Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fett

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
Thanks :). I know that whenever I look at this photo, something never really seems to "click" like it does with some of my others. Hopefully a crop will help change this. As for the lighting, I think that I will try to bracket my exposures and merge them in photoshop (like you do) when I re-take this. The only difficulty will be the fact that the water around here is very dynamic, and could generate some serious 'ghosting' in a combined image. (Unless I manage to subtly mask in the lightened rocks while leaving the water at normal exposure... :D)

This is what I do when I bracket my shot, I go from one exposure that is good for the sky and one for everything else. Then in photoshop use two layers with the sky on the top layer. I then mask out the top layer and then paint back in the sky portion. Very quick and gets pretty good results.

I am going to be getting a neutral density filter though, my goal is to get as much as I can in camera.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Here's what I had in mind, I hope you don't mind! If it's not agreeable just let me know and I'll remove it (I've already deleted it from my computer). But I think this crop is more pleasing.

Attachments

• seats5.jpg
    seats5.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 133

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Thanks for the tips, fett :).

And I don't mind at all, SLC! That's a very attractive crop, actually. I'll probably try and achieve something similar to that when I re-take it, as I want the emphasis to be on the rocks and the waves as they crash together.

zirkle2007

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Indiana, USA
So is there a limit to how often we can put up a picture for feedback? Just wondering.

So this is another one I've pulled from playing around.

http://jzirkdesign.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/dsc_0013.jpg

Does anyone know how I could link that so it shows up here?

Anyways, I wish I could take it again, because I would definitely move the food/water bowl in the back, and probably get rid of the objects on the right. I guess I just really like this one because its hard to get cats to cooperate with a shot...:p

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
So is there a limit to how often we can put up a picture for feedback? Just wondering.

So this is another one I've pulled from playing around.

http://jzirkdesign.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/dsc_0013.jpg

Does anyone know how I could link that so it shows up here?

Anyways, I wish I could take it again, because I would definitely move the food/water bowl in the back, and probably get rid of the objects on the right. I guess I just really like this one because its hard to get cats to cooperate with a shot...:p

It's ... alright. We do have a fair number of cat photos, and I don't find anything particularly spectacular about this one. You're right too - some of the objects in the photo are a bit distracting. But yeah, pets are tough. You need a bit of luck to get a good shot.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Powell's

Alrighty then... ready for criticism. Location is in Powell's Bookstore, Portland OR.

DSC_4988.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
Exposure: 1/40 sec
Aperture: f/5.0
Focal Length: 18mm

fett: I guess I already critiqued your "valentines" photo in the daily pic thread, and I agree with the vertical crop idea if you want to make a card out of it... otherwise, I kind of like the whole thing as it is for a large print.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
A wiser photographer than myself once said that "a good photograph is one in which the photographer works with his gear to achieve a well-exposed, well-composed image that tells a story or has some artistic merit."

I'm not a huge fan of the lighting. The glare from the outside is a bit distracting. Plus, what is this photo supposed to be about? The guy at the desk? The symmetry of the bookshelves? I just don't take a lot from it.

mattwe

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
Fett: I really like the valentines card and would leave the rail in - I think it is well framed (but isn't necessarily 'card framed'). Totally random idea - since it is a posed pic, I think it would have been cool to take it from the outside looking in with a nicely bokeh'd silhouette in the heart (to increase the storytelling aspect of the pic).

Everythingisnt: Beautiful shot - Where was it if you don't mind me asking? I would like the horizon about an inch lower but love the very shadowed/underexposed rocks - they add a mystique to the shot.

Pdxflint: I think I get the story you are trying to tell, but it isn't quite there - the lighting is very distracting (especially the glare off the books). I think it could have been a great shot if it had been from a different angle (maybe more down looking up) and if the sun had cooperated more.

Shackle: cool concert shot. I have taken a lot of pics at concerts and know how hard it can be to get "that moment" - I think you did it well. I might crop the crowd out a bit, but that is personal preference.

