Password Managers - what are you using?

What Password manager do you use?

• None - I don't use any (please explain why below)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 1Password

Votes: 103 37.9%
  • Apple Keychain

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Bitwarden

Votes: 29 10.7%
  • Dashlane

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • EnPass

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • LastPass

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • KeePass

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Roboform

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Strongbox

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Other (Please explain below)

Votes: 14 5.1%

• Total voters

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
I'm curious as to know what are people using for a password manager.

What features does it have that it does better or is important to you?
What do you dislike, or wish it did better?

For me, I'm using 1Password, the pros of 1PW is that its cross platform, a polished application, it has some good reporting on passwords, i.e., compromised, reused, etc.

The feature that I feel it does better then others: The secret key. To access your vault, you need to use your master password, and a generated secret key that was created when you created your 1password account. No one knows this, not even AgileBits (the maker of 1PW). This means if your master password is compromised, they still need to have your secret key.

What I dislike the most, is the fact its a subscription only license.

mailbuoy

macrumors regular
I use 1Password for Mac version 8, Family Plan.

I selected 1Password, in large part, because I can manage our shared passwords and my wife only needs to use them! It is very easy to use. I am comfortable knowing that I alone know the complex, long password that decrypts my vault. It syncs nicely with our iPhones and iPads.

I wish 1Password would export/backup to an encrypted file.

Before I next renew my subscription I plan to investigate/reconsider Apple's Passwords (keychain access), which now has a family share capability. I have a Strongbox Lifetime Pro license and I also want to give that a try. Right now using 1Password is routine and easy; change, should I head that way could be hard! 😅

(I currently use Strongbox as my 1Password backup. Strongbox imports a 1pux file (1PW's export file) easily.)

Last edited:

Marco Klobas

macrumors 6502
1Password user here.

I'll keep it until Proton Pass will offer the same features. Deal breaker for me are the categories covered in order to make a complete migration: software licenses, identities, servers, passports/IDs, bank accounts, databases, etc.

Another manager I appreciate is Minimalist.

JavaMania5

macrumors newbie
1 Password......Not something I think about often but use every day. LOL.... Several years of trusting it and now with subscription I can share Vaults with Wife yet have separate Vaults. Probably like most other users we got used to it and comfortable with it and never really compared it to other options. Seems silly to put so much trust is something and not investigating any other app but I bet we are not alone.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
I use Strongbox (lifetime) as my main manager. It has a very nice GUI and the prompts me to backup the database every 2 to 4 weeks. I also like that I can store the vault locally or on iCloud. I believe it does everything 1Password for individuals can do. I also use Minimalist and Enpass (both lifetime) as backup sources, as well as Bitwarden. I admit it is overkill for backup but, I rather be prepared than in password trouble.

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
1Password, in combination with Apple's keychain.

Generally, I don't like subscription apps - but 1Password is more than worth it to me.
The security is important. If I come across an app that has a better security doubtlessly with a good look and organization, I will rethink it.
But time is also important, so I stay with 1Password.

I am sure there will come up comments that says that this and that are just as good or better. It always does when it comes to comparing with 1P. But for security and time, I am where I am. and have no plans to change it for now.

Good thread though 🙂

msackey

macrumors 68030
I use 1Password but not the subscription version. I'm stuck on version 7.

I don't like the subscription model. I have paid for every version upgrade since version 3.0 until version 8. Not going the subscription route. When I need to move away from version 7, I'll try to find a 1Password replacement.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
I've been using Roboform for couple years now. It has worked well for me and has many of the same features the 1password does. Works well crossplatform. Simple UI and easy to organize. It just works for the most part. So I haven't found any compelling reason to switch.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Bitwarden with a subscription. I was using 1Password 7 and started shopping around when they stopped letting us buy a license for our upgrade to the next major release.

Zero regrets about switching after 2+ years. I do think the BW client UI is ugly and not as good as 1Password's usability-wise, but I'm using my password manager 95% of the time for just autofill so I don't care.

Alvinc

macrumors member
Using iCloud Keychain but considered moving back to 1Password because I am sometimes asked to unlock with Passcode even with Stolen Device Protection on.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
I've been happy to stick with just iCloud Keychain, though it's fragmented a bit since I switched back to Firefox as my primary browser on desktop (the iPad version of Firefox isn't as good as Safari so I haven't made the switch there). But recently Apple's allowed for using third party browser password managers on iOS so I can still synchronize my Firefox passwords with iOS.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
I'm on Minimalist, and wish they had stuck with a perpetual license since it's harder to recommend now.

Edit: Coincidentally, Minimalist brought the perpetual license back yesterday!

I used to use Keychain, then 1Password for years, and was dissatisfied with both. Keychain has seen quite a few improvements though. I think Apple should separate Keychain from Settings, and make it a standalone app. I'd even be alright with it being tied to iCloud+. I'm kind of sick of iCloud functions being tucked away in Settings behind multiple steps (looking at you HME) but a standalone app for passwords makes the most sense to me. Cue the antitrust...

Last edited:

schneeland

macrumors regular
KeePass in various forms - KeePassium on Apple devices, original KeePass on Windows, and KeePassX on Linux. I'm contemplating moving to Bitwarden, though. Also, for things like communities and social media, I use Keychain (it's admittedly quite convenient).

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
1password since it works on both apple and windows, is secure, and just works. Apple Keychain isn't bad but its more work to pull up a username and password if it doesn't auto-populate and there's often dups you have to contend with.

boss.king

macrumors 603
I used to use LastPass, then Bitwarden, but now I don't need the cross-platform support so I switched over to Apple Keychain. I'd love for Apple to put a bit more effort into it though, it leaves a lot to be desired.

chrispyk

macrumors newbie
I used to use 1Password until I ran into issues that I forget now. Moved to Dashlane and am mostly happy with it. DL syncs across my two laptops, iphone and ipad just fine, though I occasionally run into issues that seem to be more browser or user-related

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
Keychain. I'm totally in the Apple system, so no need for cross-platform functionality. If you do use a PC, you can use Keychain on it too via the iCloud app. Can't understand why people pay for and love 1Password so much.

zinacef

macrumors 6502
I'm curious as to know what are people using for a password manager - iCloud Keychain.

What features does it have that it does better or is important to you?
Integration with all my Apple devices and the ecosystem.

What do you dislike, or wish it did better?
No dislikes so far, it works for me.
Can’t think of any needed improvements.

bevel

macrumors newbie
Strongbox. Switched when 1Password switched to subscription only model

You can export from 1Password. All the categories are transferred. Synchronises to devices over iCloud or Dropbox and you have the option of SFTP if you wanna host your database on NAS or some other personal server

2 factor auth works using TOTP/1 time password like 1 Password does

I really hate subscription models and it is a pretty similar experience to 1Password so it was a super easy decision to switch :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.