Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
ca. 350 BC

Still beautiful after all these years.

ExtantCapital_BW.jpg

xcalibre

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
xcalibre

I just checked out your website! Use capital letters after full stops or use "I" instead of "i" and your email address why not just use the "@" symbol instead of saying blah at blah dot com?
the lack of capitalisation is intentional, the formatting of the email address is to prevent spam.
was that all you could think of to comment on?
i've truly failed if the only interesting things you found on my site were grammatical errors!

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
the lack of capitalisation is intentional, the formatting of the email address is to prevent spam.
was that all you could think of to comment on?
i've truly failed if the only interesting things you found on my site were grammatical errors!

I can understand the email address but I thought if you put the email address as a jpeg format then that prevents spam? I'm sorry if you think it was an attack merely just a comment and friendly criticism. I would want someone to point out mine on a website as to be honest if I stumbled across it, I would not have known it was intentional just lazy. Again not meant as a personal attack, as I feel you have some very good images! I'm only very new to this so I am still experimenting so I can admit my floors. So yes you could say you failed if I was drawn to your grammatical errors and not your images as for some people it is distracting. But I have bookmarked your site to look at your future images.

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
I can understand the email address but I thought if you put the email address as a jpeg format then that prevents spam?

Sorry to jump in the middle of this but just to clarify the situation...

This used to be the case, and can work for some harversters but many harvesters have OCR functionality built in making a clear JPG useless in the fight against SPAM. This is why Captcha style scripts produce almost unreadable combinations of characters these days.

In addition it would be considered an accessibility barrier.

However the use of a good email adress encoder goes a very long way to prevent spam and allows a proper usable, linkable and clickable email link.

Example of email encoder - http://www.wbwip.com/wbw/emailencoder.html

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
Sorry to jump in the middle of this but just to clarify the situation...

This used to be the case, and can work for some harversters but many harvesters have OCR functionality built in making a clear JPG useless in the fight against SPAM. This is why Captcha style scripts produce almost unreadable combinations of characters these days.

In addition it would be considered an accessibility barrier.

However the use of a good email adress encoder goes a very long way to prevent spam and allows a proper usable, linkable and clickable email link.

Example of email encoder - http://www.wbwip.com/wbw/emailencoder.html

Good link many thanks!

md2427

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2008
Manchester UK
Center Parcs Whinfell Forest Cumbria

Had some snow last night....
Been for a weekend away and woke up to quite a few inches of snow. Made getting of the site a little interesting......

Attachments

• DSC_0094.jpg
    DSC_0094.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 115

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
One I took today in a cemetry in South Wales:

Attachments

• Final_Resting_Place_by_matt_booth.jpg
    Final_Resting_Place_by_matt_booth.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 145

xcalibre

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
I can understand the email address but I thought if you put the email address as a jpeg format then that prevents spam? I'm sorry if you think it was an attack merely just a comment and friendly criticism. I would want someone to point out mine on a website as to be honest if I stumbled across it, I would not have known it was intentional just lazy. Again not meant as a personal attack, as I feel you have some very good images! I'm only very new to this so I am still experimenting so I can admit my floors. So yes you could say you failed if I was drawn to your grammatical errors and not your images as for some people it is distracting. But I have bookmarked your site to look at your future images.
No problems, I checked out your page as well, good stuff, I particularly like the "Final Resting Place".

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
No problems, I checked out your page as well, good stuff, I particularly like the "Final Resting Place".

I appreciate it thanks alot! Going to try some sky shots like yours in the near future if we ever get any decent sky!

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
There was a really long power cut where live last week and as I'm still very (very) new to the game I thought I'd learn a bit about shutter speed.... Any advice would be more than welcome!

(Thumbnail looks a bit washed out for some reason, please click it)

Attachments

• Lighter in powercut1_small.jpg
    Lighter in powercut1_small.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 246

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
Any advice would be more than welcome!

The position of the flame bugs me a little, there is a big black area to the right of the flame. I think you were trying to get the flame in the middle (being the subject) so not sure if cropping would help any (would just send the balance too much the other way.) Otherwise I liked it, esp the sparks!

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast

andersen001.jpg

Matt Andersen

Another fine bluesman - just flown in from Canada for a UK tour​

I'm really liking your portraits. Really well done! They make me want to study the subjects' faces. I can almost hear this guy playing guitar and singing the blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.