Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Go thru FP setup again. I can't remember that the option FP failed me once. Maybe it has, but truly can't remember if it has :)

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
For every one of the small knocks remember that $400 you have back in your pocket ;) lol

Definitely.

I think a big part with regards to the fingerprint reader is re-learning how to deal with a front facing fingerprint sensor. It just has to be placed accurately and it's good.
[doublepost=1484321224][/doublepost]
Go thru FP setup again. I can't remember that the option FP failed me once. Maybe it has, but truly can't remember if it has :)

Yeah, it definitely got better after I re-scanned all my prints. Also, it's winter time here so my fingers, I've noticed, are a little bit calloused (dry skin). Could be that, too.

Reactions: MRU

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Well the 128gb was in stock today and I placed my order. Now I have to decide if it's worth saving $450 by returning the Pixel 128gb. I think it probably is because I know I'll be swapping phones later in the year anyway. The camera definitely seems like it will be good enough for me. And the customization with the OP3T is insane. Really looking forward to getting it - and I think my Pixel is going to have to go back to Google.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Well the 128gb was in stock today and I placed my order. Now I have to decide if it's worth saving $450 by returning the Pixel 128gb. I think it probably is because I know I'll be swapping phones later in the year anyway. The camera definitely seems like it will be good enough for me. And the customization with the OP3T is insane. Really looking forward to getting it - and I think my Pixel is going to have to go back to Google.

I went down the same exact path for the same exact reasons. You know my outcome. ;)

BTW, if you missed it, here's how my 3T looks.

zfz19Vdl.jpg

I effectively have a Pixel XL that is designed better, in a smaller footprint, and at nearly half the price. Yes, the camera experience isn't as well rounded and quick as the Pixel, but the difference isn't worth near $400 dollars. If it were, I'd have just gone back to the S7E then to get the actual best camera experience in a smartphone.

And as you mention, saving this money allows me the room to get 2017's flagships. The 3T will more than suffice for the next few months while I evaluate and make that decision.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I went down the same exact path for the same exact reasons. You know my outcome. ;)

BTW, if you missed it, here's how my 3T looks.

zfz19Vdl.jpg

I effectively have a Pixel XL that is designed better, in a smaller footprint, and at nearly half the price. Yes, the camera experience isn't as well rounded and quick as the Pixel, but the difference isn't worth near $400 dollars. If it were, I'd have just gone back to the S7E then to get the actual best camera experience in a smartphone.

And as you mention, saving this money allows me the room to get 2017's flagships. The 3T will more than suffice for the next few months while I evaluate and make that decision.

That looks awesome. What did you use to make it look essentially like a Pixel?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
That looks awesome. What did you use to make it look essentially like a Pixel?

Nova Launcher. Catch it when it's on sale. Sometimes it goes as low as .99 cents. However, even at full price (4.99) it's worth it. It's easily one of the best and most well supported launchers.

Reactions: Wildo6882

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Nova Launcher. Catch it when it's on sale. Sometimes it goes as low as .99 cents. However, even at full price (4.99) it's worth it. It's easily one of the best and most well supported launchers.

Oh I've already got it. :)

I've been on iOS since last December and I'm just burnt out of the same thing. Different year. Can't wait to get back to Android.

What icon pack did you use?

Mr. Guybob

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2016
Well the 128gb was in stock today and I placed my order.

Awesome, that's what I was waiting on if I was gonna switch, now I just need to decide if I should. Currently on the HTC 10, which I really like for the most part, only real complaint is the the pictures it takes are a little washed out for my taste.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Awesome, that's what I was waiting on if I was gonna switch, now I just need to decide if I should. Currently on the HTC 10, which I really like for the most part, only real complaint is the the pictures it takes are a little washed out for my taste.

That's exactly what I was waiting on. It showed up right in time so I still have time to return my Pixel. I'm pretty excited to get back to Android. And I can add the Samsung Chromebook Pro to this and be at basically the same amount of money out of pocket as I was with just my Pixel.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
i manage to try oneplus 3T .. not mine but my bro's phone...
my own personal review of both..

