Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
4376947643_bd263a3d5f_o.jpg

Took me a second to wrap my eye around this and figure out what was going on. Did you actually drop the cup (doubtful) or just take the shot as you were rapidly overfilling the cup?

Interesting image. Makes me want to play around with something similar. Hope you had some paper towels handy :)

4371022336_13748cec73_o.jpg

I love the way you've got all the focus on her face; everything else recedes into the background. In this particular case I don't find the cords at all distracting; I think they add something as 'props' that tell the story of a brief rest from play.

Funny, my wife said the same thing. Sometimes I get too wrapped up in the technical aspect of things (thinking about rules) and lose sight of the forest for the trees. Kate liked the cords in the background for the same reason you did. :) She also liked the way the head on view from above gives the optical illusion that Zoe is smaller than she really is--making her seem like a much younger kitten. She certainly ACTS like a little baby with all the silly antics and wonder which that implies :)

xoxooox

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
London
She is my first and only one English friend now, I went to her home to celebrate Chinese New Year's Eve, I love playing with she :)
4388335792_8ebd6c9062_o.jpg

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
She is my first and only one English friend now, I went to her home to celebrate Chinese New Year's Eve, I love playing with she :)
4388335792_8ebd6c9062_o.jpg

Beautiful image. Thanks for sharing it. And welcome to the forums :)

Don't feel bashful about posting. This is a very friendly community and we all love seeing new images. Don't worry if you don't receive a comment on an image you post. It doesn't mean we hated it--sometimes (often? really often??) interesting shots get "passed over" for various reasons. Says nothing about how all of us feel about them. Keep posting. I look forward to seeing more of your images :)

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
Thank you for your kind comment. It's great to know I'm not alone in the subjects I like to look at.

hey thats alright, i thought both your pictures there were amazing :)
bloody hell though, looking at that exif data on the second one...
f22, iso 50, 1/60? That must have been a bloody bright location! haha :D
Keep 'em coming buddy, great photos :)

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Slovakia's game winning goal (in the shoot-out) vs. Russia...

p68695236.jpg

A testament to the 70-300 IS on a crop body as this is where I was sitting relative to the far net... (and I'm not trying to sneak 2 photos in here!)

p74206697-2.jpg

rekud300

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2009
Ohio
Lunch

Happened to be working on my Pictures on my computer at the table overlooking my backyard with my camera right next to me, and got this through a window..

Attachments

• DSC_0323_2.jpg
    DSC_0323_2.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 136

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I knew it, the area looks all to familiar. I live in the central valley of california. This wouldnt happen to be near Bakersfield would it?

It's about an hour's drive east of Bakersfield, on the way up toward Lake Isabella. That whole region is really beautiful and very relaxing. You're lucky to live there!

Here's another shot from that area:

RanchViewNorth.jpg

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
It's about an hour's drive east of Bakersfield, on the way up toward Lake Isabella. That whole region is really beautiful and very relaxing. You're lucky to live there!

Here's another shot from that area:

RanchViewNorth.jpg

I see what you saw in the light in the foreground, but it frames blur- I think this would have been really nice either focus stacked or with a lot more DoF.

Paul

Joe King

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Mount Mapas Obelisk:

This obelisk, built in 1742 by John Mapas to give employment to destitute families who had lost their crops following a harsh winter, sits at the summit of Killiney Hill, Dublin. The mound upon which it is constructed is the remains of a Bronze Age passage tomb.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
^^^ Great sky... but your obelisk needs a little straightening, I think...

Here's another folly, called the Hoad: an exact replica of the famous Eddystone lighthouse - but without a light - built on a hill overlooking the sea near Ulverston, in Cumbria. It celebrates Sir John Barrow, a 'local lad' who went on to do great things (including founding the Royal Geographical Society)...

With a heart-shaped cloud it might make a good Valentine's Day card, but, with the shape of the folly, maybe not... ;)

hoad174.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Stairway to nowhere...

...for boarding the slightly taller boats. It just caught my eye.

4389668330_485926e754_o.jpg

ISO 200
1/400 second
Aperture = ƒ/2.8
80 mm

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I see what you saw in the light in the foreground, but it frames blur- I think this would have been really nice either focus stacked or with a lot more DoF.

Paul

RanchViewNorth.jpg

Yeah, I realize this one stretches the rules a bit, but I actually dropped the clarity on the background to make it even more soft and dreamy. To me it's all about what is "framed" in the foreground, namely the big rock and its high place. I saw that rock and thought I could be pretty happy just sitting there listening to the wind against that peaceful backdrop for a looong time. Alas, maybe it doesn't work. Thanks for the comment.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Yeah, I realize this one stretches the rules a bit, but I actually dropped the clarity on the background to make it even more soft and dreamy. To me it's all about what is "framed" in the foreground, namely the big rock and its high place. I saw that rock and thought I could be pretty happy just sitting there listening to the wind against that peaceful backdrop for a looong time. Alas, maybe it doesn't work. Thanks for the comment.

For what it's worth... it works for me. I actually like the slightly out of focus background - it's clear enough to give the foreground subject context, but focuses my attention up close. The sense of being high, and the sense of space all add to this shot for me. So I do get what you're doing with this, and I like it.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Like I said, I totally get why you shot it- but purely as an image, my eye starts at the left edge, goes up, then across the top, down the trunk to the rock and stops- because there's not anything in focus to spiral into the center of the frame with- if there were- this would be an awesome shot, with a 3D appeal that many shots lack. I mention it because if you hit a similar situation, I hope you'll focus bracket the heck out of it. As it is, I fell like it's a nice frame lacking a picture- just my impression.

Paul

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
For what it's worth... it works for me. I actually like the slightly out of focus background - it's clear enough to give the foreground subject context, but focuses my attention up close. The sense of being high, and the sense of space all add to this shot for me. So I do get what you're doing with this, and I like it.

Thanks, pdxflint. I'm glad that it registers for someone else too.

Like I said, I totally get why you shot it- but purely as an image, my eye starts at the left edge, goes up, then across the top, down the trunk to the rock and stops- because there's not anything in focus to spiral into the center of the frame with...

Well, the rock is the subject, so if the eye didn't stop there, it definitely wouldn't work. I was hoping, however, that the highest, most distant peak just visible through the branches would offer a subtle call-and-response to keep the eye moving without presenting competition to the subject. As I said, I didn't like the way the large background upstaged the rock, so I dropped the clarity on it selectively in post. I understand that you want there to be something to focus on elsewhere; I'm sorry it doesn't work for you. It's definitely not one of my more formulaic shots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.