Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
lsizo5

Canon 5D
Focal Length: 40mm
Exposure: 1/250 f/5.6 ISO 50
Lens: 17-40L
ND Grad 8

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Barn in Teesdale...

barnteesdale.jpg

Your ability to capture the quality of light continues to amaze me, Doylem.

Do you rely on the in-camera metering or do use a hand held meter?

I shot film until my AE-1 locked up, and I was never comfortable with camera exposure control and used a meter. I have some background with the zone system. That won't help me when I pick up a DSLR around Christmas, but it sure did teach me how to see the spectrum of light in an image.

Dale

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
^^
Great shot aaronw1986, One of my photographic goals is to get a good dragon fly shot.

It was the forest fires in Canada made for a beautiful sunset in Southeast Alaska. I will try again tomorrow night with a longer lens.

Attachments

• 20090803_SmokySunset_0047 .jpg
    20090803_SmokySunset_0047 .jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 120

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
The above comment on quality of light applies to you, my lady. You have captured very different types and tones of light in seperate visual planes. In-camera or hand held metering?

Excellent work from all in this forum this month!

Dale

Thanks, Designer Dale. :)

I do have an old hand-held meter, but I only ever use the meter in my camera.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Your ability to capture the quality of light continues to amaze me, Doylem.

Do you rely on the in-camera metering or do use a hand held meter?

Thanks. I just use in-camera metering (set on manual). For landscapes I always use a tripod, so I can lock onto a composition and see what the light does to it. As the light changes, I make small adjustments (always to the shutter speeds, leaving the aperture constant... probably f11), and often bracket shots. By not looking at the camera controls, I can concentrate on the scene... 'cos a play of light might only last a second or two... and I want to be ready for it.

I shot film until my AE-1 locked up, and I was never comfortable with camera exposure control and used a meter. I have some background with the zone system. That won't help me when I pick up a DSLR around Christmas, but it sure did teach me how to see the spectrum of light in an image.

A DSLR will give you freedom to shoot more, without costing $$. That is: I'm happy to shoot more pix that don't quite work if that helps me to get the one that does. I know where the 'delete' button is...

And what you know about light already will stand you in good stead when you go digital. That is: it takes longer to learn about light, IMO, than it does to learn about workflows and post-processing...

marsvolta

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2006
Sun Setting behind the South Island of New Zealand

Attachments

• gQOCN.jpg
    gQOCN.jpg
    650 KB · Views: 139
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.