Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Password manager do you use?

• None - I don't use any (please explain why below)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 1Password

Votes: 103 37.9%
  • Apple Keychain

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Bitwarden

Votes: 29 10.7%
  • Dashlane

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • EnPass

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • LastPass

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • KeePass

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Roboform

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Strongbox

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Other (Please explain below)

Votes: 14 5.1%

• Total voters

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Anytime that is default will have a lot of users. That being said, I’m surprised Keychain doesn’t have more users than 1Password.
People who read and post in a Mac Apps subforum of an Apple focused site are more likely to be the kind of people who are willing and interested in finding non-default solutions. If this survey were conducted on a broader range of Mac/iPhone users, I think you'd see Apple Keychain being the dominant solution chosen.

Reactions: gregmac19

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
Minimalist has listened and now reinstated the one-time purchase.
I saw that yesterday. The funny thing is I sent Jeffrey an email on Wednesday about a product roadmap and a public blog since overall sentiment about Minimalist appears to have waned. I can't say whether I like the new icon all that much, however.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
People who read and post in a Mac Apps subforum of an Apple focused site are more likely to be the kind of people who are willing and interested in finding non-default solutions. If this survey were conducted on a broader range of Mac/iPhone users, I think you'd see Apple Keychain being the dominant solution chosen.
True, but the app that people complain the most has the most votes?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
willing and interested in finding non-default solutions.
If the Apple users prefer using non-default solution, then I'd say that the apple keychain metric of the poll would be a lot lower. That is after all the default password manager for macOS and iOS.

If this survey were conducted on a broader range of Mac/iPhone users, I think you'd see Apple Keychain being the dominant solution chosen.
What do you mean broader range of mac/iphone users? I posted in the largest apple fan site on the internet, outside of going to reddit which is a dumpster fire, MR is pretty much the best site for this sort of thing

The app that has the loudest complainers,
Yup, I mean there are members in the migrant thread that have likened Agilebits move to a subscription based model to The HSBC Money Laundering Scandal.

Reactions: Mr. Heckles

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I've never used a "password manager" -- at least not a standalone app.

I DID create my own password storage file, using a small app named "iData" (which is now free).
Just checked, and right now there's about 143 entries in it.

On my desktop, it's just a "hidden file", buried deep. It still takes a moment to find and open it.

On my laptop, I created a small (10mb) password-protected disk image file (dmg) and put the password file into it. This remains unmounted until I need a password. Then, I enter the master password to mount the dmg, and can open and find the site password I need.

I had a friend who was in "password hell" because he'd just jot down a password (in Morse Code, no less), and then couldn't find it later, or he had changed it.

So I created for him a document in Pages which is just a big "table". He can click and enter sites/usernames/passwords into, and again protect the entire document with a password. It helped him quite a bit !

Reactions: tutubibi

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
If the Apple users prefer using non-default solution, then I'd say that the apple keychain metric of the poll would be a lot lower. That is after all the default password manager for macOS and iOS.

What do you mean broader range of mac/iphone users? I posted in the largest apple fan site on the internet, outside of going to reddit which is a dumpster fire, MR is pretty much the best site for this sort of thing

Yup, I mean there are members in the migrant thread that have likened Agilebits move to a subscription based model to The HSBC Money Laundering Scandal.
What I mean is that Mac Rumors forum posters are a self selecting population of people who are interested in Apple above and beyond the regular population, including the total population of Apple device purchasers. And then the amount of people who are posting in the Mac Apps sub forum specifically are yet another self selecting smaller population of the larger Mac Rumors population. That creates a sampling bias. I’m saying if we did a truly random poll of all Apple device users, we would see a much higher skew to Apple keychain because you’d have many more people in the sampling population that are happy to use the Apple default solution.

