Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Further testing the camera, it's really solid. The results really contend well with the Pixel. And not just cause it's nearly half the price. It's actually good.

Reactions: MRU and akuma13

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I have a question about the App Lock feature in the recents app preview tab. Are the apps preview concealed for security?

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Got my OnePlus 3T early this morning and have been playing with it almost literally the entire day (slow work day). Here are my early impressions:

OxygenOS is shaping up to be the best iteration of Android that I've used to date. It really is like stock Android plus some extra features. Nothing overwhelming, just an added layer of customization for users' preferences, and a lot of them are great. The software is blazingly fast and responsive. And so far very stable. Unfortunately, no Nougat out of the box, but I'm expecting that update to hit soon (I'm really looking forward to the display scaling option).

The build quality is excellent. It's excellent for any price range. Also, in my opinion, this is the epitome of aluminum design (sorry Apple, sorry HTC). Sleek, thin, comfortably ergonomic for a phablet, minimum bezels, well-crafted, and generally gorgeous details all around. The Soft Gold is understated and beautiful. The fact that the 3T is also smaller than the Pixel XL and the iPhone Plus should embarrass both Google and Apple. In fact, when placed on top of each other, it's not much larger than my regular Pixel! And that fingerprint sensor... faster than anything I've ever used before. Now that I've had experiences with both front and back fingerprint readers, I can conclude that I am in the front camp.

The big question was the camera and so far it's good. It seems to be holding up well against the Pixel (I've said in the Nexus/Pixel thread that I actually don't find the Pixel camera to be worth its hype honestly). I will still need further testing in more situations but so far the 3T's camera is promising and doesn't appear to be the immediate dealbreaker I feared it might be. I took a few front facing shots, too, just to try out the hyped 16MP front shooter. It rocks.

I have to hand it to OnePlus; everything about the 3T feels well thought out and executed so far. Even shortcomings have worthy tradeoffs. For example, the 1080P display may fall behind the screens of the S7E and Pixel XL, but it still looks great and should play a big role for the battery life. I've always knocked OEMs like Sony for updating their hardware too frequently or early in their cycle, but in this case, the 3T update seems to make a lot of sense. The larger battery in the same design, the improved front camera, even pushing Nougat out so early... all sensible decisions that are made even better by its incredible price point.

At this rate, if it keeps impressing, the Pixel doesn't stand a good chance at staying. And with so much to look forward to in terms of this year's flagships, saving money now feels like a wise move to allow me more play later. It's terrific that I can still have a flagship experience while saving money.

Other tidbits:

-Even the packaging is superb, especially for something at this price.

-Comes with a screen protector already applied. OnePlus pulling out all the stops. However, I'll likely remove it as I've grown to really love completely naked phones.

-While I miss certain things about the Pixel launcher (like the slide-up app drawer), OxygenOS more than makes up for it with plenty of its own useful gestures and added features.

-Dash charging really is fast. I had about 35% out of the box and plugged in the Dash charger and the next time I looked at it, it was at 60+%.

-I don't know if I'm just used to the Pixel launcher's smaller icons, but the icons on OxygenOS look absurdly large. That's why I'm looking forward to the display scaling option when the Nougat update hits.

-Volume rocker is great especially since the Pixel doesn't have ANY sort of ring/vibration toggle (absolutely idiotic that I have to literally change my volume a little in order to access more sound settings on the Pixel).

-I think I'm a phablet person now. I actually miss the larger screen. Easier to see, easier to type on, yet without being overly large in footprint.

-Three-finger gesture to take a screen shot >>> hardware power/volume buttons. So much easier. Again, it's these little sensible added features that really make the software experience.

-App Locker is another excellent feature. Allows you to protect any app you want with your fingerprint.

I haven't played with the 3T yet, just the 3.

I agree about the Pixel being a bit overhyped now. It's just a great, solid phone that does almost everything well, and the camera is excellent in certain circumstances, but in general no better than the S7. Great first outing but should improve with next version.

The 3T is probably the best option around right now, especially (but not exclusively) for the price. And I'm going on how good the 3 was.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
A few more tidbits:

-The vibration is serviceable, but it's weaker than the regular Pixel.

-Battery life has been a champ so far. And I have to reiterate, Dash charging is legit. It recharges so quickly.

-Speakers are a toss up between this and the regular Pixel. They're both fine. This is definitely an area that both phones can improve on in 2017.