SCREEN:
Side by side with my pixel xl... u can easily notice the screen difference.. color is richer on the pixel xl.. (QHD) ... speed almost the same..
aesthetically .. 3T is slimmer and better in the hand compare to pixel xl...

CAMERA:
3T camera is noticeably slower to focus and less details compare to pixel XL...
pixel have warmer tone... 3T is cooler... i prefer cooler tone.. but quality is better on pixel xl....

SOFTWARE:
nougat update is a bit cumbersome i need to manually download and update manually...
(its new to me)
pixel xl.. when update is roll out.. everybody gets it on the normal software update in the settings..
im not sure on the software part coz the 3T i tested is a china set(A3010) it was flashed to global rom by the seller..
china set 3T doestnt have 4G+ .. only 4G .... my bro is ok with this since he will use it in manila...
if im going to get for myself .. i need the global set /uk set because my telco supports 4G+...
i like the gestures built in on the OxygenOS .. and the battery % is bigger than my pixel haha...

iCONS on the 3T is BIG.. the screen looks smaller because of the big icons.. i think using nova can customize this..

HOME BUTTON/FP sensor

i didnt know that its not a real button.. its only like a haptic feedback.. and the haptic feedback is not that strong..

PRICE:
Oneplus 3T china set(A3010) SGD560 / 3T global set SGD780 (64gb)
Pixel XL : SGD 1600 UK ROW set. (128gb)

OVERALL:
i still love my pixel xl..
yes it cost more... but im happy with it... will wait for pixel 2...

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Got my OP3T and still can't decide if I want to use this or my Pixel! They're both great phones.

Is it worth $450 to have better support (Google vs OnePlus), better camera, and quicker updates?

Last edited:
Reactions: AppleRobert and MRU

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Haha! The camera is really killing me. My over a year old 6s Plus takes MUCH better pics. With a 4 year old and 2 month old twins, camera is HIGH on my list.

With the extra money you are saving, buy a standalone camera or just use the 6s plus.:)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Haha! The camera is really killing me. My over a year old 6s Plus takes MUCH better pics. With a 4 year old and 2 month old twins, camera is HIGH on my list.

Plus the fact you have the Pixel already and still decided to give the OP 3T a shot in my opinion means you rather save the money.

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
Don't agree. Well maybe when it comes to moving objects like kids that you were mentioning. But this camera takes really good pictures in my opinion, I have an iPhone 7 to compare with.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Yeah, that's the problem though. Even barely moving objects are blurry. 4 year olds and babies don't stop moving.

So which is going to be the keeper I am curious. I rather extra money in my wallet but I'm the last to talk with what smartphones I have and ones that are in my desk drawer. But I don't have any kids either so ....

You should see my headphone/earbud drawer too. :)

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
So which is going to be the keeper I am curious. I rather extra money in my wallet but I'm the last to talk with what smartphones I have and ones that are in my desk drawer. But I don't have any kids either so ....

You should see my headphone/earbud drawer too. :)

The Pixel is going back. We're trying to buy a house so I'm not wanting to throw down $900 on just a phone.

But now I have another issue - it's either the OP3T or an Honor 8!

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The Pixel is going back. We're trying to buy a house so I'm not wanting to throw down $900 on just a phone.

I'd put the Mate 9 over the Honor 8. It is worth the extra money. Wait for a sale if need be. Go try it at BB. Love at first try for me.

What the heck try the 8 or 9, either would be returnable.

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013

If you think oneplus 3T's camera sucks i highly recommend you not to buy honor 8.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I got fantastic photos from the Honor 8, as my 3 way shoot-out posts between it and the S7 & iPhone 7 testify to.

I remember that, I will have to see how the Mate 9 does if I can find something decent looking to snap outside. I hate the gloomy winter weather, the sun hardly ever comes out either.

Reactions: MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.