Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I'm back!

Just returned from a month-long photo trip.

Here's a shot from Day 1:

SperlongaViewOut1.jpg

A view from inside the Grotto of Tiberius, Sperlonga, Italy.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
It's still 28 minutes till August starts for me, but what the hell.

I finally got me a good macro lens from Canon with a ring lite and found this at work outside a window.

I put the light beneath this tray of dead cigarettes and was quite astounded about the good light.

3775503481_b80bb0183c_b.jpg

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Great shot TheReef! I love the brightly lit clouds. Is that a rainbow in the middle there?

Thanks! Yes that is a rainbow, there is actually another very faint one to the left of it as well. I thought about emphasizing them, I donno…it might look too fake.

cymrulp

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
Uk
here's mine, taken a few miles up the road from my house

Attachments

• LonePerson_Sunset_1280.jpg
    LonePerson_Sunset_1280.jpg
    696.2 KB · Views: 285

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Thanks! Yes that is a rainbow, there is actually another very faint one to the left of it as well. I thought about emphasizing them, I donno…it might look too fake.

I think you're right, the contrast and saturation are already where they need to be, anything more would look too much.
BTW, is this the DA 12-24mm f4 lens? If not, which lens were you using here? How are you happy with it? I'm looking for something wide and that's one of the lenses I'm considering.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
BTW, is this the DA 12-24mm f4 lens? If not, which lens were you using here? How are you happy with it? I'm looking for something wide and that's one of the lenses I'm considering.

Yes it is the DA 12-24mm f4. It arrived only a few weeks ago, so far it's been going great. Very sharp, no major complaints, excellent build quality. The front is huge, balaces well with a K10/20D, and feels a lot more solid holding and rotating the rings than the kit lens (and it comes with one of those useful edge and center pinch lens caps).

As with most ultra wide angles it seems you get a fair amount of purple aberrations in the corners at 12mm in high contrast situations, it looks to decrease slightly as you stop down. At 24mm its there but only very slightly. Please keep in mind I'm talking about when viewing the image at 100% here, when viewing regularly you have to look harder it might not even bother you. The good thing is it's mainly purple and can easily be fixed in photoshop so not a great issue…or if your lucky and have the K-7 it'll fix it for you :p With the kit lens I'd sometimes get other cyan/magenta/red/green colourful aberrations across the frame and was very annoying to get rid of it all, as trees are green too! You'll still get them but it appears they occur in less situations with this lens which is good.

Anyway, I was in your situation a month ago too, I also took a look at the wider Sigma 10-20mm, but after reading about quality control issues I really didn't want risk it, and there aren't any local camera stores around that'd be convenient to send back too. The prices are around the same as the 3rd parties so I went with the Pentax. I was worried about loosing the 2mm compared to the Sigma, but find the 12-24mm focal range very useful nevertheless.

I'd highly recommend it!

PS the blurry surf club building in the background is due to water dragging the tripod not the lens ;)

Just returned from a month-long photo trip.

Welcome back, how was the trip? Get lots of Alamyables? :p

Suspended
Jun 16, 2008
You might have heard it.....
The replica of the Prins Willem VOC ship burned down a couple of days ago....
I went there yesterday to shoot some pictures.....
Rumor here goes around, the replica was actually used in pirates of the caribbean, but it's just a rumor.

enjoy:

3777754700_fd817b182b_b.jpg

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Welcome back, how was the trip? Get lots of Alamyables? :p

Thanks! The trip was amazing. We organized the whole itinerary around photo ops and the "golden hours" of each day. :) However we often found ourselves suffering in intense heat and smacking off bugs and spiders while perched behind tripods in opportune locations. So we didn't spend our time as most tourists would, but yes, I think I've returned with a good haul for Alamy, enough to keep me sorting, interpolating, and keywording through the end of the year, probably. :eek:

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Yes it is the DA 12-24mm f4. ... {snip} ... I'd highly recommend it!

Thank you very much for this extensive review! It's very helpful to hear about the real world experience from the more experienced users ;)

If you're ever in the market for the normal to mild tele zoom, I highly recommend the SMC A 35-105mm f3.5, it's extremely sharp across the whole zoom range once stopped down to f4. It's sharper than some of my primes (Sigma 24mm f1.7 and Zeiss 20mm f4), the color rendition and contrast are superb. I totally fell in love with this lens. Best of all, I got it used from ebay Germany for 120 euro :D

Here is a sample:
EuryalosFortressGallery.jpg

Camera: Pentax K20D; Lens: Pentax SMC A 35-105mm f3.5
Exposure: 35mm; f8; 1/6s; ISO200; EV-0,5; hand held

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
A very arresting image. Well done. Did you make the flower red or was it really a red flower? It looks too good to be true!

Thanks. It was closer to orange originally, but after a few tweaks - mainly bumping up the contrast and black point, then cutting saturation - it turned much redder.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Is it just me, or are you guys bringing your "A Game" to start out August!? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.