Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Saw it , liked it , took it.
Canon 5D mk2 , 24-105@105 , ISO400 f8 , 1/500

Attachments

• IMG_0903-2.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 197

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
The flattening occurs because your brain picks up that the hood and some surrounding pavement should be in focus. You need to be stopped down at least a little to have such sharp focus from grill to roof. Because there is no pavement in focus, it reads as being a very shallow depth on the car. It's not so much a criticism as an observation... something to be aware of.

My apologies, i still dont see what you are talking about, but as I was looking at it again I did notice some 'haloing' around the reflection of the trees on the hood which is bothering me now. I know what stopped down means, unfortunately I am still only on 'P' mode on my XTi and have not graduated, if you will, to 'M' mode yet.

I'm excited though, tomorrow is the first day of school. Photography 101, here i come! Hopefully by semesters end i will completely understand what you are trying to tell me here. Thank you again though for your time.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
kinder2.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
DOF experimentations...

I'm just playing around with a cheap, but easily overlooked little 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor on my D50. I actually like this lens better on a DX body, I think, because it almost behaves like a full-frame 80-85mm f/1.8 lens in character, yet you can pick one up for about $100-110 on ebay. I'm still trying things out I could never do with my kit 18-55 lens - more to come as I test this one further.

DSC_7899.jpg

Camera: NIKON
Model: D50
ISO: 800
Exposure: 1/80 sec
Aperture: 1.8
Focal Length: 50mm

scatron

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2008
Sandy, Utah
As close as I get to doing portraiture:

(click for larger version)

Pentax K100D
Pentax DA 18-250mm @65 mm
1/180 sec, f/5.6 with a Pentax AF 360 FGZ Flash

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
My apologies, i still dont see what you are talking about, but as I was looking at it again I did notice some 'haloing' around the reflection of the trees on the hood which is bothering me now. I know what stopped down means, unfortunately I am still only on 'P' mode on my XTi and have not graduated, if you will, to 'M' mode yet.

I'm excited though, tomorrow is the first day of school. Photography 101, here i come! Hopefully by semesters end i will completely understand what you are trying to tell me here. Thank you again though for your time.

Trying it from an artist's perspective (hope this helps)

As things fade into the distance, they become less detailed and even blur together if far enough away from the viewer. This is perspective, and makes all the difference between a square, with a triangle on top with a window, door, and stick-figure family (all smiling of course); and an intricately sketched capitol building replete with gorgeous and believable detail.

What happened in this picture was that you skewed perspective by making the background a uniform blur. Once this is done, the car looks much more 2-D than it would otherwise if you had let the lens handle the Depth of Field.

Try this...take the same picture with your lens wide open. Depending on the lens you are shooting with, there is an excellent chance that the blur will be taken care of for you.

Hope it helps....mcavjame is an amazing photographer and this, I believe is what he/she is trying to say...

Love the experimentation...playing in the sandbox is the only way to learn IMO.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
back to flowers they make me happy

Nice pic, although the background is a bit busy and distracting. What lens/settings did you use to take this pic?

I'm just playing around with a cheap, but easily overlooked little 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor on my D50. I'm still trying things out I could never do with my kit 18-55 lens

Having a wide aperture lens is fantastic - I got a 50mm f1.4 and never used the kit lens again!
---

Testing my new UWA at the beach. I like the picture, but there's something about it that seems off. Could it be that the horizon is smack in the middle?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.