Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thats all folks

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2013
Austin (supposedly in Texas)
yes, Phil is right. they chose a smaller, thinner case over the ability to create a true powerhouse of a computer. the same logic can be universally applied to so many types of machinery.
what Phil is not offering is their reasoning and principles behind the choices Apple has been making and how they view their designed limitations in regards to who they think their customers are.

oldoneeye

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
Standby time is key if you are going to spend any significant time away from a plug and charger. Of course no one needs 30 days of standby. But Apple's current standby ability means that you don't have to bring a charging cord when you go away for the weekend knowing that you are going to only use light work that weekend. It would be frustrating if the laptop lost charge over time quickly.

One of the key things about battery life is not how the battery works now, but how it will work three or four years from now. Every laptop is sufficient these days during its first year. But Macs are expected to last five years. How is the battery life going to be at that point? Will it be even serviceable for a cross country plane ride?

of course you could make the battery serviceable ....

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
may be in the near future 15" MBP will end up with 32GB magically and you have to pay $2500 and upwards to get just to get 32GB RAM.

What is up with all the so called low end macbooks ($999 and up, no one calls them as low end other than apple) end up with 8GB RAM?

the marketing and money grab really took over Pro section of the company - what ever it is!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
16 GB of RAM in this machine is just great in the universe where a new Mac Pro was released alongside this laptop. I sure don't need more than that if I have a brand new tower taking on my heavy lifting.

But in THIS universe Apple has put the following graphic on their website in a clear attempt to make us understand that this laptop is the Mac Pro replacement.

So, in that case, **** you, Apple.

mbp.jpeg

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Based on the tech info out there for the processors they use, this makes sense. That said, Had they come out with a desktop replacement (workstation class) Notebook that could exist in the outgoing Retina MBP case, support 32+ GB of RAM, and keep those legacy ports, I am sure many on here would be happy (despite it likely having a high price).

They used to offer a lot of options for their Laptop consumers, 17" models, Matte Screen options, and extra ports on their larger models.

Perhaps, there is one in the works....

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
16 GB of RAM in this machine is just great in the universe where a new Mac Pro was released alongside this laptop. I sure don't need more than that if I have a brand new tower taking on my heavy lifting.

But in THIS universe Apple has put the following graphic on their website in a clear attempt to make us understand that this laptop is the Mac Pro replacement.

So, in that case, **** you, Apple.
he asked MacBook Air users to try out MBP, so full bs.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This all looks to be an issue with Intel not supporting LPDDR4. But let's blame Apple.

I keep saying that Apple needs to move on from Intel as this seems to hold them back a lot. Even on the phones it seems that the intel chips are too slow.

Apple, you have become a great chip design house. Screw Intel and design your own chips and give us 100TB of memory LPDDR75. :D

Maxx Power

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2003
I don't see why we can't have at least a separate model that is more like the non-Retina Macbook Pros circa 2012. Leave the thickness be and stuff in 4 DIMM slots and 2 M.2 slots. You can reduce the overall dimensions by reducing the size of the bezels. Without the optical drive and the 2.5" drive, there ought to be plenty of space. Top it off with a better keyboard with actual key travel.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
This all looks to be an issue with Intel not supporting LPDDR4. But let's blame Apple.

I keep saying that Apple needs to move on from Intel as this seems to hold them back a lot. Even on the phones it seems that the intel chips are too slow.

Apple, you have become a great chip design house. Screw Intel and design your own chips and give us 100TB of memory LPDDR75. :D

and apple's innovation would be charge $200 for every USB port!

clearly they are focusing on Dollars.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Phill.. what I don't think you understand is that you don't have to compromise the battery time so much if you left a couple extra mm on the thickness. You are painting yourselves into a corner trying to always go thinner and thinner with minimal regard to the other tradeoffs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.