Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fett

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
I had mentioned this idea in the photo of the day thread for a place that photo's could be posted to receive constructive feedback and criticism. I was thinking that a rating out of 5 could be used and then explain why you gave the rating you did. Comment only about the photo nothing personal, if you are going to just give 0/5 don't bother posting that.

The photo of the day thread should still be used for sharing photos where I see this thread will have more discussion about the photos (I hope).

EDIT: I think it should be kept to one photo a day per user.

Mods if you think this is a bad idea or it should be part of the daily photo thread feel free to lock or delete this thread

I'll get it started.

FROST

fett

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
I'll do my own photo as an example of what I was thinking.

Frost:
3/5 - The pine needles of the right side of the photo lead the eyes out of the photo, maybe a different crop or lower f/stop to create more DOF would help.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Why make it "daily" and why make it monthly?

In other forums, there is just a Critique thread. Just my 2cents. Then again, this is probably a more used forum, and the monthly section might not be a bad idea, other wise youll have to scan through hundreds of pages.

But I would change the name from "Daily Critique" to just "Photo Critique"

Great idea BTW:)

fett

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
Why make it "daily" and why make it monthly?

In other forums, there is just a Critique thread. Just my 2cents. Then again, this is probably a more used forum, and the monthly section might not be a bad idea, other wise youll have to scan through hundreds of pages.

But I would change the name from "Daily Critique" to just "Photo Critique"

Great idea BTW:)

Name changed, Photo Critique is better. I think the mods might like it to be monthly so it doesn't grow huge like the photo of the day thread did.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
FROST:

I am finding it hard to critique this photo. It's not a bad photo, but it is fairly simple. I actually quite like it, I find it pleasing to the eye, the way that it starts in the shadowed area (left side) and then it makes you eye travel to the lighter area (right side). I also like how the focus in the far back is out, it makes it more interesting. I personally like how it makes your eye travel from the left side of the photo to the right.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
That idea sounds good to me, but I feel that many posters will either give you advice/critiques that the photogs want to hear (because the posters are unexperienced) or the few posters that do this for a living will step in and be honest and give the best advice of all.

Now... I give it a 3/5. It's a good photo but my mind can't wrap around anything else about it. It's empty after you get past the frost, it doesn't tell my anything and there is no human interaction or emotion to drive the image where the photog wants it to go.

It is a great example of contrast and the shooter did a good job of balancing the shadows and the highlights of the frost.

fett

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
Thanks Marc and Skunk. This is the type of feedback I think that could be really useful. Hopefully this thread will catch on.

Marc: I do like how the eye moves left to right but a couple of almost in focus needles go out of the frame and I find that it leads my eye out.

Skunk: I agree the photo is interesting but lacks any story or emotion.

I picked this photo because I knew it was an average photo at best in hopes that by putting myself out there first it would encourage others to do the same.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Thanks Marc and Skunk. This is the type of feedback I think that could be really useful. Hopefully this thread will catch on.

Marc: I do like how the eye moves left to right but a couple of almost in focus needles go out of the frame and I find that it leads my eye out.

Skunk: I agree the photo is interesting but lacks any story or emotion.

I picked this photo because I knew it was an average photo at best in hopes that by putting myself out there first it would encourage others to do the same.

Exactly, as I said, its a simple photo, some what average. Thats not to say it isnt good though. I think it would make a neat postcard type thing, or one of those "moo" cards. One other thing I see is there is a gray speck in the middleish right side, that I find stands out and is distracting. Did you use photo shop on it at all? Maybe try "smudging" or "cloning" that speck out?

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I posted two of these in Photo of the Day but I want some real criticism of them as a series and also on my technique!

So here's the Hunted to Extinction series:

TheHunters.jpg

IMGP0216.jpg

IMGP0297.jpg

So, let me have it!

SLC

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
I remember I posted this picture somewhere but I don't remember where. I am trying to get an old time feel to it. My overall goal is that I want to take a 4.00 per gallon picture and make it look like it is from when gas and diesel cost about a nickel a gallon. If you would like me to post the original image I will.

Attachments

• DSC_0212.jpg
    DSC_0212.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 222

timtam

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
BaLi
I remember I posted this picture somewhere but I don't remember where. I am trying to get an old time feel to it. My overall goal is that I want to take a 4.00 per gallon picture and make it look like it is from when gas and diesel cost about a nickel a gallon. If you would like me to post the original image I will.