-LOVE the option to turn on software keys. Really, all the little extra software features go a long way. For example, being able to de-clutter some of the icons in the Status Bar? That's lovely. App Locker lets you fingerprint secure any app, also lovely. Display scaling is terrific. Swiping up anywhere on my home screens launches Google search which means I don't have to reach all the way up to that top bar.

-Some of the Gestures are gimmicky (like drawing letters to quick launch camera or the flashlight) but I can simply turn them off. And the Gestures I do like are genuinely useful and smart: Three-finger screenshot is fast and easy to do. Double tap to wake works better than the Pixel. Did you know you can also double tap to put it back to sleep immediately after? :)

Smart, clean, sensible extra features on top of a near stock experience (not to be confused with the Pixel launcher experience). Once again, proving customization is more than just aesthetics. Things are easier to do and my 3T feels catered to me.

Last edited:

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
A few more tidbits:

-Battery life has been a champ so far. And I have to reiterate, Dash charging is legit. It recharges so quickly.

-Speakers are a toss up between this and the regular Pixel. They're both fine. This is definitely an area that both phones can improve on in 2017.

-LOVE the option to turn on software keys. Really, all the little extra software features go a long way. For example, being able to de-clutter some of the icons in the Status Bar? That's lovely. App Locker lets you fingerprint secure any app, also lovely. Display scaling is terrific. Swiping up anywhere on my home screens launches Google search which means I don't have to reach all the way up to that top bar.

-Some of the Gestures are gimmicky (like drawing letters to quick launch camera or the flashlight) but I can simply turn them off. And the Gestures I do like are genuinely useful and smart: Three-finger screenshot is fast and easy to do. Double tap to wake works better than the Pixel. Did you know you can also double tap to put it back to sleep immediately after? :)

Smart, clean, sensible extra features on top of a near stock experience (not to be confused with the Pixel launcher experience). Once again, proving customization is more than just aesthetics. Things are easier to do and my 3T feels catered to me.
You can declutter the status bar on a Pixel as well. There's a hidden menu. System tuner.

Reactions: MRU and epicrayban

Osaka23

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
A few more tidbits:

Your reviews are making me reconsider trying the 3T again. The phone is a beast! I don't know why the phone I had took blurry photos. Every photo I took were blurry and had a yellow-ish tinge to it. Maybe I had a faultly unit.

Could you upload some sample photos? I different lighting conditions?

The 3T is what the Pixel should of been. Oneplus will fill the Nexus hole Google vacated.

Oneplus has the magical formula here. I hope they continue to combine great prices for flag ship specs!

Great review.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Your reviews are making me reconsider trying the 3T again. The phone is a beast! I don't know why the phone I had took blurry photos. Every photo I took were blurry and had a yellow-ish tinge to it. Maybe I had a faultly unit.

The 3T is what the Pixel should of been. Oneplus will fill the Nexus hole Google vacated.

Oneplus has the magical formula here. I hope they continue to combine great prices for flag ship specs!

Great review.

Argh, I actually just deleted all my test photos today (they were just of really random stuff). I'll post what I have, and some more possibly down the road as I continue snapping pics through the week.

The irony is, I found blurry photos with my Pixel (which I just shipped off back to Google). It's possible OnePlus updated the camera software for the Nougat update? I don't know. Or my expectations were low -- I basically accepted the fact long before my 3T arrived that it won't be as good and reliable as the S7E (a phone I had about a month ago) and probably a step below the Pixel. So that's where I was coming from. It's holding up incredibly well so far.

I'll post what I can shortly.

As for OnePlus as an OEM, yeah, I'm really liking what they've done here with the 3T. This is a company that has really matured well over the course of three years. It's almost hard to believe hardware can be this powerful and well designed, and software can be this close to stock (speed, stability) while still offering sensible extra features... all for such an affordable price. True definition of value.

In fact, I really hope OnePlus releases a second generation OnePlus X in the future.

EDIT: I did save one low light photo. This was really dark, and I think the 3T did wonderfully (HDR on).

oryz399.jpg

Last edited:

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004

Great review.

+1

Would love to see how it handles skies and highlights and moving subjects.

The OP3 almost ruined my son's sports day memories with how much it blasted the whites. Video noise and compression was horrible too. At the time I also had the S6 and it was soooo much better.

If they fixed those in software, it's a big step forward and they can go to work on the screen next time round.

