Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
One of my first photos I've really ever taken - a total beginner. C&C please.
3829001149_f7318afb1e.jpg

Nice use of diagonal, and color for contrast. Did you crop it to composition? If so, try Phrasikleia's suggestion to move the nailhead off center and see if it gives the shot more pull.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
I took this photo a few weeks ago in the desert of Atacama.

3836078394_c8daf23178_b.jpg

This is a very interesting pic, it almost looks like your viewing earth from space in the lower half and different regions of colour tone work great with the composition, nice one.

Off the beaten path in Apulia:

Trulli3_sm.jpg

Great composition of shape and lighting here, I like it.

Simple and works well for me, I like how the sharp green moss in the lower corner contrasts with the different colour tones of the paint like running water.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
bambi

taken yesterday in yosemite valley. my wife and i were laughing at the number of cars that had no clue this cute animal was right on the side of the road.

3835312275_148df9f5d1_b.jpg

DrummerBASS

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Nice use of diagonal, and color for contrast. Did you crop it to composition? If so, try Phrasikleia's suggestion to move the nailhead off center and see if it gives the shot more pull.

No cropping at all, will try it now.

edit: Better?

3836531545_f328fe993c.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
How exactly do you get the water to look like that? I'm a noob in the photography world so I don't know. How much post work if any was done on the picture? It's quite lovely btw.

Thank you. I'd like to say it was difficult, requiring a lot of skill... but I'd be lying... ;)

I used a tripod and slow shutter speed (a couple of seconds, aperture wide open). No PP. Try it, it's easy (but don't forget the tripod and cable release)...

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
No cropping at all, will try it now.

edit: Better?

3836531545_f328fe993c.jpg

There's something there, but I'm not sure that's it. The nailhead isn't as interesting as the colors, I don't think.

Remember that all I'm doing is giving an opinion. My qualifications extend to being just another moke with a camera and a keyboard.

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
Experimenting with Nik's Silver Efex. Please excuse the hasty clone in the lower left corner.

Converted to "Kodak TriX 400", did some other stuff. Not completely happy with this photo just yet, but I'm giddy at the possibilities of this cool tool.

_MG_6552-Edit-Edit-Edit-2.jpg

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
More Tilt/Shift

Met up with a friend this afternoon for some more Tilt/Shift practice. Came out with a lot of great shots, wasn't quite sure which one to settle on. Maybe I'm just ready for bed. Anyhow, no PP, just exported RAW from Aperture.

jessica_thanksgiving_point.jpg

Canon EOS 20D :: 45 mm :: f 2.8 :: 1/1250 sec :: iso 100 :: CA Sunbounce

Click Here to see the Unedited PhotoSet

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
And I'll jump the gun by 2-3 minutes on tomorrow...

_MG_6649-1.jpg

I really think these shots look better in color, as the blues and rusts add something- but I'm still looking for lighting that really does it justice. If they're having an event at the trolley museum the parking lot will be open later and you get nice evening light coming from the entrance way side of the lot.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I like this one! I looked at the others, but I think you choose the best one; I was not impressed by the modelling capabilities of your model in the other pics, she doesn't look at ease. Just my impression...

Thanks! Telling how to pose and things is still one of my biggest struggles - I notice a few things I should but miss other things, like comfort. I've never really thought of making sure they're at ease... I usually shoot portraits for people getting married, I just let them kiss a lot, usually relieves stress :)

I've got the TS for a few more days, one more wedding tomorrow. I reaaaaallllly enjoy this lens. Local photo store has it for $1279... I'm tempted. If I had an extra $1279 hanging around.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Met up with a friend this afternoon for some more Tilt/Shift practice. Came out with a lot of great shots, wasn't quite sure which one to settle on. Maybe I'm just ready for bed. Anyhow, no PP, just exported RAW from Aperture.

I'd prefer it if her eyes were open, or at least that kinda squinted look. It makes the pose look kind of odd. Otherwise I think its pretty cool and I usually don't like Tilt Shift people shots. I looked at the others as well and I didn't think the model was bad at all (referring to other guy's post.)

object88

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008

I'm going to chime in and say that this is really good. Since the tilt/shift thread, I've been wondering what it would look like on a person (as opposed to landscape / architecture shots).

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I'm going to chime in and say that this is really good. Since the tilt/shift thread, I've been wondering what it would look like on a person (as opposed to landscape / architecture shots).

People are my favorite subjects, so I've been renting the various TS lenses to find one that I like best for portraits. 90mm is a great focal length for portraits, but I think it limits you on full body/full body with surroundings shots. I've only used the 24 and 45 so far and realllly like the 45. I have it for a few more days. I'll post up some more portraits.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Little Orange House

Just got back from a 2 week cross-country trip. Did a similar trip last summer and while killing time at the bottom of the grand canyon I found the little orange house in my bag. It was one of a few hundred that made up an art installation commenting on suburbia. Anyway, I've been taking pictures of it across the country ever since. This was my favorite from my most recent trip. It was taken in Lower Antelope Canyon near Page, AZ. No post processing other than exporting the raw from lightroom. The colors there were spectacular.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.