I remembered your photo, nicely done with photoshop (I assume)? the original was a good pic as well.
Your photo creates more "feel" to it, great job

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
On the other forum I was talking about, we have a rule.
A minimum of 3 critiques must be posted on the previous photo before a new photo can be posted to get critiqued. It worked well. The only problem, is because like I said it is a smaller local forum, when no body started posting critiques, the thread died out because no one could post new photos. So something to consider, so we dont get tons of photos at the same time. Maybe we should do something like that, or similar? perhaps a min. of 2 critiques before a new photo can be posted?

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007

I like your idea but I don't care for the "swirl" effect added in post. It looks amateurish.

fett

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
I posted two of these in Photo of the Day but I want some real criticism of them as a series and also on my technique!

So, let me have it!

SLC
3/5- Of the three photos the bottom one is the best photo IMO. It's a very interesting subject but I find having bottom hand cut off distracting. I think shooting a little wider to get more of the skeleton into frame and maybe getting lower to ground to be closer to the skeleton's level would have made a better photo.

WOW this is harder to do than I thought.

3/5 - I like what you have done with the colors but I don't think the photoshop effect adds to the photo. I think it would be better to crop closer to the sign and make the image more vertical.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver

So here's the Hunted to Extinction series:

TheHunters.jpg

So, let me have it!

SLC

By far my favorite. It isn't so much the composure of the photo, but the story that's being told which makes it stand out, IMO. I just love the way the caveman's skeleton looks, and it's posture... Don't worry, you have a good reason to like these photos :).

As for the other two, I thought they were really good as well, just not *as* good as your first. I would try, as I think fett has suggested, simplifying the image a bit (i.e. making sure you don't have any cut-off pieces of skeleton or an untidy background). Beyond that, I think that these photos are truly exceptional in their own, unique way. (4.5/5 for the first, and 3.5/5 for the last 2)

Edit: as for HomeingPigeon, I agree with what a previous poster said. While you have a visually enticing photo there, I am sure that it would be much better without the blur. While the blur may work if you plan on using the image as a thumbnail or such, I think that the overall effect it has on the photos composure isn't very good. 3/5

fett

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
I'll post another one to keep the thread going. I'm toying with the idea of creating the valentine's card myself this year. This was my first attempt.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I'll post another one to keep the thread going. I'm toying with the idea of creating the valentine's card myself this year. This was my first attempt.

Good one. I would give it a 3/5 standard, but a 5/5 because the special someone will love it. It is different and there is something more happening in the scene besides being a rainy day. I would have to ask if the shape happened to appear there, or that's how you drew it? If it was natural then that makes for a wonderful candid/editorial piece. If you drew it than it's still a good shot compositionally IMHO, but it sends the image down the road of, "What else." There's that missing element somewhere, like we are waiting for something more.

By the way... I am a journalist so my opinion is going to lead me toward that area of photography. No hard feelings I hope.

p.s. send that photo into Apple, they may want to use if for their iCards.

seniorstinky

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

I agree with DS about the score on both counts.

What I'd add is that the I'd go vertical and crop off the left side of the photo. The rail doesn't add anything to the photo and most cards are vertically inclined.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
I agree with SeniorStinky about cropping out the rail on this one, fett. Besides that I don't think it could be drastically improved. While perhaps you could experiment with retaking it in different tone sets or overall hues, the texture of the drops and the way that the heart stands out is quite excellent. 3.75/5

Here's one of mine that I have been toying around with. I'm not quite sure how much I like it but I would definitely appreciate any ways I could make it better :).

fett

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
.... If you drew it than it's still a good shot compositionally IMHO, but it sends the image down the road of, "What else." There's that missing element somewhere, like we are waiting for something more.

By the way... I am a journalist so my opinion is going to lead me toward that area of photography. No hard feelings I hope.

p.s. send that photo into Apple, they may want to use if for their iCards.

First of course there is no hard feelings. I'm thankful for your honest opinion. I think I might try sending it too apple thanks for the idea.

I drew the heart on the window and even fixed it in photoshop

I agree with DS about the score on both counts.

What I'd add is that the I'd go vertical and crop off the left side of the photo. The rail doesn't add anything to the photo and most cards are vertically inclined.

Thanks, I'm going to play around with the cropping and see how I like it.