Osaka23

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
Colours and tones looks good. No over sharpening nor that horrible yellow tinge I had on mine.

OS was Marshmallow out of the box and at the time, nougat was only in beta for the oneplus 3. Regardless of my experience I think you have chosen a great phone. I think I will wait to see what samsung comes up with. I'd seriously consider the next oneplus phone when they release it.

Uwuq9Po.jpg

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
One failing: the auto focus is certainly slower than the Pixel. Both the Pixel and the s7e auto focus was near instantaneous.

3T, not even close.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I peeled off the pre-installed screen protector.

Owning the S7E completely naked (mainly cause I couldn't find a good enough screen protector) the last year really opened my eyes to using phones naked.

I can't go back!

Reactions: Osaka23

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Battery life is such a champ. Looking like it'll hit 4-5 hours of SOT on average. Works for me.

Also, can't tell if it's my imagination or not but it seems to hold better signal strength, too, compared to my old s7e and the pixel.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I love Nova launcher. This isn't my final set up, but already it's looking and feeling like the Pixel:

4IVY9Cnl.png

And I have to say again, it's nuts that this is the footprint of the 3T:

MfkqLGWl.jpg

That's the regular Pixel on top of it. And I didn't even align it well so the difference is actually even smaller. Again, shame on Google (and Apple) for outdated bezel designs.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
I love Nova launcher. This isn't my final set up, but already it's looking and feeling like the Pixel:

4IVY9Cnl.png

And I have to say again, it's nuts that this is the footprint of the 3T:

MfkqLGWl.jpg

That's the regular Pixel on top of it. And I didn't even align it well so the difference is actually even smaller. Again, shame on Google (and Apple) for outdated bezel designs.

just curious are u moving to oneplus 3T now?
sometimes im considering to sell my pixel xl for 3T...(save money) lol
im just worried on the camera performance....
I've moved to pixel due to 2 impt things... camera and software fluidity...

Reactions: kkh786

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
just curious are u moving to oneplus 3T now?
sometimes im considering to sell my pixel xl for 3T...(save money) lol
im just worried on the camera performance....
I've moved to pixel due to 2 impt things... camera and software fluidity...

I think the camera is stronger on the Pixel, but not by much. The 3T's HQ and HDR modes really bring the 3T up to par. Where the Pixel really shines is in the speed of capture and autofocus. The 3T has a clear disadvantage in those two relms.

The best camera, of course, is the s7e. You couldn't take a bad photo with that camera if you tried. ;)

As for my decision, yes I'm keeping the 3T. However, I have plans to upgrade this year too as I'm excited about this year's flagships.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
I think the camera is stronger on the Pixel, but not by much. The 3T's HQ and HDR modes really bring the 3T up to par. Where the Pixel really shines is in the speed of capture and autofocus. The 3T has a clear disadvantage in those two relms.

The best camera, of course, is the s7e. You couldn't take a bad photo with that camera if you tried. ;)

As for my decision, yes I'm keeping the 3T. However, I have plans to upgrade this year too as I'm excited about this year's flagships.
Are u going to let go of your pixel?

I have s7 too .. lol

Im curious of 3T...
I want to try it... but im scared that i might let go of my pixel xl if performance is almost same...

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Are u going to let go of your pixel?

I have s7 too .. lol

Im curious of 3T...
I want to try it... but im scared that i might let go of my pixel xl if performance is almost same...

Yes, I've returned my Pixel. Got back near $400 dollars. It doesn't make or break the bank, but it sure does feel good. Especially when the experience is comparable.
[doublepost=1484281422][/doublepost]I basically have a comparable Pixel XL but better designed, smaller footprint, and at nearly half the price:

6uXwPJol.png

This is a 3T screen shot.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Another knock?

The finger print reader definitely fails every now and then. You have to be rather accurate with how you place your thumb on it. Whereas with the Pixel, it got you in 100% of the time. The 3T isn't as accurate or just requires more accurate thumb placement to succeed as often.

I love that I don't have to physically depress a button though (say when compared to the s7e).

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Another knock?

The finger print reader definitely fails every now and then. You have to be rather accurate with how you place your thumb on it. Whereas with the Pixel, it got you in 100% of the time. The 3T isn't as accurate or just requires more accurate thumb placement to succeed as often.

I love that I don't have to physically depress a button though (say when compared to the s7e).

For every one of the small knocks remember that $400 you have back in your pocket ;) lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.