Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coleblk

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2013
Stil very happy with my OnePlus 3 even though I only got it a few weeks ago. Waited so long to grab a soft gold model and it is BEAUTIFUL <3

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Pretty dang good review:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/21/13698156/oneplus-3t-review-price-specs-value

THE ONEPLUS 3T IS THE BEST SMARTPHONE VALUE YOU CAN BUY

That leads to the question of do the improvements justify the 3T’s higher cost, and I think they do. For $40 more, you get a phone with better battery life; for $80 more, you get that better battery life and twice as much storage. The OnePlus 3T remains the best overall smartphone value you can buy, when balancing performance, features, and experience versus price.

There are certainly reasons to choose a Google Pixel, Samsung Galaxy S7, or iPhone 7 instead of a OnePlus 3T (and if you use Verizon or Sprint, OnePlus isn’t even an option), but the gap is narrower than ever. If OnePlus is able to keep up this pace of progress, and is able to maintain its excellent value proposition, a year from now, I wonder if there will be any reason to spend $700 or more on a new smartphone.

8.8 VERGE SCORE

GOOD STUFF:
  • Great build quality
  • Fast processor and performance
  • Long battery life
BAD STUFF:
  • Doesn’t work on Verizon or Sprint
  • No certified water resistance
  • Quick charging limited to included cable and power brick

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I agree, for $440 it has high end flagship spec's, minus the display and maybe not the best camera, but it's almost half the freaking price of the phones it's competing against.

Hardware is flagship. Build quality is great. Design is sharp. Has a nice size 3,400mAh battery. And it runs a stock Android like almost Pixel type OS, more so than other phones that use a radically different UI like Touchwiz, Sense, etc...

I say for $440 the OnePlus 3T cannot be touched. Especially when the Pixel XL is $800+, S7 Edge $700+, iPhone 7Plus $750+.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I still have my OPO as a backup phone, and just use for fun around the house. I did a full complete internal system wipe, and clean flashed the official CM14.1, along with Boeffla kernel.

HOLY COW, this old OnePlus One running CM14.1 is OUTSTANDING, just blowing me away at frigging fast and smooth this old can still be. It really is amazing a phone made in Spring of 2014, runs just as fluid as my Nexus 6P does with PureNexus ROM. Makes me wonder what the OnePlus 3T would be like with CM14.1 ?

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I've been using a OP3 for a few weeks and it's a great phone. It's become my main phone instead of my 6S. The 3T looks like a nice little upgrade for an extra $40. If anyone is thinking about getting one I'd definitely recommend it.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Shame about no waterproofing and wireless charging, but both are forgivable given the prices. AHEM GOOGLE PIXEL.

I like what MKBHD said about the 3T: it's effectively the new Nexus.

I'm currently in sponge-mode over this device. Just consuming as much media/reviews about it as I can. I am very interested in this phone.

Any S7E users can comment on switching? Looking at you guys, @jamezr @MRU

Last edited:

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I made my order this morning and looking at a delivery of next Tuesday. At $480 for 128gb, I couldn't pass it up. I've been debating between a 7 Plus and Pixel XL for awhile now, and then this thing came available. At a savings of $400+ I'm getting a top of the line phone, in my opinion. The only thing I'll be missing is the camera and quick updates. But it looks like the camera won't be much worse, if at all, when compared to my 6s Plus, and I'm still torn if updates are really all that important as long as most security issues are resolved. Plus, they have stated that Nougat will be out by the end of the year. I'm really hoping that OP keeps this up, as they may end up being my go to company if I enjoy this phone as much as I'm intending to.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I made my order this morning and looking at a delivery of next Tuesday. At $480 for 128gb, I couldn't pass it up. I've been debating between a 7 Plus and Pixel XL for awhile now, and then this thing came available. At a savings of $400+ I'm getting a top of the line phone, in my opinion. The only thing I'll be missing is the camera and quick updates. But it looks like the camera won't be much worse, if at all, when compared to my 6s Plus, and I'm still torn if updates are really all that important as long as most security issues are resolved. Plus, they have stated that Nougat will be out by the end of the year. I'm really hoping that OP keeps this up, as they may end up being my go to company if I enjoy this phone as much as I'm intending to.

The $40 bump to 128GB is a no brainer. That's the one I would order, too.

Coming from an S7 Edge, I have more compromises to consider than you do, but if I was in your position, I'd say the 3T is a great call.
[doublepost=1479836142][/doublepost]Compromises coming from an S7E include:

1) Camera - It's a well reviewed camera and should only be a marginal downgrade. Really would love for S7E and OP3 owners to chime in if they can regarding this difference.

2) Screen - I love the S7E screen, but this area too seems like it should only be a marginal downgrade. Plus, the battery gains I would get could make up for...

3) No wireless charging - I will miss this feature greatly, but with a 3400 battery on a 1080P screen, I should be okay. Plus Dash charging sounds super.

4) No waterproofing - Sigh, this one is tough. As tough as it was to accept with the Pixel. However, the difference is the price. For $480, I can forgive the lack of waterproofing.

Are all those sacrifices worth it to get the 3T? I get a cleaner and even more customizable software, probably will get Nougat before the S7E will, I get to get out of my JoD thing with Tmobile (something I'm not really using as much as I thought I would. Go figure. This would allow me to save more money in the long run), and a few other miscellaneous things like no more hardware button, faster fingerprint scanner, mute button, and possibly better speakers?

Hm. Much to consider.

Reactions: jamezr

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Great value phone, but yeah not interested for myself (already looking to sell 3 2016 android devices as is) , but would have no problem recommending it for others.