As to why Apple Keychain is still well represented in this poll, I never said that just because someone is posting here means that they will use an alternate solution, just that the population being sampled here has a higher likelihood of researching and using alternate solutions. It’s also possible that many of the respondents here did research other solutions and consciously chose Apple Keychain because they felt it fit their use case the best. It’s also free, with no features hidden behind a paywall, which makes it an attractive choice even for people who do research alternatives.

Reactions: gilby101

rforno

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2017
If I could use Keychain with Firefox, I would have switched from 1PW7 to it a long time ago.

I use Strongbox Pro because I can sync locally in my private cloud (or iCloud or Google) w/o paying a monthly rental fee. And, frankly, the # of ways Apple ties user IDs to devices and accounts -- and the general reliability of its cloud services -- gives me pause if something happens and I get locked out of everything. (This morning's iCloud incident is just the latest example .... there are times when I think iCloud is held together only by duct tape, bailing wire, the chanting incantations and lighting of incense.)

TBH, the only thing I wish StrongBox would do is sync with folders on Sync.Com.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
To me, the inclusion of Keychain distracts from the voting due to the selection biases already identified by @Supermallet and others. Ignoring those votes:

What I find interesting (surprising?) in the votes is that 1Password has 1.7 times the votes of all the other third party apps put together.

Given the self selection sampling biases and the recurring moans (in macrumors) about subscriptions, I would have expected that the technically interested/savvy would have disclosed greater use of non-subscription 3rd party products.

Just goes to show that subscriptions are not a barrier for quality products.

I am not surprised that Bitwarden leads the pack of followers - just that it is so far behind 1P.

(I am a 1Password subscriber.)

Edit:
Given the histrionics in the 1Password migrant thread, I thought maybe the usage would have dropped. I guess the hatred of 1Password (one member stating it's an evil company due to the subscription service) is limited to a couple of members.
I just discovered I repeated much of what you said. I am not really sorry - it bears repeating because the level of support for 1P is so surprising given the histrionics elsewhere. Clearly just a vocal minority.

I must admit I initially thought this thread would be a waste of effort - but wrongly!

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
To me, the inclusion of Keychain distracts from the voting due
What is your definition of a password manager and why does keychain fallout of it?

Here's what it does:
  • The passwords are stored in an encrypted container,
  • it requires authentication to access,
  • its multi-device, i.e., Mac, iPhone, iPad,
  • it generates passwords
  • We receive warnings on compromised passwords.
The old adage fits, if it looks likes a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, then its a duck.

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
Bitwarden. It's 100% free, but I pay the measly 10 dollars a year for the 2FA functionality, among other things. And to protect Bitwarden itself, I use 2FAS (also free).

1Password is horrible compared to Bitwarden, in my opinion, and I used (and paid for) 1Password for years. I'm not sure why it's so popular in this poll. If you go on the App Store for iOS, it's the absolute worst-rated password manager on the entire App Store. Their phone app is pure garbage.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
What I find interesting (surprising?) in the votes is that 1Password has 1.7 times the votes of all the other third party apps put together.

Given the self selection sampling biases and the recurring moans (in macrumors) about subscriptions, I would have expected that the technically interested/savvy would have disclosed greater use of non-subscription 3rd party products.
Exactly, The popular 1password migrant thread was the reason why I was curious and wanted to see what others were using.

I suspect that thread is filled with small core group of people who just talked about password managers not named 1Password :) There's a handful of folks, like myself use 1Password and are active in the thread offering our opinions

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
What is your definition of a password manager and why does keychain fallout of it?
No problem with it being a password manager. But I think that the other products is where the (my) interest lies. Just my view. I have come to appreciate this thread for what it has turned up.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
No problem with it being a password manager. But I think that the other products is where the (my) interest lies. Just my view. I have come to appreciate this thread for what it has turned up.
Oh I see, I thought you were making the argument that the keychain ought not be included because it was not a password manager.

