Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
How's it for Office spinedoc?

I never had an issue running office with last years atom, Clovertrail. I'd expect it to be that much nicer on this unit, but I haven't tried it out yet. Honestly I will probably return it soon in anticipation of a 10.1" Baytrail tablet.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I am very interested in this tablet, and am pretty much just waiting on some professional reviews and for it to become available at a Microsoft Store in my area.

There are some other really promising 8" tablets in this price range running full Windows, such as the Lenovo Mixx 2. I'm worried that these tablets won't catch on because the average consumer is getting iPad, Galaxy Tabs, and Nexus devices crammed down their throats, and has no idea that there are now inexpensive tablets running full Windows! I've been waiting for tablets to become more than just bigger smart phones for years, so I really hope that these devices are successful so that companies will stick with them and keep making them even better.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Was just looking at this earlier today.

I don't get the stylus. Unlike the surface pro which uses Wacom technology this just seems to be a capacitive stylus with some kind of active feedback for the pressure?

B

gigadigit

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2009
I heard that displaylink based USB to HDMI/DVI/DisplayPort adapters work fine with the Dell Venue 8 Pro.

No video out I'm pretty sure. No mini HDMI, and I don't think it supports micro usb to hdmi/mobile high definition link, but I'm not 100% sure.

It does have Miracast capability for wireless video.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
YouTube: video
Very impressive

What's impressive? He basically is app switching the entire time, not terribly intensive, and every other touch doesn't register.

And what is the fascination with Windows on an 8" tablet? To get the most out of it, you'd be using desktop mode and without a keyboard with touchpad or mouse, that would be a terrible experience on such a small device. If you need to cart around peripherals to make it worthwhile, why not just get a larger form factor with a better keyboard cover or keyboard dock (i.e. Asus Transformer T100)?

Not trolling, serious question. Why would you get this over something like the T100? I understand it's more portable but my understanding is the quantity/quality of Metro based apps is in short supply compared to either Android or iOS.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
What's impressive? He basically is app switching the entire time, not terribly intensive, and every other touch doesn't register.

And what is the fascination with Windows on an 8" tablet? To get the most out of it, you'd be using desktop mode and without a keyboard with touchpad or mouse, that would be a terrible experience on such a small device. If you need to cart around peripherals to make it worthwhile, why not just get a larger form factor with a better keyboard cover or keyboard dock (i.e. Asus Transformer T100)?

Not trolling, serious question. Why would you get this over something like the T100? I understand it's more portable but my understanding is the quantity/quality of Metro based apps is in short supply compared to either Android or iOS.

That's kind of why I returned mine, windows desktop on a 8" is cool in concept, but not great in practice. Although its not bad at all. Metro mode is where it shines, and there are quite a lot of apps these days. Certainly the basics are covered, internet browser, news, etc.

The other thing is you can hook it up to an external monitor/keyboard/mouse and use it like a desktop. This might be nice for some, having it in the smallest form factor to carry around but then having the option to expand it.

For myself I do plan on something larger, it was cool but too small for me. I think the nexus 7 and iPad mini are too small IMO as well though.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
That's kind of why I returned mine, windows desktop on a 8" is cool in concept, but not great in practice. Although its not bad at all. Metro mode is where it shines, and there are quite a lot of apps these days. Certainly the basics are covered, internet browser, news, etc.

The other thing is you can hook it up to an external monitor/keyboard/mouse and use it like a desktop. This might be nice for some, having it in the smallest form factor to carry around but then having the option to expand it.

For myself I do plan on something larger, it was cool but too small for me. I think the nexus 7 and iPad mini are too small IMO as well though.

Thanks for the reply. I'd figure a device this size would shine in the Metro environment, just kept hearing the Windows Marketplace had a ways to go as far as quality and quantity of apps were concerned. Docking it to use as a desktop would definitely have it's value, assuming the CPU can keep up and there is sufficient RAM. Makes more sense as a so called 'dual threat'. ;)

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I never had an issue running office with last years atom, Clovertrail. I'd expect it to be that much nicer on this unit, but I haven't tried it out yet. Honestly I will probably return it soon in anticipation of a 10.1" Baytrail tablet.

You are like the ultimate Windows 8 tablet junkie! How many have you been through? :D

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
You are like the ultimate Windows 8 tablet junkie! How many have you been through? :D

Oh it gets worse, sigh. Microcenter had an open box Dell 8 for $207, I just couldn't pass it up. Even if it just ends up on the magazine rack in the bathroom it's cheap enough to justify. I think this will hold me over until the Thinkpad Tablet 3 comes out, which is what I really want.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Well speaking about sitting on the magazine rack in the bathroom if it will not be used much, the Surface will be $179 for Black Friday. I still haven't bought a Win 8 tablet and I know it would only be RT but that is where my radar is set on right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.