Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
No, if you look at what I quoted (from neonart's post), he said "viewfinder" and I said "viewfinder". I've shot with SLRs for 20 years, and I know what a viewfinder is. :p

Electronic viewfinders on cameras are not new. This may have some nifty new tech; but the idea has been around for years. Back (a year or two) before I owned a D70, I thought about buying an Olympus E-10 (or was it E-20?) - one of the selling points for the Olympus camera was that, unlike many of its contemporary competitors, it had a true SLR-style viewfinder. The competitors mostly relied on either electronic viewfinders or else P&S style "live view".

Actually even on the E-10 the viewfinder was optical and not electronic as this image shown

e10cutaway.gif

from DPReview

I think up until the G1, all DSLR viewfinder are optical.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
No, if you look at what I quoted (from neonart's post), he said "viewfinder" and I said "viewfinder". I've shot with SLRs for 20 years, and I know what a viewfinder is. :p

Electronic viewfinders on cameras are not new. This may have some nifty new tech; but the idea has been around for years. Back (a year or two) before I owned a D70, I thought about buying an Olympus E-10 (or was it E-20?) - one of the selling points for the Olympus camera was that, unlike many of its contemporary competitors, it had a true SLR-style viewfinder. The competitors mostly relied on either electronic viewfinders or else P&S style "live view".

This is correct. My old Panasonic FZ-10 had one of those. I never used it. It was useless. Which is my I hope this new fancy thing works as well as they say it does.

BTW, that D700 rocks!

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Actually even on the E-10 the viewfinder was optical and not electronic as this image shown.

You misread my post. :) Here it is again...

I thought about buying an Olympus E-10 (or was it E-20?) - one of the selling points for the Olympus camera was that, unlike many of its contemporary competitors, it had a true SLR-style viewfinder. The competitors mostly relied on either electronic viewfinders or else P&S style "live view".

I KNOW the E-10 had an optical viewfinder. The optical viewfinder was why I liked the E-10 as compared to the other options I was looking at.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
This is correct. My old Panasonic FZ-10 had one of those. I never used it. It was useless. Which is my I hope this new fancy thing works as well as they say it does.

Well we've got, what, 7-8 years of electronic progress since then? I'd think this should be head and shoulders above that old electronic viewfinder you remember. Given the quality of "live view" on any current-generation cameras, I'd suspect the viewfinder technology should be quite satisfactory.

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
You misread my post. :) Here it is again...

I KNOW the E-10 had an optical viewfinder. The optical viewfinder was why I liked the E-10 as compared to the other options I was looking at.

Well it doesn't matter, but the point is the G1 use an electronic viewfinder that no "DSLR" used before, even though by definition we can not call the G1 an DSLR. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.