Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
After looking at the store, I realized that:
The new Apple Pencil is compatible only with new the iPad air and pro
The new Magic Keyboard is only compatibly with the new Pro
And old MK only works with the new Air, while old Pencil will not work with the new iPads (probably because of the camera placement)

Also, iPad pro with nano texture (almost matt screen) is only available for models with at 1/2 TB and 16GB RAM

I was not planning to buy a new iPad, but given the 100gr weight reduction in the new 13" iPad (and Magic Keyboard, but we don't know by how much for the MK), I am very tempted by a cellular 1TB 13" pro with Magic keyboard and pencil pro... but over $2500 😰

PS I'll wait what iPadOS 18 brings to decide...

PS2 Forgot to mention, the actual sizes of the iPads are the following:
Pro 11: 11.1"
Pro 13: 13"
Air 11: 10.9"
Air 13: 12.9"

Last edited:
Reactions: Isengardtom

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I’m gonna trade in my M1 12.9 for the 13” probably, but if they make me buy another pencil I’m just getting the USB-C one.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Are you sure the old pencil won’t work? They showed that the Pencil Pro and Pencil both work with the new iPad Pros. My only question is whether or not my 11” Magic keyboard would work with the new 11” Pro.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I’m gonna trade in my M1 12.9 for the 13” probably, but if they make me buy another pencil I’m just getting the USB-C one.

Saw this -

5q87ttihr0zc1.png

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
Are you sure the old pencil won’t work? They showed that the Pencil Pro and Pencil both work with the new iPad Pros. My only question is whether or not my 11” Magic keyboard would work with the new 11” Pro.
No, unfortauntely they won't work or at least won't charge/attach (and Apple will certains software lock them to avoid partial function, just like the software lock the pencil 1, which can actually be unlocked to worked with USB C iPads, I have done it...).

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
No, unfortauntely they won't work or at least won't charge/attach (and Apple will certains software lock them to avoid partial function, just like the software lock the pencil 1, which can actually be unlocked to worked with USB C iPads, I have done it...).

This is a serious irritation for me. While the upgrade to the new large Pro from an M1 12.9 is tempting, having to also buy a new keyboard and pencil (and standard case that I use) really pushes the total cost beyond what I'm willing to pay.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I was not planning to buy a new iPad, but given the 100gr weight reduction in the new 13" iPad (and Magic Keyboard, but we don't know by how much for the MK), I am very tempted by a cellular 1TB 13" pro with Magic keyboard and pencil pro... but over $2500 😰
I was planning on buying the same (cellular 1TB 13" pro) ... but was really hoping I could use current Magic Keyboard for it along with the Pencil 2. But now the reality has set in that I really have to sell ALL my accessories, of course... the thought crossed my mind. But to actually know that it's true... tough pill to swallow.

CokeRing

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2023
Will the previous Magic Keyboard not work with the new M4 13" Ipad Pros?

Does the previous Magic Keyboard not have the proper cut out for the rear camera or the proper 2-pin alignment to connect and charge with the new ipad pro 13".

Aside from Apple potentially software restricting the hardware and the miniscule 1mm-sh depth change of the new ipad pro thinness causing functionality issues, the dimensions and alignments seem the same, and probably should work no?

Or what am I missing?

thanks

DaniTheFox

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2023
Switzerland
The new Magic Keyboard can‘t work with older iPads. It would fall over. The older iPads are 100 g to heavy.
But there is always the question why not the other way around. For that we have to wait for more detail as only pictures.
Only in the specs we see that they are not compatible. But I always wonder why?

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019

Does the previous Magic Keyboard not have the proper cut out for the rear camera or the proper 2-pin alignment to connect and charge with the new ipad pro 13".

Aside from Apple potentially software restricting the hardware and the miniscule 1mm-sh depth change of the new ipad pro thinness causing functionality issues, the dimensions and alignments seem the same, and probably should work no?

Or what am I missing?

thanks
From what I understand from the first hands-on, the new Magic keyboard is lighter and cannot hold the older devices, but there might be a chance that the old one will still work with the new iPads... we'll have to wait the reviews
Having said that, the main reason for purchase is the lighter weight, so if I buy the new iPad I'll sell my M1, the keyboard and the pencil too... the problem is... at what price...

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
I was planning on buying the same (cellular 1TB 13" pro) ... but was really hoping I could use current Magic Keyboard for it along with the Pencil 2. But now the reality has set in that I really have to sell ALL my accessories, of course... the thought crossed my mind. But to actually know that it's true... tough pill to swallow.
Curious to know, what price will you be selling? I have the cellular 12.9 M1 128GB model and was thinking of selling it + MK + pencil somewhat below $1000, how much below, I don't know...
You have the much more expensive one....

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
I am not trading in mine, trade in price are terrible... also I also have to get rid of all the accessories now...

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

Or what am I missing?

thanks
We won't know until it's in people's hands... because Apple did this before with the 2nd generation Magic Keyboard and stated it wasn't compatible for older generation iPad Pros. When in fact, it did work... it was just the cut outs were not aligned properly.

But as long as the pin alignment matched, we were able to use the older generation iPad Pros... that's why I really want to see what other people are saying.

