Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Painted Green

IMG39108_cropped2_resized.jpg

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
HANspree Superbike (USA round)

550605399_kTmb5-XL.jpg

Doylem, Steamie, timmyb, and Wheelhot:

Thanks for the kind words. The flower shot was a fun one to work on!
No mysteries here...the shot is a composite of two different shots of the same flower with different DOF.

I used a Nikkor 105 MM VR Micro (LOVE the bokeh on this lens!) at f/4.5 for 1/320 ISO 220 with a D3.

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
550605399_kTmb5-XL.jpg

No mysteries here...the shot is a composite of two different shots of the same flower with different DOF.

I used a Nikkor 105 MM VR Micro (LOVE the bokeh on this lens!) at f/4.5 for 1/320 ISO 220.

Your welcome, thanks for the info on your last shot.
This is awesome too, brilliant action capture ... the wee sparks are pretty neat :)

"A Long Story...."

This week I had planned on walking the "West Highland Way" (A 100 mile walk over some of Scotland's most beautiful scenery) with my father in law. Unfortunately my 70 year old father in law injured his leg 14 miles into the trip, I think mainly due to the weight of the packs we were carrying. So our expedition was cancelled. On returning home my Brother called and asked if I could do a favour for him... his friend who has a pole dancing school was putting on a display with her students and could I come and get some shots :D .
5 hours shooting in pretty poor lighting conditions, 885 shots and some of them turned out quite nice ;)

3561956001_4661027638_b.jpg

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Originally Posted by Maxxamillian

I used a Nikkor 105 MM VR Micro (LOVE the bokeh on this lens!) at f/4.5 for 1/320 ISO 220.

Wow, you recent shots has been nothing but astonishing, you seem to really use your D3 to its limit eh ;) (hmm, sorry if I got your camera wrong but if I recall somewhere, you are own a D3 rite?)

Hmm, about the flower shot, 2 different shot of the same flower? meaning you take 2 photos and merge it? and each of the photo is taken at f/4.5, 1/320 and ISO 220?

The motion blur and the spark in the photo really bring it to life, I can almost feel the heat :cool:, not like my country is not hot enough right now

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast

I love the overall effect of this image. Great tones, texture... it stands out to me, has an old school b/w art photography look about it. Nice!

Great contrast between the sharpness of the bikes/riders, and the softness and motion blur of the sky and background. Nice light and color. Is there any way to crop the right side to give the lead rider a tad more room between him and the photo's edge? That would be the only thing to improve it in my eyes, if it's actually possible. I do like the more panoramic crop. And of course, yes... that double-layer flower shot was memorable and just plain gorgeous. I'm just gonna sit back and see what you come up with next... ;)

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
on top of the rock

empirestate_med.jpg

Camera Model: NIKON D90
Date/Time: 2008:12:28 17:08:21
Resolution: 750 x 493
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 50.0mm
Exposure Time: 0.040 s (1/25)
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO Equiv.: 400
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure: Manual

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Wow, you recent shots has been nothing but astonishing, you seem to really use your D3 to its limit eh ;) (hmm, sorry if I got your camera wrong but if I recall somewhere, you are own a D3 rite?)

Hmm, about the flower shot, 2 different shot of the same flower? meaning you take 2 photos and merge it? and each of the photo is taken at f/4.5, 1/320 and ISO 220?

The motion blur and the spark in the photo really bring it to life, I can almost feel the heat :cool:, not like my country is not hot enough right now

wheelhot,

Yes, it is a D3...thanks for the heads up--I've edited the original post.

As for the flower...no changes in the EXIF information on both shots. The only change was with the DOF. Out of curiosity--where is home? .

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill

I'm a bit biased towards pictures that have autos and bikes, especially racing. Something about the sense of speed, the colors, and being on the edge. Oh yes, I really enjoyed some of the bicycle racing shots on this thread too. Anyway, absolutely over the top on this one. "thumbs up" "pat on the back":D Cheers

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
spitfirejdm, you really captured the moment ;) What lens were you using? I'm guessing 600 or 800?

wheelhot,

Yes, it is a D3...thanks for the heads up--I've edited the original post.

As for the flower...no changes in the EXIF information on both shots. The only change was with the DOF. Out of curiosity--where is home? .
No prob :thumbsup:

Your recent shots inspired me to try something different with my camera, especially with the bikes and flowers, I shot lots of flowers and after awhile, I start thinking, "Now, how do I make the flowers look interesting, I took photos of it from almost every angle, different lighting, what next?" Your recent flower photo just inspired me to try something different. And the bikes, well I am shooting basketball recently but would love to try something like dat cause now I feel my basketball photos are the same and would like to improve more.

Anyway, where is my home? It's not in the US actually, I live in a small island called Penang, located in Malaysia. The country with diverse cultures, gotta love the weddings here (would love to shoot some in the future), we got 3 major races, malay (usually its yellow or green and very traditional like clothings), chinese (red all over, clothings depends - cud be traditional chinese or modern; american like ), indian (lotz lotz of colors and traditional clothing).

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Thanks, Wheelhot and srf4real. The F-22 was shot with a 40D + 300 f/4L IS. It's not cropped either.
Wowzers, 300mm and managed to get that shot without cropping! Cool, the Raptor must be flying quite low? Was it doing some show or something?

sangosimo

Sep 11, 2008
3578357946_705c12854a_b.jpg

still trying to coax cool pictures out of this 18-55 no is kit. I need to find a good deal on a 35mm f2

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
I love the overall effect of this image. Great tones, texture... it stands out to me, has an old school b/w art photography look about it. Nice!

Thanks pdxflint. That's just the kind of effect I was going for...simulating an old duotone print.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.