Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
… since I regretfully am not an expert: How can this be done?
You use the standard VS2019 facilities on the Developer Channel Preview. It can compile and run Intel. I tried an x86 application we build the is fairly complex. You compile and run for debugging.

Reactions: m-a

m-a

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
You use the standard VS2019 facilities on the Developer Channel Preview. It can compile and run Intel. I tried an x86 application we build the is fairly complex. You compile and run for debugging.

… what do you mean precisely? What must be adapted or changed in the developer preview version of VS 2019? I could use some help

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Normally when you install you are in the Beta Channel. You need to change to the Developer Channel and update to get higher x86 & x86_64 emulation. The beta channel lags in those features.
Google the changing of channels. There are detailed instructions.

Reactions: m-a

m-a

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Normally when you install you are in the Beta Channel. You need to change to the Developer Channel and update to get higher x86 & x86_64 emulation. The beta channel lags in those features.
Google the changing of channels. There are detailed instructions.

… thank you for the information. - It seems not to have worked for me. Guess, I will have to buy a separate Windows machine to be able to use VS 2019 in a normal way. ;-)

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
Windows on ARM doesn't cost a penny. You just join the Microsoft Insider programme and download it.

Edit: Parallels is different and someone else can answer that more accurately. However, I think if you've upgraded to the latest version of Parallels (at cost) on your Intel Mac, you should also be able to install and run on an M1 Mac. I've read elsewhere that the restriction on a single Parallels license is, erm, you can't run it in parallel on two machines.
Ok, this sounds like a winner. Once I download Windows ARM I can install it via Boot Camp? Although my Parallels subscription is for the latest version, it is licensed to my Intel Mac. Can I remove the Intel Mac from the license and have the license assigned to the M1?

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Ok, this sounds like a winner. Once I download Windows ARM I can install it via Boot Camp? Although my Parallels subscription is for the latest version, it is licensed to my Intel Mac. Can I remove the Intel Mac from the license and have the license assigned to the M1?
There’s no Boot Camp. Only Parallels in the M1 space. You should be able to use your Parallels licence of either Mac but not both. See:

https://kb.parallels.com/112971

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
Internaut Thanks Again!! I now have Windows 10 ARM up and running in Parallels within my MacBook Air M1. As you said it didn't cost a penny. I joined Windows Insider Program and downloaded Windows 10 ARM for free. I then download and activated Parallels on the Air M1. It asked if I wanted to de-activate the current VM and activate a new VM. I said Yes and everything installed smoothly. It wouldn't allow me to copy the old VM over to the machine because the old one was Intel-based. So, I just used Screen Sharing between the two machines and dragged over everything I needed before deleted the old VM. It didn't take long at all.

leons

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2009
Parallels is more expensive than I thought! Any methods/ways to get it for less?

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
As stated above, I had my purchased Parallels and my purchased Windows 10 installed and running on my Intel-based Mac. When I downloaded the free Windows 10 ARM for my M1 machine and activated Parallels using the same key used for Parallels Intel machine, it asked if I wanted to de-activate the old machine and activate the new machine. I said Yes. Now here is where it got interesting. I went back to the Intel machine and the Parallels VM was working fine. I used it for a while to see if maybe I would get a message saying the key is activate on another machine and therefore Parallels would self destruct in a few minutes. That never happened. I think I could have continued indefinitely? I deleted anyway because it takes up a lot of space. I wonder how long I could have used it?

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
It's best not to pirate, but anyway, I don't think the old parallels would check again until there is an update. And maybe not even then, who knows.

leons

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2009
If you buy a "subscription" and change your mind after a year, do you no longer get updates or does it stop working altogether?

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
If you buy a "subscription" and change your mind after a year, do you no longer get updates or does it stop working altogether?
If you buy the subscription then it will stop working altogether, this is what "subscription" mean.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Question - does the M1 version pf Parallels support bridged networking in the same way as the Intel version? Or is it shared networking only? (I ask because it is presumably using Apple's hypervisor and I've encountered this limitation with things like multipass that use it).

(It's going to be a few months before I go M1 but I'm pondering whether or not to keep updating Parallels)

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Question - does the M1 version pf Parallels support bridged networking in the same way as the Intel version? Or is it shared networking only? (I ask because it is presumably using Apple's hypervisor and I've encountered this limitation with things like multipass that use it).

(It's going to be a few months before I go M1 but I'm pondering whether or not to keep updating Parallels)
It supports bridged networking.

Reactions: theluggage

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
But flaky. Ubuntu seems to DHCP fine, but I struggle with Windows. Fortunately, the BT Smart Hub reserves a range of addresses for fixed allocation.
Yeah, it's not perfect, using just switching it from bridged to NAT and back fixes things.

Reactions: Internaut

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Just would really like an x86 emulator with GPU acceleration like Virtual PC did so that if I ever want to run or play some old software then I can.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Running PowerBI on M1 Air. Seems fine and if MS sells a license or allows my x64 key to activate ARM my needs ill be satisfied. However, given their cloud based Windows product I am not holding my breath since a VM plus Windows license is likely less than the cloud subscription and a one time payment.

Reactions: gank41

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Running PowerBI on M1 Air. Seems fine and if MS sells a license or allows my x64 key to activate ARM my needs ill be satisfied. However, given their cloud based Windows product I am not holding my breath since a VM plus Windows license is likely less than the cloud subscription and a one time payment.
I'll be satisfied too if they ever sell me a license! The problem with cloud is latency...

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I'll be satisfied too if they ever sell me a license! The problem with cloud is latency...
Not to mention the need for an internet connection; which can be a challenge at times. Pre Covid I traveled a lot, try getting a good reliable connection on an over ocean flight or in some countries.

Reactions: bobcomer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.