Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Shot it with a 7artisans 50mm f/1.1
Seemed to be getting a lot of buzz. I can definitely vouch for it being the "poor man's noctilux"

Ahh interesting lens. I thought it was something fast and wide open because of the CA on the girl's arm.

What do you think of it? I was toying with the idea of one as they’re pretty cheap for an F1.1 Lots of conflicting rumours about performance wide open though.

pmxperience

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
United States
Ahh interesting lens. I thought it was something fast and wide open because of the CA on the girl's arm.

What do you think of it? I was toying with the idea of one as they’re pretty cheap for an F1.1 Lots of conflicting rumours about performance wide open though.

It's actually good for what it is. I think it does a very good job of, at least, acknowledging its inspirations. Of course, it does have its drawbacks at that price range (the CA and general corners being good examples of said drawbacks). But, if you're either on the wall about getting it or just need something because the Noctilux f/0.95 is astronomically out of your range, I say take the plunge and get it. You'll definitely be pleasantly surprised by the performance and quality. My next few posts on this thread will be from the M9 & 7artisans combo.

Reactions: MacRy

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Golden Eagle in snow

D5X_5235-XL.jpg

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
It's actually good for what it is. I think it does a very good job of, at least, acknowledging its inspirations. Of course, it does have its drawbacks at that price range (the CA and general corners being good examples of said drawbacks). But, if you're either on the wall about getting it or just need something because the Noctilux f/0.95 is astronomically out of your range, I say take the plunge and get it. You'll definitely be pleasantly surprised by the performance and quality. My next few posts on this thread will be from the M9 & 7artisans combo.

Thanks for the info. I look forward to seeing more from it on the M9.

I keep getting tempted by one but it may just be a case of GAS and the novelty value of the large aperture. I generally like my gear to be compact so I can always have it with me. That’s why I recently bought an Elmar 50mm 2.8 collapsible - nice and tiny so it fits in my work bag. Worth a punt if you’re looking for a good travel lens as they are very reasonably priced and great performers.

Reactions: pmxperience

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Sorry I've not been posting much. I've still not managed to get the video done, hopefully soon though before I lose motivation to get it sorted. Anyway, here's a new image - my first of 2018. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come...

Silhouettes & Stars
January 2018

My first image of 2018 is from the Galloway Dark Sky Park on Saturday 6th January. I've been to this exact spot before during the day and thought it would make for an effective shot of the night sky with the Milky Way visible. The image combines a shot for the stars and a longer exposure for the foreground. Unfortunately due to the breeze, there were no reflections on the water because the reservoir was a wee bit choppy.

Fuji X-T2 with Samyang 12mm f2 NCS lens.
Sky: 15s / f2 / ISO 3200
Foreground: 2min / f2 / ISO 6400

View attachment 748761
[doublepost=1517063662][/doublepost]

I was allowed a wee play with one in Edinburgh Jessops. Loved it and took to it straight away. Oh how much I'd love one. If anyone wants to crowdfund me, be my guest :D

A beautiful image again. I need to get down to a dark sky sight at some point.

If I become a multi millionaire I will send a GFX your way... It is a nice bit of kit.

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
So, three months after I got my first Leica (M8), I got the deal of the century on an M9. Here's something from my first outing with the new system!

View attachment 748772

What lenses are you using?
[doublepost=1517210462][/doublepost]

Cool. Thanks for the review. I too am torn by the reviews for it. I tried a Nokton 50mm f1.1 last year and was very impressed. I guess the pixel peeper that I try to suppress is jusy too strong in me.

Looking forward to seeing some shots.
[doublepost=1517210770][/doublepost]
He'd just had a play in the sawdust box!
[doublepost=1517156193][/doublepost]
Where is this? Looks familiar but I can't place it.

Used to be taken there on school history trips... In fact I remember having a scuffle with my friend in that doorway as a 9/10 year old. Probably over something life chànging for boy and trivial for an adult. My friend now owns a restaurant in Fort William... Reminds me, I need to go visit him
[doublepost=1517210846][/doublepost]
An older one I've not posted before.

_DSC2264 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr
Very nice! Lovely colours and details.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.