Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I am actually not ordering the new iPads before WWDC, I want to see what iPadOS brings to the table... But I could put my iPad on sale in the meatime.
Out of curiosity, what's the purpose of waiting to see what iPadOS brings in relation to the new iPads? Are you expecting features to be locked to the new iPads?

Because we all know what happen with the M1 iPads, expecting something special for WWDC that year... when that ended in disappointment. I've learned my lesson then, which I should have known better... buy for what the device is currently not on speculative features.

I might start as a bundle, and as a tablet only, to avoid selling the accessories first, and then after wwdc I'll decide (if I have sold the the iPad in the meantime decision will be easier...)
Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and post mine now... rather start early than later. Personally, WWDC won't weigh into my decision... I've had plans on buying this year's iPad since I skipped the last generation (I believe this warrants an upgrade).

I think the best reason to wait... is for some discounts. I'm just bummed out about the cost of everything.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Are you sure the old pencil won’t work? They showed that the Pencil Pro and Pencil both work with the new iPad Pros. My only question is whether or not my 11” Magic keyboard would work with the new 11” Pro.
Yes, and it’s because they changed how the wireless charging works. There is no model that supports both the Pencil 2 and the Pencil Pro.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
This slide in the presentation was shady AF. They showed this before the new accessories were announced, certainly making it look like the existing magnetic pencil would work with the new iPads.
View attachment 2375499

The existing Pencil will not work with the new iPads, it has a different charging/pairing system as the webcam is now in the way

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
No compatibility with Smart Keyboard Folios for the new iPads. No new Smart Keyboard Folios either. :(

I am NOT a fan of how quickly battery drains with the pre-existing Magic Keyboards.

I'm hoping that someone is able to verify if the Smart Keyboard Folios for the now-discontinued iPad Pros work on the new iPad Airs. It seems like there ought to not be any reason why it shouldn't. But Apple isn't advertising it. My getting a 13-inch iPad Air would entirely depend on compatibility with said keyboard. Otherwise, Apple is probably losing me as a customer of larger tablets. (Secretly, I'm totally okay with the iPad side of my Apple arsenal just being an iPad mini.)

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
Note that the new iPads only support eSIM.
I am in Europa, here iPhones support full SIM. I am assuming it's the same for iPads, at least I hope...
PS Well, after checking it seems that the M4 is eSim only indeed, that's a big bummer, so I am not sure I am upgrading after all since for me a physical sim is a big deal for travelling

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
Out of curiosity, what's the purpose of waiting to see what iPadOS brings in relation to the new iPads? Are you expecting features to be locked to the new iPads?

Because we all know what happen with the M1 iPads, expecting something special for WWDC that year... when that ended in disappointment. I've learned my lesson then, which I should have known better... buy for what the device is currently not on speculative features.

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and post mine now... rather start early than later. Personally, WWDC won't weigh into my decision... I've had plans on buying this year's iPad since I skipped the last generation (I believe this warrants an upgrade).

I think the best reason to wait... is for some discounts. I'm just bummed out about the cost of everything.
Thing is, I am still trying to justify spending over $2500 when I already have a M1 iPad pro with MK and pencil 2.
So on the one hand I want to see if I can do more than what I can do now, if there are some important AI features that are locked to the M4, and I also want to see reviews and see in person the new devices to see how much lighter they feel. What I really wanted was a larger iPad that could be similar in weight to the current 12.9, but a 13" that is much lighter is tempting too. Also I want to see for how much I manage to sell my M1 pro. If nobody buys it for at least $600 I am not sure I would be selling it at such a big loss...

Reactions: Isengardtom

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
I’ve ordered the 13” WiFi 512 Gb + pro pencil and new MK. To soften the blow I sold my old 11” pro 128GB A12Z from 2020 to a friend for 150 EUR. I don’t think I’m ripping him off, it is still a nice tablet.

I also plan to sell my current 12.9” M1 256GB WiFi. How much would I be able to get you think?

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Thing is, I am still trying to justify spending over $2500 when I already have a M1 iPad pro with MK and pencil 2.
Trust me, I‘m juggling with that… right now. Because performance wise… the M1 is perfectly okay. I’m more curious how this new display will look, that’s where I want the comparisons.

So on the one hand I want to see if I can do more than what I can do now, if there are some important AI features that are locked to the M4
I would be totally shocked if AI features are locked to the M4 when WWDC roll around, but given this whole situation with these new accessories are specifically tied to the new Pros. I’d take that back, totally within Apple’s brand.

Reactions: Isengardtom

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
Trust me, I‘m juggling with that… right now. Because performance wise… the M1 is perfectly okay. I’m more curious how this new display will look, that’s where I want the comparisons.

I would be totally shocked if AI features are locked to the M4 when WWDC roll around, but given this whole situation with these new accessories are specifically tied to the new Pros. I’d take that back, totally within Apple’s brand.
Honestly the miniled screen is already so good I am not looking for anything better in the oled itself. Having said that the nano texture could be a big deal IMO. And for me the main argument is the weight. But I really want to see what reviewers think of the new device before I pull the trigger...

