Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Password manager do you use?

• None - I don't use any (please explain why below)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 1Password

Votes: 103 37.9%
  • Apple Keychain

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Bitwarden

Votes: 29 10.7%
  • Dashlane

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • EnPass

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • LastPass

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • KeePass

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Roboform

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Strongbox

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Other (Please explain below)

Votes: 14 5.1%

• Total voters

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Wondering why only few people use Enpass. It’s good, simple and one-time payment (few years ago, not sure today). I moved from SplashID (I was using PalmOS), tried 1password for a while, and finally chose Enpass for its prices scheme, reliability and simplicity.

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
Wondering why only few people use Enpass. It’s good, simple and one-time payment (few years ago, not sure today). I moved from SplashID (I was using PalmOS), tried 1password for a while, and finally chose Enpass for its prices scheme, reliability and simplicity.
They still have a $99.99 lifetime plan. Enpass was okay when I used it. It wasn't bad. I just like Bitwarden now. Bitwarden is also only 10 bucks a year for their regular single user pricing (and I can have one additional user).

Last edited:

berb

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2023
For me it loses sync with iCloud constantly.

berb

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2023
I use Minimalist. Living in the Apple walled garden and a Safari user I have perpetual licenses for:

Codebook
When Elcomsoft released their paper on password managers I bought STRIP, now Codebook. and used it for years. Kudos to Zetetic that my 12 year old license works on their latest version. If it had iCloud sync on Mac I'd reconsider it.

1Password
In 2016 the UI drew me into what was (once) the default password manager for Apple users. I upgraded each version and used 1Password 7 up until last week. Concerned about long term security updates I've been looking for a replacement since version 8.

Enpass
I used Enpass for a year between 1PW6 and 1PW7 because it was cheaper. It continually lost connection to iCloud sync, and still does. Support and bug fixes were too slow.

Apple Passwords (Keychain)
Worked seamlessly for me. I installed an Apple Shortcut to create a desktop icon and a keyboard shortcut. Concerned that my password manager and Mac login use the same credentials I stopped using it. For example, when my Apple tech works on my computers he asks for the login.

Secrets
Worried about no security updates for 1PW7 I bought Secrets. Needing the app always open in the dock perturbs me. :)

Strongbox
This was my go to for when I lost confidence in 1PW. The UI isn't as pretty but is solid, regularly updated and the dock icon doesn't always need to open, at least when using Safari.

Minimalist
When Minimalist recently offered perpetual licenses again, I bought in. The minimalist design is what attracted me two years ago, and with autofill on Safari I was sold. Migrated from 1PW perfectly. I had to set up a custom keyboard shortcut.

There are others that I invested time but not cash in, including Msecure, Bitwarden, SafeInCloud, LastPass, and NordPass, etc, they didn't appeal to me due to licensing, cloud storage, or UI. Now if only 1Password still offered iCloud sync and a perpetual licence, I'd still be using it. :)

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
I use Minimalist. Living in the Apple walled garden and a Safari user I have perpetual licenses for:

Codebook
When Elcomsoft released their paper on password managers I bought STRIP, now Codebook. and used it for years. Kudos to Zetetic that my 12 year old license works on their latest version. If it had iCloud sync on Mac I'd reconsider it.

1Password
In 2016 the UI drew me into what was (once) the default password manager for Apple users. I upgraded each version and used 1Password 7 up until last week. Concerned about long term security updates I've been looking for a replacement since version 8.

Enpass
I used Enpass for a year between 1PW6 and 1PW7 because it was cheaper. It continually lost connection to iCloud sync, and still does. Support and bug fixes were too slow.

Apple Passwords (Keychain)
Worked seamlessly for me. I installed an Apple Shortcut to create a desktop icon and a keyboard shortcut. Concerned that my password manager and Mac login use the same credentials I stopped using it. For example, when my Apple tech works on my computers he asks for the login.

Secrets
Worried about no security updates for 1PW7 I bought Secrets. Needing the app always open in the dock perturbs me. :)

Strongbox
This was my go to for when I lost confidence in 1PW. The UI isn't as pretty but is solid, regularly updated and the dock icon doesn't always need to open, at least when using Safari.

Minimalist
When Minimalist recently offered perpetual licenses again, I bought in. The minimalist design is what attracted me two years ago, and with autofill on Safari I was sold. Migrated from 1PW perfectly. I had to set up a custom keyboard shortcut.

There are others that I invested time but not cash in, including Msecure, Bitwarden, SafeInCloud, LastPass, and NordPass, etc, they didn't appeal to me due to licensing, cloud storage, or UI. Now if only 1Password still offered iCloud sync and a perpetual licence, I'd still be using it. :)
The only problem with Minimalist is it only works in the Apple ecosystem. It also only works with Safari. There's no Firefox or Chromium-based browser extensions.

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
What if you don't upload your keychain to the cloud? You would likely have a system drive with FileVault, with an encrypted keychain, completely local to your device. Would you only reluctantly trust that?

1Password does provide a simple hotkey so that I can enter a password in any field of any application easily. So, I guess it wouldn't be too hard to use it for unlocking drives. But, the passwords for my encrypted drives are only relevant if someone physically has my drives. It seems really over the top to resist using my keychain and and manually enter 9 passwords to my 9 drives. You say it takes under 5 seconds for one drive. I'd be cursing as I hit the 45 second mark without any good reason for suffering through it.
I hadn’t considered the possibility of not uploading my keychain to the cloud, so I appreciate your mentioning this option.