I will wait and submit a pic once some more critiques have come up (although I have not had much time and only have a couple of shots from the K10 that I like).

Disclaimer: these are the rambling ideas of a semi-enthusiast.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Alrighty then... ready for criticism. Location is in Powell's Bookstore, Portland OR.

DSC_4988.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
Exposure: 1/40 sec
Aperture: f/5.0
Focal Length: 18mm

fett: I guess I already critiqued your "valentines" photo in the daily pic thread, and I agree with the vertical crop idea if you want to make a card out of it... otherwise, I kind of like the whole thing as it is for a large print.

I like this photo because it is something that I can critique much further than I thought once I looked at it for a while. I give it a 2.5-3/5. The image attempts for symmetry but it's not quite there with the ladder and the off center angle. It's got some great color in the wood of the bookshelves, a tad bit on the yellow side but that's what you get with the mixed lighting and the wood.

The part that is the big let down is the guy on the end. I don't mean to be harsh, he just isn't interesting and the blown highlights are really making his boredom pop out.

- Lower angle, get on your knees.
- It's okay to move things if you aren't shooting journalistically so get that ladder out of the way next time
- Get closer to your subject, the guy I assume, and put more of those elements like his book bag, the papers, and his books into the scene to really give that "I am studying feel"
- Expose for the highlights. That guy may have to have been silhouetted and the bookshelves under exposed to get the guy as the center of focus. Then you could have gotten the shelves back in post which is perfectly fine both artistically and journalistically.

Good photo though, those are the images that you grow from and that show that the photog has an eye that is dying to be trained.

Concert photo taken w/
Nikon d80
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
f/1.4
Shutter: 1/20
ISO: 800

2246137390_c97ccd3dc3_o.jpg

Concert photography is going to evoke more emotion that most others. People go to concerts to hear the music they love, and that music makes them feel a certain way, or gives them an idea, or feeling that another genre can't give. That's what has to be captured in concert photography. The image is good, but the first thing that someone may ask is, "What type of music is he singing?" and a lot of times photos of the concerts don't portray that or give mixed messages.

The best concert photography passes that on to the viewer almost immediately without hesitation.

Look at the attachment below. You can tell what genre this band is in even if you have never seen them or heard of them. The flames, the crazy face, and the lighting lead you right into what emotions or feelings people may get from the music, or what makes the band unique.

In defense of the photographer, most concerts don't have as much invested in lighting as mainstream or high end indie music, and some bands don't try their best to give that band culture/feel to the public.

Attachments

• 0743_131149_MyChemicalRomance_brighton_01.jpg
    0743_131149_MyChemicalRomance_brighton_01.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 132

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
To be fair:

Nikon D2hs
f/2.8
ISO400
34 mm
1/160

Background: NABJ shootout contest. Theme: African American influence on Las Vegas.

Caption: (if you want to be a journalist, this is the most important part of your image, I learned the hard way while I was in school.) Phil Ellis is an air brush artist that originally hails from Tampa Bay Florida, but left a managerial position and moved to Las Vegas four months ago to open his own air brushing business. Ellis expresses his love for Las Vegas in his artwork and says that the cities nice friends, nice work, and nice customers keep him going throughout his workday. He also says that the driving force behind his business, titled Fresh Made Inc., is his strong faith in God and his self taught abilities.

Attachments

• BLESSINGS 8.jpg
    BLESSINGS 8.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 122

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Wow digitalskunk, you really did a great job with this one! I like that you kept the ISO down even though it's a low light shot, it shows that you care about your images enough to do what it takes. A high ISO shot would have looked grainy or overprocessed and plastic because of noise reduction and you've avoided them both even though it likely made this shot a lot more difficult to nail like you did.

I think people can take a lesson in composure from this image, the subject is in the lower right third, the art frames him in and occupies the other 2/3rds of the frame, and the light makes sure we don't get too distracted looking at the artwork. I'd give it a 4.5 out of 5 maybe even a 4.75 out of 5!