Here's one of mine that I have been toying around with. I'm not quite sure how much I like it but I would definitely appreciate any ways I could make it better :).

Everythingisnt: I actually really like that photo. 4/5 - the only thing that I can think of is maybe have the horizon on the bottom 3rd line instead of in the middle. One more thing, if you had a graduated neutral density filter could have exposed the rocks and see a couple of stops more and had a bit darker sky. I've never used one though I usually will bracket my landscapes and merge in photoshop. Good job and I would be making more trips to this location. Very nice spot for photography.

zirkle2007

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Indiana, USA
I agree with SeniorStinky about cropping out the rail on this one, fett. Besides that I don't think it could be drastically improved. While perhaps you could experiment with retaking it in different tone sets or overall hues, the texture of the drops and the way that the heart stands out is quite excellent. 3.75/5

I like this picture a lot. I'm a big fan of landscapes! I say 4/5. The only thing I would try to work on, like fett said, lighten up the rocks. Towards the bottom right they are like a black void. It would add a lot to be able to pick out the rocks. I wouldn't brighten them too much, I like the dark look, but just enough to see the individual rocks.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR

I like it, I'm going to say 3.5 out of 5 simply because I think that it needs a little more attention on the crop! I'd agree that either cropping a larger portion of the sky out, or cropping some of the sea away would really help this one! It's always best to have a lot of one or the other depending on what looks best to you. Either way, the horizon needs to be on a third line! Other than that, great job!

SLC

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Everythingisnt: I actually really like that photo. 4/5 - the only thing that I can think of is maybe have the horizon on the bottom 3rd line instead of in the middle. One more thing, if you had a graduated neutral density filter could have exposed the rocks and see a couple of stops more and had a bit darker sky. I've never used one though I usually will bracket my landscapes and merge in photoshop. Good job and I would be making more trips to this location. Very nice spot for photography.

Thanks :). I know that whenever I look at this photo, something never really seems to "click" like it does with some of my others. Hopefully a crop will help change this. As for the lighting, I think that I will try to bracket my exposures and merge them in photoshop (like you do) when I re-take this. The only difficulty will be the fact that the water around here is very dynamic, and could generate some serious 'ghosting' in a combined image. (Unless I manage to subtly mask in the lightened rocks while leaving the water at normal exposure... :D)

As for the spot, you're absolutely right. It's a beach off of Point Grey (near where I live, in Vancouver), and it has the most beautiful sunsets ever. I remember posting a sunset picture taken from here on the photo of the day thread, in fact!

I like this picture a lot. I'm a big fan of landscapes! I say 4/5. The only thing I would try to work on, like fett said, lighten up the rocks. Towards the bottom right they are like a black void. It would add a lot to be able to pick out the rocks. I wouldn't brighten them too much, I like the dark look, but just enough to see the individual rocks.

Thanks for the rating as well! I already tried brightening in photoshop/aperture but I get too much of a 'grainy' look if I do. While the original file has lighter rocks, the sky is too monotone for my liking, which is why i fiddled with the contrast earlier. I think that i'll try retaking it, as I said earlier.

I like it, I'm going to say 3.5 out of 5 simply because I think that it needs a little more attention on the crop! I'd agree that either cropping a larger portion of the sky out, or cropping some of the sea away would really help this one! It's always best to have a lot of one or the other depending on what looks best to you. Either way, the horizon needs to be on a third line! Other than that, great job!
SLC

Good pointers about cropping. I am definitely going to review the photo and possibly get better results in a re-take. I don't really think that cropping out the sky is an option, because if I do I lose alot of the bright sun-flare. However, if I try to crop out the bottom, I end up losing alot of the rocks, which I particularly like in this photo because of the way that the light reflects off of them. I think that I'll try fix these in a re-take ;). Anyways - thanks for the comment :D

As for your photo, Zirkle, I like the way that it's composed. I see what you mean about the weather not cooperating, as I think that it would look better with either a clear/sunny sky. Also, you might want to try uncluttering the sides/top of the frame - or, if you don't have the space to do that, getting a bit closer so that the way you show off the tangle of branches isn't as distracting. Besides that I'd watch the lighting, as it's quite washed-out where I presume the sun is hiding behind the tree. It gives the other one a bit of a silhouetted look, which I (personally) don't think fits with the rest of the photo.

Anyway, nice pic! 3/5 as I think it has alot of potential.. And btw enjoy your new camera :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.