Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
What a transformation. This castle was constructed to show off strength and ownership of the land but today it’s a mere ruin entertaining some lost tourists.

c5baf63a818245ba15f38ac1516d5d39.jpg

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
What a transformation. This castle was constructed to show off strength and ownership of the land but today it’s a mere ruin entertaining some lost tourists.

c5baf63a818245ba15f38ac1516d5d39.jpg

Still worth a wander round even if it isnt as well preserved as Alnwick or Bamburgh right?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
What lenses are you using?
[doublepost=1517210462][/doublepost]

Cool. Thanks for the review. I too am torn by the reviews for it. I tried a Nokton 50mm f1.1 last year and was very impressed. I guess the pixel peeper that I try to suppress is jusy too strong in me.

Looking forward to seeing some shots.
[doublepost=1517210770][/doublepost]

Used to be taken there on school history trips... In fact I remember having a scuffle with my friend in that doorway as a 9/10 year old. Probably over something life chànging for boy and trivial for an adult. My friend now owns a restaurant in Fort William... Reminds me, I need to go visit him
[doublepost=1517210846][/doublepost]
Very nice! Lovely colours and details.
Cheers.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
This is from the Corning Museum of Glass. Amazing exhibits! I forgot to take a picture of the little card that explains who the artist/sculpture was, and a summary of what this piece is about. Everything is made of glass, like for instance, in this picture even the table the piece is on is glass. Some would think that is just a normal polished table made of anything but glass. I have some pictures of the art/sculptures and the summary card for some other pictures I took there if anyone is interested? This place is absolutely amazing, and stunning.

This is also the same Corning that makes the glass for our iPhones.

If anyone can get to this place, make sure you do...you will not regret it! You will be amazed by the glass art/sculptures, and be in Heaven if you love to take pictures! It is in Southern New York, pretty close the New York/Pennsylvania border. I will post the address just in case anyone lives near, or wants to go there.

The Corning Museum of Glass
One Museum Way
Corning, NY 14830 + Telephone: 1.800.732.6845 or 1.607.937.5371

Here is the CMOG in two minutes:

IMG_0041.JPG

:apple:

Last edited:

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
This is from the Corning Museum of Glass. Amazing exhibits! I forgot to take a picture of the little card that explains who the artist/sculpture was, and a summary of what this piece is about. Everything is made of glass, like for instance, in this picture even the table the piece is on is glass. Some would think that is just a normal polished table made of anything but glass. I have some pictures of the art/sculptures and the summary card for some other pictures I took there if anyone is interested? This place is absolutely amazing, and stunning.

This is also the same Corning that makes the glass for our iPhones.

If anyone can get to this place, make sure you do...you will not regret it! You will be amazed by the glass art/sculptures, and be in Heaven if you love to take pictures! It is in Southern New York, pretty close the New York/Pennsylvania border. I will post the address just in case anyone lives near, or wants to go there.

The Corning Museum of Glass
One Museum Way
Corning, NY 14830 + Telephone: 1.800.732.6845 or 1.607.937.5371

Here is the CMOG in two minutes:

View attachment 749000

Forgot all about this place . Went there many (too many) years back when my kids were pre-teens as a side stop on the way from visiting family farther north . Was really good back then , kept the kids entertained . Think maybe I'm due to go back , maybe this summer .

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Lovely. But I prefer the owls. But that's just because I think they are beautiful birds.

Ah yes. The eagles. Forgot about them. Bears and owls are not enough to make us sick with envy. :)

Keep them coming! I love them ( and the nausea ....)

Thanks guys...much appreciated and @oblomow - don't puke, please don't puke...I hate puke as much as MacRy hates spiders. :eek:

Nice shot but I think from this angle it would be perfect for a very long exposure and slightly wider b&w if it's possible for you.

~ Peter

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Forgot all about this place . Went there many (too many) years back when my kids were pre-teens as a side stop on the way from visiting family farther north . Was really good back then , kept the kids entertained . Think maybe I'm due to go back , maybe this summer .

Yeah, I live about 3-3 1/2 hours north of Corning, NY up Central New York. If you have heard of Syracuse, NY then you have an idea of where I live because I am about 40 minutes east of Syracuse.

My mother always wanted to go, so for her birthday I took her. On the way there I was thinking it was going to be boring and what not, however, at age 32 I think I was more intrigued than she was! I was taking pictures like crazy, video of the glass blowing show etc. Also, making your own glass is pretty damn cool!

I highly recommend it to anyone that is close or that wants to take a trip. It is definitely worth it!

Reactions: someoldguy

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Completely agree. I tried a black & white edit earlier but don’t know if it actually looks nice.

7304ce678f7c6554b60e0cd3c78fe68f.jpg
I like the B&W. I think it works well. Agree a slow exposure might look nice on a cloudy day.
[doublepost=1517244022][/doublepost]
Between the M8 and M9 I've got the Vöigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 (absolutely BEAUTIFUL in every way) and the 7artisans 50mm f/1.1.
Doctor or lawyer? :D
[doublepost=1517244065][/doublepost]
Thanks guys...much appreciated and @oblomow - don't puke, please don't puke...I hate puke as much as MacRy hates spiders. :eek:

Nice shot but I think from this angle it would be perfect for a very long exposure and slightly wider b&w if it's possible for you.

~ Peter
It's the smell isn't it. Put me right off my dinner.

Reactions: akash.nu

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Between the M8 and M9 I've got the Vöigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 (absolutely BEAUTIFUL in every way) and the 7artisans 50mm f/1.1.

Another Nokton Classic 35mm fan :) I bloody love that lens! So small and well made and renders lovely. It has its detractors, but I also think it’s a beautiful little lens.

If you ever think of getting another 50 I can also highly recommend the Nokton 50mm 1.5 ASPH. It’s crazy sharp and has beautiful bokeh to rival the Summilux.

Reactions: pmxperience

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Hand held? Impressive.
It's not all that impressive! The iPhone takes a live photo, you hold it as still as you can. Then you view it, swipe up on it and a hidden menu of options appears, choose long exposure, and it will align and crop all the frames merging them together. It works really well for waterfalls and fountains, I thought I'd try it at the beach and see what it produced.

Being sick always reminds me of the inbetweeners. I suggest you don't watch it at work though!
I'll have to check it out, haven't seen it yet.

Reactions: mollyc

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Completely agree. I tried a black & white edit earlier but don’t know if it actually looks nice.

7304ce678f7c6554b60e0cd3c78fe68f.jpg
Very nice. Now the idea is to do it with a long exposure to smooth-out the sky (a bit of wind and cloud movement needed for that) so it's not so contrasty compared to your subject which is nicely done with lots of contrast. The resulting separation will make the ruins jump right off your screen.

For some reason I was just reminded of the best scene from the movie "Stand By Me." Sorry, Peter!
The vomit scene aside, one of my all time favourite movies Alex.

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
Well I missed posting here for a couple of days because we were out of town and I don't own a laptop to edit on the go. I am caught up on my P365 and didn't miss any days, but will only post one from yesterday since I can't post them all.

29/365 | Homeward Bound

FB_January_29_2018_003.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.