SLC

qtpie36963

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
I thought I'd add one of mine! I like looking at everyone's and seeing what people have to say, I'd appreciate feedback as well!! Thanks Guys!

2247132498_c56fcab601_b.jpg

Nikon D40
Shutter 1/80
F/9
ISO 200
48mm

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I'm not a huge fan of the lighting. The glare from the outside is a bit distracting. Plus, what is this photo supposed to be about? The guy at the desk? The symmetry of the bookshelves? I just don't take a lot from it.

Yeah, the lighting was problematic, with a bright day outside, and varied fluorescent and incandescent lighting inside. The photo is part of a series of pictures which describe a sense of place. The person sitting there isn't the subject, necessarily - it's more like something you would see if you were exploring the nooks and crannies of the place. I appreciate your comments a lot. Thanks.

Pdxflint: I think I get the story you are trying to tell, but it isn't quite there - the lighting is very distracting (especially the glare off the books). I think it could have been a great shot if it had been from a different angle (maybe more down looking up) and if the sun had cooperated more.

Thanks for the feedback. One version had the outside nicely exposed, but most everything inside virtually sillouetted, and the glare was still there (shiny covers, etc. hard to expose for without vastly underexposing the rest, oh well, some you win, some you lose...;) I probably should have gotten lower, or just forgot about the shot - that's what feedback is for. :)

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
Critique please :D

Just a picture of some birds while backpacking through the Strathcona Provincial Park. Taken with a Sony Cybershot.

DSC01020.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I like this photo because it is something that I can critique much further than I thought once I looked at it for a while. I give it a 2.5-3/5. The image attempts for symmetry but it's not quite there with the ladder and the off center angle. It's got some great color in the wood of the bookshelves, a tad bit on the yellow side but that's what you get with the mixed lighting and the wood.

The part that is the big let down is the guy on the end. I don't mean to be harsh, he just isn't interesting and the blown highlights are really making his boredom pop out.

- Lower angle, get on your knees.
- It's okay to move things if you aren't shooting journalistically so get that ladder out of the way next time
- Get closer to your subject, the guy I assume, and put more of those elements like his book bag, the papers, and his books into the scene to really give that "I am studying feel"
- Expose for the highlights. That guy may have to have been silhouetted and the bookshelves under exposed to get the guy as the center of focus. Then you could have gotten the shelves back in post which is perfectly fine both artistically and journalistically.

Good photo though, those are the images that you grow from and that show that the photog has an eye that is dying to be trained.

Thanks DS. Lots of great points, for sure. I can't say I put a lot of thought into the shot, but was more seeking images that might convey a sense of being in this place (more the subject than the guy.) It is more of a photojournalism shot (in fact most of mine are from that philosophical bent...) so moving things, arranging them was out of the question. Getting lower would have been okay... I'm not sure if you're saying the shot would have been better without the guy?? or if I concentrated on the guy's "story." I was more trying to capture the essence of what being in Powells on a Sunday morning is like, where it is like Portland's living room/den, etc. The particular room the shot was taken in also has a coffee shop and most of the patrons were reading the paper, magazines, books or playing chess, etc... I think as a part of a series this shot may have had some merit, but standing on its own just as a picture, it has clearly not worked. Thanks. I've really enjoyed the feedback from everyone on the picture. :)

To be fair:

Nikon D2hs
f/2.8
ISO400
34 mm
1/160

Background: NABJ shootout contest. Theme: African American influence on Las Vegas.

