Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
A Chipmunk...

D5X_8246-XL.jpg

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
I really like pictures like this. I find them strangely compelling. There's a world out there...
[doublepost=1496997930][/doublepost]I kind of like this one but DoF is off, foreground too blurred oops... Its a rock at the top of Ben A'an

L1003488.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

The natural loss of focus in an image is not always detrimental.

In and out can form a flow that the eye follows without effort. It is like an internal or secret journey taking place in a fixed image.

A composition promoting this flow is not as easy to acquire as the accidental versions seem to offer. Just using a shallow DOF and firing away may produce many a subtle and engaging scenes BUT, as with 'spray and pray', shows little of the skill needed to replicate consistently a style which by default has a very subtle base.

Where did that lot come from?

Regards. Sharkey

Reactions: oblomow and kenoh

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
The natural loss of focus in an image is not always detrimental.

In and out can form a flow that the eye follows without effort. It is like an internal or secret journey taking place in a fixed image.

A composition promoting this flow is not as easy to acquire as the accidental versions seem to offer. Just using a shallow DOF and firing away may produce many a subtle and engaging scenes BUT, as with 'spray and pray', shows little of the skill needed to replicate consistently a style which by default has a very subtle base.

Where did that lot come from?

Regards. Sharkey

Thats sounds great! So I am going for "what he said!" :)

I was being deliberate in my composition in this one but the lichen marks at the front of the rock are a bit more blurred than I wanted. I was trying to capture the texture of the rock as I thought they were fascinating up there. Should I go back up to try again? maybe. Is that happening any time soon? ha! no!... :)

Thanks for comment.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Egyptian Blue Lotus -

DSC08868-XL.jpg

The highlights in the background vary quite a bit in shape. Am I right in thinking this is caused by the variance in shape of the water droplets themselves?

Was the flower head available with the green leaf background only or did restrictions apply?

Beautiful colours. It is odd, is it not that we as individuals jump from mono to colour at the drop of a hat using digital. The decision, once impossible became one to think long and hard about and now is just a click away. I mention this because as a very high contrast image some would say it is perfect for mono conversion.
Seems silly I know but but when I moved to colour film about a millennium ago the first darkroom I used professionally just could not understand why I wanted a mono contact sheet with the colour 6x4s they usually supplied. Contrast was the thing I needed to judge before instructing the lab on the results I wanted for my customers. It was so important in attaining a style and maintaining the same.

The contrast on this image is really 'deep'. Love it.

Regards. Sharkey

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
The highlights in the background vary quite a bit in shape. Am I right in thinking this is caused by the variance in shape of the water droplets themselves?

Was the flower head available with the green leaf background only or did restrictions apply?

Beautiful colours. It is odd, is it not that we as individuals jump from mono to colour at the drop of a hat using digital. The decision, once impossible became one to think long and hard about and now is just a click away. I mention this because as a very high contrast image some would say it is perfect for mono conversion.
Seems silly I know but but when I moved to colour film about a millennium ago the first darkroom I used professionally just could not understand why I wanted a mono contact sheet with the colour 6x4s they usually supplied. Contrast was the thing I needed to judge before instructing the lab on the results I wanted for my customers. It was so important in attaining a style and maintaining the same.

The contrast on this image is really 'deep'. Love it.

Regards. Sharkey

I would agree with your idea that those variations were caused by the water drops. This particular flower was in the midst of a pond, so a more desirable angle wasn't possible. I shot it from quite a distance (300mm lens) in full sun as well.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I am a total amateur compared to most all of you guys, but we finally got some nice weather in Central New York so I took my iPhone 7+ out and shot some portrait photos and a nice sunset photo. Let me know what you think please, I really want to get into photography with my iPhone 7+ (and future versions of iPhones) but I have A LOT to learn!!! Thank you in advance!
IMG_0301.JPG
IMG_0303.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG

:apple:
[doublepost=1497061671][/doublepost]
Three Sisters, Katoomba, Blue Mountains
by Zaphodtheprez

Absolutely stunning and beautiful! Nice shot!!!

Last edited:

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
I am a total amateur compared to most all of you guys, but we finally got some nice weather in Central New York so I took my iPhone 7+ out and shot some portrait photos and a nice sunset photo. Let me know what you think please, I really want to get into photography with my iPhone 7+ (and future versions of iPhones) but I have A LOT to learn!!! Thank you in advance!
View attachment 703240 View attachment 703241 View attachment 703242

[doublepost=1497061671][/doublepost]

Absolutely stunning and beautiful! Nice shot!!!

First things first, the title of the thread is "Photo of the Day". If you read it carefully you will see that "Photo" is singular. I like the flag shot, but I'm just an old traditionalist. Looking forward to your photo tomorrow. Cheers

Reactions: SRLMJ23

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
First things first, the title of the thread is "Photo of the Day". If you read it carefully you will see that "Photo" is singular. I like the flag shot, but I'm just an old traditionalist. Looking forward to your photo tomorrow. Cheers

I apologize about that, I will be sure to only post one photo from now on. Thank you for liking the flag shot, it is also my favorite!

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
I would agree with your idea that those variations were caused by the water drops. This particular flower was in the midst of a pond, so a more desirable angle wasn't possible. I shot it from quite a distance (300mm lens) in full sun as well.

Gotcha.

Peski flowers just will not grow where you want them - dammit!

Regards. Sharkey

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.