From what I understand from the first hands-on, the new Magic keyboard is lighter and cannot hold the older devices, but there might be a chance that the old one will still work with the new iPads... we'll have to wait the reviews
Having said that, the main reason for purchase is the lighter weight, so if I buy the new iPad I'll sell my M1, the keyboard and the pencil too... the problem is... at what price...
Yeah, that price is what giving me second thoughts.

Curious to know, what price will you be selling? I have the cellular 12.9 M1 128GB model and was thinking of selling it + MK + pencil somewhat below $1000, how much below, I don't know...
You have the much more expensive one....
$800-900 alone for the iPad... I believe that's a fair price. But I'm thinking of selling the MK and Pencil separately... because including them in a bundle folks will lowball me. And I'd end up selling the accessories at a much cheaper price... something I'm not willing to do.

Reactions: CokeRing

CokeRing

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2023
Thanks, I was asking if the previous MagicKeyboard will work with the m4 ipad pro 13".
I will hold off buying the new Magic Keyboard until the m4 arrives next week.

I feel using the old magic keyboard with the m4 will have some alignment issues, which probably could be modded on the magic keyboard.

I doubt there is any underlying technical reason for incompatibility.
It would just APPLE doing regular Big Corporation garbage and restricting usage through software.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
After looking at the store, I realized that:
The new Apple Pencil is compatible only with new the iPad air and pro
The new Magic Keyboard is only compatibly with the new Pro
And old MK only works with the new Air, while old Pencil will not work with the new iPads (probably because of the camera placement)
I do not know what you mean by "old Pencil will not work with the new iPads," because the buy options for the iPad Pro include USB-C Apple Pencil as a choice in addition to the Apple Pencil Pro choice. Does that mean the non-USB-C Apple Pencil 2 will not work? If that is the case, I wonder why?

CokeRing

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2023
We won't know until it's in people's hands... because Apple did this before with the 2nd generation Magic Keyboard and stated it wasn't compatible for older generation iPad Pros. When in fact, it did work... it was just the cut outs were not aligned properly.

But as long as the pin alignment matched, we were able to use the older generation iPad Pros... that's why I really want to see what other people are saying.

Yeah, that price is what giving me second thoughts.

$800-900 alone for the iPad... I believe that's a fair price. But I'm thinking of selling the MK and Pencil separately... because including them in a bundle folks will lowball me. And I'd end up selling the accessories at a much cheaper price... something I'm not willing to do.
Thanks, Yeah I remember, I have been using the previous magic keyboard with my 3rdgen ipad pro, no issues, for many years.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
I do not know what you mean by "old Pencil will not work with the new iPads," because the the buy options for the iPad Pro include USB-C Apple Pencil as a choice in addition to the Apple Pencil Pro choice..
By old pencil I mean the one that has been sold till now and that attaches magnetically to iPads (which will continue to be sold too). USB C pencil lacks pressure sensitivity.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I’m going BIG, M4 13” iPad Pro 1TB 16GB RAM!!! + Nano Texture VRR OLED Display. This will be my new CinTiq drawing Tablet.
with Trade in this thing is a steal.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
I’m going BIG, M4 13” iPad Pro 1TB 16GB RAM!!! + Nano Texture VRR OLED Display. This will be my new CinTiq drawing Tablet.
with Trade in this thing is a steal.
I am doing the same with 5G + accessories, over $2500, and trade-in is a steal only for Apple (= they steal your money... compared to selling the iPad yourself)

Reactions: Ludatyk

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
I have always used this strategy before too and it has worked indeed even if it's much longer...
I'll try to sell mine for $650-700 + $200 for the keyboard and $70 for the pencil... Probably more chances than selling the full package for $900-950

Reactions: Ludatyk

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This slide in the presentation was shady AF. They showed this before the new accessories were announced, certainly making it look like the existing magnetic pencil would work with the new iPads.
IMG_1432.jpeg

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I have always used this strategy before too and it has worked indeed even if it's much longer...
I'll try to sell mine for $650-700 + $200 for the keyboard and $70 for the pencil... Probably more chances than selling the full package for $900-950
Yeah, I'm getting my boxes prepared. Are you looking to sell yours immediately or after the new iPad is in the hands?

Because I don't mind the iPad getting sold now... but I'd rather wait until I see how the keyboard and pencil will function with the new iPad.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
Yeah, I'm getting my boxes prepared. Are you looking to sell yours immediately or after the new iPad is in the hands?

Because I don't mind the iPad getting sold now... but I'd rather wait until I see how the keyboard and pencil will function with the new iPad.
I am actually not ordering the new iPads before WWDC, I want to see what iPadOS brings to the table... But I could put my iPad on sale in the meatime.
I might start as a bundle, and as a tablet only, to avoid selling the accessories first, and then after wwdc I'll decide (if I have sold the the iPad in the meantime decision will be easier...)

Reactions: Isengardtom

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south

I would like to know this about the keyboard as well before I drop $300 on another one. The one I have is like brand new.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I am doing the same with 5G + accessories, over $2500, and trade-in is a steal only for Apple (= they steal your money... compared to selling the iPad yourself)
5G is intense extra waste of money, and battery drain. Unless you absolutely need 5G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.