Caption: (if you want to be a journalist, this is the most important part of your image, I learned the hard way while I was in school.) Phil Ellis is an air brush artist that originally hails from Tampa Bay Florida, but left a managerial position and moved to Las Vegas four months ago to open his own air brushing business. Ellis expresses his love for Las Vegas in his artwork and says that the cities nice friends, nice work, and nice customers keep him going throughout his workday. He also says that the driving force behind his business, titled Fresh Made Inc., is his strong faith in God and his self taught abilities.
Very nice. Watch the spelling in the cutline (cities should be city's.) I especially like the limited depth of field (nice to have good glass... ;) ) Since you were there taking shots of this guy, presumably more than one shot, I would have preferred one with him actually wielding his airbrush or doing something. This shot's composition is excellent, but the subject is just standing there with his head down...and without your caption I might have mistaken him for someone just looking at the artwork. It wouldn't have been a bad idea to also do an environmental portrait of him, that is, turn him more toward the camera, maybe even acknowledging the camera by looking into it. I'd like to see his eyes, and get to know him better. Otherwise, technically and compositionally excellent. 3.75-4.0

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Concert photo taken w/
Nikon d80
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
f/1.4
Shutter: 1/20
ISO: 800

I have to admit, concert shots are difficult... in this one the chair distracts me. With the angle you had and the pose of the singer, this might have made a better sillhoutte shot, in combination with other pictures as a series. As it is, it just seems a wee-bit flat. To me, this shot is about body language and emotion, which would have worked well in higher-contrast (like the old jazz black and white shots.) I like the backlighting spotlight effect, and you captured that essense really well. What looks a bit odd the more I look at the shot, is how low his mic is, making him look like he's deep-throating the mic, ... but that's not your fault. That's one thing I liked about the old 35mm contact sheets, where I could look over the rest of the shots and suggest one or several others that you might have overlooked. 3.5

Later: As a follow up, I did a quick crop, and minor color tweak. I don't know if it improved it or not, but I like this crop... hope you don't mind. :) Another way would have been to keep the spotlight by going more vertical...

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Critique please :D

Just a picture of some birds while backpacking through the Strathcona Provincial Park. Taken with a Sony Cybershot.

DSC01020.jpg

I really like this shot! Very clear, a nice angle, interesting subjects.. I think that you have a really nice shot there..

qtpie36963

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008

I really like the composition of this photo. I find it most interesting because the branch (which is what catches my eye) is off center and I think it's an interesting relationship between positive and negative space...

Over all, I give it a 3.7/5

OCBC

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2007
utah hummingbird frenzy

here's one i took this summer one early morning in utah. it was an awesome experience. probably 30 hummingbirds going after this one feeder, diving in for a fleeting sip. i got in within a foot and they couldn't care less. their buzz was so loud it sounded like a car engine.

Nikon D50
RAW
ISO 200
55mm
f5.6
1/1000 sec

Attachments

• hummingbirds.jpg
    hummingbirds.jpg
    652.3 KB · Views: 110

qtpie36963

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
here's one i took this summer one early morning in utah. it was an awesome experience. probably 30 hummingbirds going after this one feeder, diving in for a fleeting sip. i got in within a foot and they couldn't care less. their buzz was so loud it sounded like a car engine.

Nikon D50
RAW
ISO 200
55mm
f5.6
1/1000 sec

I find this photo very interesting. You have quite an eye for composition. I love the fact that even at 1/1000 of a second the birds wings are still blurry! They are so fast! You've got a nice eye... I like the way the other birds that are out of focus break up the big chunk of sky!! I give it a 5/5!!! YAY!!

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
I really like this shot! Very clear, a nice angle, interesting subjects.. I think that you have a really nice shot there..

I really like the composition of this photo. I find it most interesting because the branch (which is what catches my eye) is off center and I think it's an interesting relationship between positive and negative space...

Over all, I give it a 3.7/5

Thanks alot!

Heres another of mine.

DSC00951.jpg

fett

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
Sorry I don't have anytime today to do an critique's but I'm going to put a landscape in. Interested to hear what everyone things.

Edit: I wanted to say thanks to everyone who has posted photos or offered their opinions. I've already learned a lot just from reading critique's on others photos. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.