Yes, I think having a finer definition of some of the password managers, i.e., 1PW7, 1PW8, subscription, no sub, etc is fine. I just went with the very high level of what are people using. Spending too much time in them migrant thread led me to think everyone was abandoning 1PW, so I was curious to see the state of the union, so to speak

Sweet_Caroline

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2022
Earth
My family has been using 1Password for years and I love the subscription version. Whatever it takes for me kids to take only safety and security seriously, I’m all for it.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Who’s the 1 person using Lastpass? And why?

Here's what it does:
  • The passwords are stored in an encrypted container,
  • it requires authentication to access,
  • its multi-device, i.e., Mac, iPhone, iPad,
  • it generates passwords
  • We receive warnings on compromised passwords.
The old adage fits, if it looks likes a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, then its a duck.
I feel like iCloud Keychain is a glorified browser password manager. If it ever got a standalone app, I think it would be more of an actual password manager.

Sweet_Caroline

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2022
Earth
Interesting results so far, with 209 votes, its nearly evenly divided between 1Password and Apple's Keychain, basically 75% of all respondents use 1Password or Apple Keychain

Given the histrionics in the 1Password migrant thread, I thought maybe the usage would have dropped. I guess the hatred of 1Password (one member stating its an evil company due to the subscription service) is limited to a couple of members.
Wait, a company is evil for changing how they charge people?
I was also expecting Bitwarden to be a bit higher.
View attachment 2372048
I thought it would be wait higher seeing its free. We tried it, I didn’t like it that much. I felt it wasn’t as smooth to use.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Wait, a company is evil for changing how they charge people?
Yes, there are some members who are extremely angry that they went to the subscription model.

I’m not a fan of subscriptions but I feel that 1pw is a good app and I get value

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Yes, there are some members who are extremely angry that they went to the subscription model.

I’m not a fan of subscriptions but I feel that 1pw is a good app and I get value

There are also some who seem to suggest that all software should be open source. People do need to make money and open sourcing all their work makes it almost impossible. Bitwarden works around that by selling subscriptions to make money.

Much of open source work is done by companies who make money on their own software, but utilize the code from open source projects they contribute to. Even 1Password contributes to open source related activities and probably directly on some open source projects. They have a significant vested interest in the quality of the open source software they use.

A while ago, I noticed 1Password's involvement here - https://www.w3.org/TR/webauthn-3/. A 1Password employee is a contributor.

Sweet_Caroline

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2022
Earth

So that’s what the whole 1Password migrants threat is about, someone got mad and spent years complaining about it? Wow. I originally thought it was just people looking for other password managers 😂

I’m not a huge fan either if subscriptions, but some are worth it.

Reactions: gilby101

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
So that’s what the whole 1Password migrants threat is about, someone got mad and spent years complaining about it? Wow. I originally thought it was just people looking for other password managers 😂

I’m not a huge fan either if subscriptions, but some are worth it.
It’s both. There is some good info in there if you wade through the hyperbole.

Reactions: Sweet_Caroline

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
I've never used a "password manager" -- at least not a standalone app.

I DID create my own password storage file, using a small app named "iData" (which is now free).
Just checked, and right now there's about 143 entries in it.

On my desktop, it's just a "hidden file", buried deep. It still takes a moment to find and open it.

On my laptop, I created a small (10mb) password-protected disk image file (dmg) and put the password file into it. This remains unmounted until I need a password. Then, I enter the master password to mount the dmg, and can open and find the site password I need.

I had a friend who was in "password hell" because he'd just jot down a password (in Morse Code, no less), and then couldn't find it later, or he had changed it.

So I created for him a document in Pages which is just a big "table". He can click and enter sites/usernames/passwords into, and again protect the entire document with a password. It helped him quite a bit !

Same here, not using any password manager. Hidden protected volume mounted as needed. For on-the-go access, I store sensitive info in a simple PIN protected notes app called Teka.
On a separate note, I do miss Blackberry password manager, I used it for a long time. No cloud, no sync, just secure storage of sensitive staff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.