Maybe if I expound upon just one of the problems I discussed in the post I referenced earlier (i.e., Post#2041 in the “1Password migrants” thread), you will understand my reluctance to trust Keychain: I have deleted a dozen plus entries in my keychain at least six times, only to have them resurrect themselves randomly at approximately three to eight-week intervals. It is hard for me to trust a password manager written by people who can’t seem to grasp the concept of “delete”. Additionally, that you have to access some of Apple’s password capability under System Preferences, and other capabilities under Keychain Access is, to me, unnecessary complicated. And although Keychain has gotten better in recent times, I have found Apple’s support for this software to be lame over the long term. All this makes me want to avoid Keychain when possible.

“So it would be somewhat tedious with nine drives, but not horribly painful.”

I don’t think this statement is incorrect, but I regret that I wrote it. At the time, I was trying to better understand what you meant by, “...but I do mount 9 drives and I'd find it very tedious to enter the complex passwords so many times.” (This was the information I was fishing for: “1Password does provide a simple hotkey so that I can enter a password in any field of any application easily.”) I thought, apparently incorrectly, my subsequent comment about using a macro would be enough to indicate that I don’t expect folks to enter a bunch of passwords every time they reboot their computer.

Last edited:

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I don’t think this statement is incorrect, but I regret that I wrote it. At the time, I was trying to better understand what you meant by, “...but I do mount 9 drives and I'd find it very tedious to enter the complex passwords so many times.” (This was the information I was fishing for: “1Password does provide a simple hotkey so that I can enter a password in any field of any application easily.”) I thought, apparently incorrectly, my subsequent comment about using a macro would be enough to indicate that I don’t expect folks to enter a bunch of passwords every time they reboot their computer.

I might give Keyboard Maestro a try if I can find other places I would use it to justify the cost. $36 seems a lot to spend to just unlock my disks. I really know nothing about the program. I do follow another forum where the program was recommended for something.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
That is the main reason I stopped using it. The sync was absolutely garbage, regardless of what backup method I chose.
Interesting, because I didn’t experience that. I have 2 Mac, iPad and iPhone. Everything sync with no issues.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
1password as it is cross platform and tracks other things than passwords like software licenses.

I'm on 8 after holding off with 7 for a bit.

I don't mind the subscription so much, so long as Agilebits keep updating it and maintaining it.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
Interesting, because I didn’t experience that. I have 2 Mac, iPad and iPhone. Everything sync with no issues.
It's a common problem shared by many if you look it up, which is unfortunate, because I really liked Enpass. After years of sync issues, I jumped ship to 1Password, and when 1Password started to suck with version 8 and their terrible iOS app, I have moved to Bitwarden and I've been happy with them ever since.

mthomas184

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2016
Cupertino
I'm on Minimalist, and wish they had stuck with a perpetual license since it's harder to recommend now.

Edit: Coincidentally, Minimalist brought the perpetual license back yesterday!

I used to use Keychain, then 1Password for years, and was dissatisfied with both. Keychain has seen quite a few improvements though. I think Apple should separate Keychain from Settings, and make it a standalone app. I'd even be alright with it being tied to iCloud+. I'm kind of sick of iCloud functions being tucked away in Settings behind multiple steps (looking at you HME) but a standalone app for passwords makes the most sense to me. Cue the antitrust...
I also hated that they have things like HME behind multiple steps. I ended up using Shortcuts to create a shortcut directly to keychain, one for HME, one for credit cards and one to create a new DDG email. Works flawlessly.

mthomas184

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2016
Cupertino
Keychain. I'm totally in the Apple system, so no need for cross-platform functionality. If you do use a PC, you can use Keychain on it too via the iCloud app. Can't understand why people pay for and love 1Password so much.
I used to use it via the iCloud app but it was clunky. Hated the implementation.

mthomas184

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2016
Cupertino
I really don't understand why it's not a standalone app. The fact that it's buried in settings makes me hesitant to recommend it to my less technically inclined relatives.
I created a shortcut on my parents homescreen in iOS and it opens right to keychain. On macOS, I have it in the menubar, same thing. Right to it. Makes it nice and easy

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I created a shortcut on my parents homescreen in iOS and it opens right to keychain. On macOS, I have it in the menubar, same thing. Right to it. Makes it nice and easy
That's a good idea. I'd honestly be surprised if they didn't make it a standalone app sooner rather than later.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I also hated that they have things like HME behind multiple steps. I ended up using Shortcuts to create a shortcut directly to keychain, one for HME, one for credit cards and one to create a new DDG email. Works flawlessly.
What is HME? Is DDG DuckDuckGo?

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
1Password integrates with Fastmail's masked email feature. That is their equivalent of Apples' hidden email feature.

I think Fastmail is fabulous and I've been a subscriber for quite a while.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
1Password integrates with Fastmail's masked email feature. That is their equivalent of Apples' hidden email feature.

I think Fastmail is fabulous and I've been a subscriber for quite a while.
But fastmail is far better. You cannot start a new email from an Hide My Email address. So, if you have an Hide My Email address assigned to a certain account and you need to email them, you can’t.

Last edited:

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
I'm getting used to iCloud Keychain, but I still have Password Safe around, which I've used for years, just in case. I refuse to pay a subscription for anything that isn't providing new/updated content regularly.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I don't mind the subscription so much, so long as Agilebits keep updating it and maintaining it.
One risk that I see in subscriptions is updates for the sake of updates, i.e., feature bloat to justify the sub. I don't see 1PW being bloated or having unnecessary features, but its something that I think about for any publisher that embraced the subscription model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.