buy the 12.9 inch with 256 GB of storage. Then I’ll probably buy the Apple Pencil and the Smart Keyboard.

The thing is though, I can understand why someone less fortunate would be angry about this. The pricing is definitely high.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014

This rumor has been around forever. There's more wishful thinking than there is fact. If you don't like iOS now, no amount of changes will make it any better for you.

"iPadOS", "padOS", etc. - whatever you want to call it is more wishful thinking than reality. All a separate iPad OS would do is serve to lessen the amount of apps available for it. Developers are already in a position where they don't want to develop for yet another platform (most develop for Windows, less develop for Windows and macOS).

It hasn't though. If you follow the right people on twitter you get a lot of insight. I am definitely not waiting for future features to justify my purchase today, don't do that. The rumor was that apple had some changes that was supposed to release with iOS 12. All I remember right now was a makeover of the homescreen. This got pushed to iOS 13 as they felt they had to priorities performance and stability instead. This is more than a rumor.

Macalway

macrumors 601
Aug 7, 2013
IOS just isn't worth this kind of money. It needs cursor support. If they had actually improved it (besides the pencil, which is ironic in itself), maybe I would buy one. The powerful cpu is unneeded with a gimped OS.

Sure it's great for iPad lovers, but the rest of us probably will stick with what we had. New buyers will probably buy the cheaper ones this Christmas. At least they have those.

They also could have at least given the iPad the ability to act like a monitor for the desktop. That would be cool. They have apps and things for that, but those are really hacks (although it's an option). That's just one thing more they could have done. Courage. :rolleyes:

Btw, the pricing would be just about right for OLED iPad :D

I don't think i've ever had so little desire for this type of Apple product. I went to the store and looked at them, and it's just the same thing (for HUGE money). Pencil is nice. Face-id on an iPad? Well, that maybe is a good idea for industrial and office type uses, but good luck with this Apple. Of course it probably doesn't hurt, who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: martyhimself

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I would say it depends on your need for it. When I got my iPhone X, I was VERY hesitant about paying $1000 outright for a phone, I ended up loving it with constant use and so it felt justified. However, when I bought the new iPad Pro 11, I couldnt justify it. While I absolutely loved the device, I still relied on my macbook to get my designs done; functionally (since I didnt get the pencil), it was no different than my mini 4. I spent a week just looking over the pro's and con's between the two, and were the differences worth the $850 price tag. My conclusion was no... I ended up returning the pro for a full refund. But I still love the device, if I can get a used one in a few months for $600, thats where Id be ok with it. But otherwise, Ill be sticking to my mini!

Reactions: wib and Booji
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.