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Honestly the miniled screen is already so good I am not looking for anything better in the oled itself.
No doubt, Mini-LED is good. But I want to understand the need for the $300 price difference between the two sizes (new Airs are $200 a part). So, I'm just curious how this OLED will look... there has to be a reason why Apple has taxed us another $100.

Having said that the nano texture could be a big deal IMO. And for me the main argument is the weight.
I'm not planning on buying that option... don't get me wrong, I travel with my iPad often. But I can pass on that, and weight has never really been an issue for me.

But I really want to see what reviewers think of the new device before I pull the trigger...
I'm pulling the trigger regardless... I like to be the judge for myself, only thing I want from reviewers is their thoughts regarding the old vs new accessories.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
No doubt, Mini-LED is good. But I want to understand the need for the $300 price difference between the two sizes (new Airs are $200 a part). So, I'm just curious how this OLED will look... there has to be a reason why Apple has taxed us another $100.

I'm not planning on buying that option... don't get me wrong, I travel with my iPad often. But I can pass on that, and weight has never really been an issue for me.

I'm pulling the trigger regardless... I like to be the judge for myself, only thing I want from reviewers is their thoughts regarding the old vs new accessories.
Well in the meantime I have checked and it seems that even here in Europe the new iPads are eSIM only, so I am not sure I am upgrading after all since for me a physical sim is a big deal for travelling (many places don't have eSIM or eSIM plans are way more expensive than regular cellular plans). I do this every year and buy a local sim for my M1. If I cannot do that it means I need to keep my M1, which makes no sense if I buy the M4... That's very disappointing...

• Wow
Reactions: Ludatyk

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Honestly the miniled screen is already so good I am not looking for anything better in the oled itself. Having said that the nano texture could be a big deal IMO. And for me the main argument is the weight. But I really want to see what reviewers think of the new device before I pull the trigger...
I hate the blacks on my screen. That’s the biggest reason I’m upgrading. Also I can afford to upgrade now and think this iPad will last me a long time.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Well in the meantime I have checked and it seems that even here in Europe the new iPads are eSIM only, so I am not sure I am upgrading after all since for me a physical sim is a big deal for travelling (many places don't have eSIM or eSIM plans are way more expensive than regular cellular plans). I do this every year and buy a local sim for my M1. If I cannot do that it means I need to keep my M1, which makes no sense if I buy the M4... That's very disappointing...
Disappointing, indeed! Perhaps, go the Wi-Fi route and keep the M1 for traveling? Just a suggestion.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
Disappointing, indeed! Perhaps, go the Wi-Fi route and keep the M1 for traveling? Just a suggestion.
Yeah but that sounds like so much waste to keep the M1 + accessories just for when I travel... Otherwise I should use a secondary phone like my old iphone SE first gen as modem, which is annoying...
If it's eSim only I am not buying the 5G, at least I'll save that money...

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Yeah but that sounds like so much waste to keep the M1 + accessories just for when I travel... Otherwise I should use a secondary phone like my old iphone SE first gen as modem, which is annoying...
If it's eSim only I am not buying the 5G, at least I'll save that money...
Well, on second thought. I’ll likely wait until WWDC as you suggest... mainly for some motivation lol.

Because these accessories has thrown my plans off. My plan initially was to keep my current accessories (buy the new ones at a later date) and pick up the 13” TB Cellular Pro, but now I’d have to purchase the accessories (that’s roughly $500) something I wasn’t expecting to do.

I could opt for the base 13” Pro cellular model and purchase the accessories… but I’m sure I’ll miss the luxury of all that storage. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
Well, on second thought. I’ll likely wait until WWDC as you suggest... mainly for some motivation lol.

Because these accessories has thrown my plans off. My plan initially was to keep my current accessories (buy the new ones at a later date) and pick up the 13” TB Cellular Pro, but now I’d have to purchase the accessories (that’s roughly $500) something I wasn’t expecting to do.

I could opt for the base 13” Pro cellular model and purchase the accessories… but I’m sure I’ll miss the luxury of all that storage. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Between the nano texture and the RAM I would not go under 1TB. I know 8GB is plenty now, but this is a very future proof device and I would regret not getting the 16GB RAM down the line. Personally I can be ok with 256 (but 128 is tight) but for the RAM is a big argument.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Between the nano texture and the RAM I would not go under 1TB. I know 8GB is plenty now, but this is a very future proof device and I would regret not getting the 16GB RAM down the line. Personally I can be ok with 256 (but 128 is tight) but for the RAM is a big argument.
I caved. I decided to go ahead and upgrade to the 1TB cellular model, I‘d like to see that OLED display… but going to wait on the accessories.

And as you mention, it’s future proof…. I’d end having it for at least 2 years. I’m bound to find some discounts on accessories during that time.

CokeRing

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2023
Thanks, Yeah I remember, I have been using the previous magic keyboard with my 3rdgen ipad pro, no issues, for many years.
The previous magic keyboard works with the new m4 13” ipad pro. the magnets are misaligned so it does not stick to the keyboard, but the keyboard, trackpad and charging work.

I just tested now.

updating ipados now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.