Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Likewise, would love a proper Windows Licence for an ARM build...

Rather impressed with Parallels today. Needed to run up a soft phone that only runs on Windows, and VPN into the office. Both worked fine after a monumental effort to get the Windows Store to work at all and then install AnyConnect for ARM Windows. Main plusses are:

• Used Coherence for the first time.
  • My Softphone (PhonerLite - Intel Binary on Windows for ARM) runs perfectly
  • Double clicked on a Word document, on the corporate network, forgetting my Windows VM has no Word; no problem since Parallels offered to open it in Word on the Mac!
  • Able to save back to the corporate network directly from Word on the Mac (via the Windows VM's VPN connection).
  • I think I've found situation where multiple tabs , in Edge, can be more memory efficient from within a Windows VM than through the Edge Mac (M1) binary which is a bit bizarre (suspect it's because I'm running Teams in a tab and Electron is native on ARM Windows).
Only thing that doesn't work for me is WSL - I suspect that's because it generally doesn't run from within a Windows VM, but hope to stand corrected.

Reactions: gank41 and bobcomer

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Not to mention the need for an internet connection; which can be a challenge at times. Pre Covid I traveled a lot, try getting a good reliable connection on an over ocean flight or in some countries.
Good point!

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Likewise, would love a proper Windows Licence for an ARM build...

Only thing that doesn't work for me is WSL - I suspect that's because it generally doesn't run from within a Windows VM, but hope to stand corrected.
I think WSL doesn’t work because either the M1 or Apple’s virtualization framework doesn’t support virtualization inside virtualization.

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
Not sure I am liking Parallels any longer. I've tried to contact them multiple ways about my subscription issues, and ive gotten no response from them and its been weeks. May have to find another product if I can't get my subscription fixed. Their customer service is non-existent.

Reactions: m-a and satcomer

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Not sure I am liking Parallels any longer. I've tried to contact them multiple ways about my subscription issues, and ive gotten no response from them and its been weeks. May have to find another product if I can't get my subscription fixed. Their customer service is non-existent.
Odd. Have you used their ticket system? I usually get a response in <24 hours. They are in Europe and I am in CA.

Reactions: gank41
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.