Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
If you're a tweaker then sure ROMs are an option. However, my experience with cameras on ROMs isn't a particularly good one. That said, the 3T should be decent in terms of hardware optics so let's see if they've sorted the software out.

The screen is a whole other issue. I think it's one of the worst screens out there given the size, type, and resolution and really let's down the device. If we're comparing against others I'm not giving them a pass on 1080 pentile AMOLED at that dimension. You get what you pay for after all. Tech enthusiasts citing a value for money SD821 with 6gb RAM and big battery compared to more expensive options then glossing over an obviously poor screen is ironic.

It's a good phone no doubt. But whilst the camera may be closer to more expensive options, the screen, iffy software commitment, and company reputation for returns and warranty support, it's a bit of a gamble.

I value screen quality and the camera experience above most things so I'm prepared to pay for them. I'd rather spend £680 and be totally happy than £400 and know things could be better. Been there, done that with the OP2 and 3. Never Settle

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Can't wait to read your thoughts!

Just opened up my OP3T. It immediately required an update so I haven't done much to it. But all I can say is WOW. This looks like a $900 phone. The screen looks great to me. Coming from an iPhone 6s Plus it looks pretty good. The only issue I've noticed so far is the vibration is really soft. But I heard that coming in. I'm looking forward to messing with it this weekend and seeing if this can be my daily for awhile.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Just opened up my OP3T. It immediately required an update so I haven't done much to it. But all I can say is WOW. This looks like a $900 phone. The screen looks great to me. Coming from an iPhone 6s Plus it looks pretty good. The only issue I've noticed so far is the vibration is really soft. But I heard that coming in. I'm looking forward to messing with it this weekend and seeing if this can be my daily for awhile.

Real life pics please. Loving seeing new phones in real use.

Not sure if you had the Nexus 6P before, but would you consider this OnePlus 3T the next gen Nexus ? I don't count the Pixel, as that's in a different category now, but for the under $500 phones, the Nexus always shined #1.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Real life pics please. Loving seeing new phones in real use.

Not sure if you had the Nexus 6P before, but would you consider this OnePlus 3T the next gen Nexus ? I don't count the Pixel, as that's in a different category now, but for the under $500 phones, the Nexus always shined #1.

c76fb9dd820f89a869b055c989d1b9d2.jpg

I've just been updating apps and setting some things up right now. It feels really premium. Basically as nice as my iPhone. For half the cost. I had a 6P that I had issues with so I returned it before I got my iPhone. But it does seem very Nexus-like. It feels pretty stock with some nice additions. I feel like this is about the best bang for your buck in the phone world right now. I may still get a Pixel down the road, but this phone may keep me from doing that.

I also took a quick picture with it and compared it to my iPhone. At least on the screens they were comparable. I have a 6s Plus.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply, yeah the 3T seems like a sweet phone. I wouldn't bother with the Pixel if you have the 3T, hardware wise they are near identical. Just the Pixel would have a bit nicer screen, and better camera. But battery life I would guess should be better on the 3T, and the 3T has 6GB RAM compared to 4GB on Pixel.

And as far as software, I'd flash the latest CM14.1 right away myself.

Reactions: Wildo6882

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I would honestly give the soft gold 128gb model a try -- if only to tie me over until the s8 -- but it doesn't exist! Not out of stock or anything. It's just not an option.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I will be getting it and probably soon UNLESS I see folks reporting any unexpected problems. Tick tock.

Would like to know battery life as well though I'm sure fine for my needs.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Interested to hear how the camera is compared to the 3.

And if the touch response issues going around on reddit are a genuine hardware thing.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
As the first Nougat (Android 7.0) beta has been released yesterday, let's see how it goes and when we will see the final version.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Hm, what is this touch response issue I am reading about?

Can 3T owners chime in?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Is it just me or are we seeing more and more unexpected issues with new smartphones?By unexpected I mean not reported by reviewers who get a demo early on.

Remember I posted about me being interested in something but seeming to know something unexpected will manifest itself so I wait instead of preordering.

Reactions: kkh786 and Sensamic

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Pulled the trigger, even tough I said to myself I won't buy any more phones for at least 6 months.
But I really miss the OP3, just realised that today playing with one that my friend owns. And I'm gonna sell my HTC 10... Justifications, I know :D

Reactions: jamezr

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Is it just me or are we seeing more and more unexpected issues with new smartphones?By unexpected I mean not reported by reviewers who get a demo early on.

Remember I posted about me being interested in something but seeming to know something unexpected will manifest itself so I wait instead of preordering.
Completely true for a while now.

Reviews don't mention big issues with phones, like the touchscreen issues with the Nexus 7 2013, the GPS issues with the G4/G5, etc.

I read the forums to see if there are any issues with phones I'm interested in. No longer read reviews.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewers tend to be overly careful as often times they get near final phones and not always the final product and so it seems sometimes they overlook minor issues.

One has to do thorough research, watch multiple reviews and read multiple forums to get a clear idea

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
It is. Beta is already out, and it is pretty stable. In a couple of weeks OTA will be available to everyone.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
OP3T arrived at my doorstep on 19th. Using it ever since. And I'm in love. By far the fastest Android device I have ever used. Silky smooth, and ram management is simply astonishing! I was damn shocked by how many apps this thing can hold in background. I to test it out, I've installed a couple of games. FF IX is one of those games, pretty big and demanding game.

Even after full day of not using that game, when loading it up, the game stayed in memory. Well done OP this time, well done. I'm running OOS4.0 (leaked Nougat release), and this version should be official in a couple of days. I simply love this device, and it's gonna be hard for me to replace op3t anytime soon. Or at least I hope so :)

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
Hi,

I'm looking to change my iPhone 6 with the OnePlus 3t but I would like to know one thing:

Can someone tell me how you find the audio quality through headphones compared to the iPhone?

Thanks M.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Hi,

I'm looking to change my iPhone 6 with the OnePlus 3t but I would like to know one thing:

Can someone tell me how you find the audio quality through headphones compared to the iPhone?

Thanks M.
Exchanged my iPhone 6 with a OP3 too. Audio quality is definitely not worse.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
If you want Android, you can't go wrong with OP3t. Battery life is awesome, build quality is excellent, and this phone is the fastest android out there. And resell value is great as well. Camera is pretty good, not S7/iP7 quality, but almost there. I don't think you can go wrong by purchasing OP3t.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
If you want Android, you can't go wrong with OP3t. Battery life is awesome, build quality is excellent, and this phone is the fastest android out there. And resell value is great as well. Camera is pretty good, not S7/iP7 quality, but almost there. I don't think you can go wrong by purchasing OP3t.
Agreed,

If you don't want to pay the 'pixel xl' premium but want as close to stock android as you can get the OP3T is the route to go.

It's ridiculous to acknowledge that despite OnePlus having horrible launch hiccups in the past, it can still launch a device in more countries than Google themselves.

I just wish OP actually had a 5" version of the OP3T also available. (Like pixel and pixel xl)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.