Biggest compromise ..... putting faith in OnePlus to support it software wise after 8 months ....

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
The $40 bump to 128GB is a no brainer. That's the one I would order, too.

Coming from an S7 Edge, I have more compromises to consider than you do, but if I was in your position, I'd say the 3T is a great call.
[doublepost=1479836142][/doublepost]Compromises coming from an S7E include:

1) Camera - It's a well reviewed camera and should only be a marginal downgrade. Really would love for S7E and OP3 owners to chime in if they can regarding this difference.

2) Screen - I love the S7E screen, but this area too seems like it should only be a marginal downgrade. Plus, the battery gains I would get could make up for...

3) No wireless charging - I will miss this feature greatly, but with a 3400 battery on a 1080P screen, I should be okay. Plus Dash charging sounds super.

4) No waterproofing - Sigh, this one is tough. As tough as it was to accept with the Pixel. However, the difference is the price. For $480, I can forgive the lack of waterproofing.

Are all those sacrifices worth it to get the 3T? I get a cleaner and even more customizable software, probably will get Nougat before the S7E will, I get to get out of my JoD thing with Tmobile (something I'm not really using as much as I thought I would. Go figure. This would allow me to save more money in the long run), and a few other miscellaneous things like no more hardware button, faster fingerprint scanner, mute button, and possibly better speakers?

Hm. Much to consider.
Are you aware of the fact that the S7 Edge will allow you change its Screen Resolution between HD720P, 1080P and 1440P in its Nougat update? Thats with a 3600mAh battery. ;)
http://www.androidcentral.com/galax...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Not at all, OnePlus have gone from an amazing value, high quality startup to a company that continues to increase its prices without sufficiently improving its products. They are incrementally increasing their prices and the wow factor is no longer there. They should have stuck to their no advertising rule and kept prices low.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
I can't believe they released this with 6.0.1 Marshmallow. I don't have much faith in OnePlus to update their phones swiftly, especially considering Nougat was released back in August.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Are there plans to make a 128gb model of the soft gold? Anyone hear any word on that? It's currently not even an option on their site.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
The 3T looks like a decent phone. Good value for what you get with the 821, metal build, and dash charge. However, there's a clear trajectory oneplus are on with their ever increasing pricing. Nowhere near the price and value of their original.

After having the One, 2, and 3, I'm not even remotely close to ordering. The 3 suffers from a mediocre screen in both colour and resolution (pentile AMOLED @ 5.5-inches). Given you look at the screen during use, it is an odd place to cut corners.

Maybe the 3T camera is better than the 3 which suffered badly from over exposure and was oddly noisy in broad daylight. Taking static scenes is OK but don't get too hopeful about moving subjects.

The OS is nice but be wary of updates. And pray you don't need after sales service or returns.

If you can get by those shortfalls it is an option.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The 3T looks like a decent phone. Good value for what you get with the 821, metal build, and dash charge. However, there's a clear trajectory oneplus are on with their ever increasing pricing. Nowhere near the price and value of their original.

After having the One, 2, and 3, I'm not even remotely close to ordering. The 3 suffers from a mediocre screen in both colour and resolution (pentile AMOLED @ 5.5-inches). Given you look at the screen during use, it is an odd place to cut corners.

Maybe the 3T camera is better than the 3 which suffered badly from over exposure and was oddly noisy in broad daylight. Taking static scenes is OK but don't get too hopeful about moving subjects.

The OS is nice but be wary of updates. And pray you don't need after sales service or returns.

If you can get by those shortfalls it is an option.

Insightful. Thanks for this feedback. Definitely makes me reconsider the 3T.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Insightful. Thanks for this feedback. Definitely makes me reconsider the 3T.
Not sure how good they are with a 14- or 30-day returns in the US but if others have tried and returned successfully, it might be worth a shot. Might be a tough comparison against the S7E though.

This probably sums up their direction as well as anything else:
http://imgur.com/a/XQxC3

Compared to the OPO, they are definitely adding margin to either profit or pay for scaling up their business. I've nothing against either. Actually if they sorted the after sales side out and guaranteed swift updates for two years, I'd be happy to pay another $70-80 per unit.

They'd still undercut the major flagships by a decent amount and be a much better package for it.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
They suck at updates. That is true.
But you guys are forgetting one 'small' thing. OP3 is literally a 'open source' project. You have tons of roms already, all stable, and some far better then excellent stock rom. CM for example. Update it yourself, it takes about 10mins maximum :)

And I have owned OP3. Besides screen and camera, S7 can't compare with OP3 in perfomance and build quality department. Sure, they raised prices. But that is to be expected, since we can't expect them to sell 300$ flagships. They did with OPO, but they made that just to be heard of. I would be surprised if they break even with that phone...

And I'm the last one to defend OnePlus. I have on numerous times critisized them on this forum. They are a shady company indeed. But that still doesn't undermine OP3/T which are great phones. OP3 is probably best android to date in my book :)

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Why be worried about updates from OnePlus ? This is a ROM'ers phone, the 3T should be unboxed and immediately Rooted with TWRP Recovery installed, and the best CM14.1 ROM flashed right away.

CM14.1 is surprisingly very good and stable this early on, and gets better each night.

The OnePlus 3T with the latest CM14.1 Nightly is an awesome setup, giving you a very near Pixel / Nexus phone feel and operation, all for only $439, compared to $800+ for the Pixel XL, and for almost double the price, your only getting a better display and camera with the Pixel, which IMO is not worth a 75% price difference.

The Pixel XL compared to the 3T @ $439, makes me think the Pixel shouid be more in that $599 price range or so for the 128GB XL, that would be more realistic, now when seeing how good this new 3T is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.