Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
Sunset On Tongass Narrows

Sunset tonight
50mm 1.4F Nikon on D80
f5.6 1/400, ISO 400

Attachments

• 20090901_Sunset_0018.jpg
    20090901_Sunset_0018.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 199

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

A thumbs-up from me too: a very calming and traditional image... like a sigh of contentment. If we're looking for film references, maybe The Sound of Music (even though I've never seen the film)?

Very effective too, in conveying a mood. Someone said the pic looks very "religious". Well, it doesn't reflect any of my religious feelings; to me it says 'Hammer horror'...

Jacob's Ladder, at the start of the Pennine Way, Derbyshire...

ladder.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
more nikkor 50mm f/1.8 - Newport, Oregon

I've been contrasting this mild telephoto (75mm equivalent) Nikkor 50mm with a recently aquired Tokina 12-24 f/4. So, I spent about an hour a couple of days ago down around one of the local fishing docks in Newport shooting with both lenses. They seem to compliment each other well... so I'll post some of the wide-angle shots in the days to come, but for now, here's one with the nifty-fifty...

DSC_7974.jpg

Camera: NIKON
Model: D50
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/800 sec
Aperture: 9.0
Focal Length: 50mm

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
If we're looking for film references, maybe The Sound of Music (even though I've never seen the film)?

Are you asking if you've ever seen the film... well, there was that question mark, and all... ;) Actually, I haven't seen the film either :)cool: <nudge, nudge...>) but I think you're right. Phrasiklea's shot could have come right from Sound of Music. I can just see Julie Andrews trilling as she dances across that field...

Jacob's Ladder, at the start of the Pennine Way, Derbyshire...

ladder.jpg

Nice shot... but what's the dog up to?? <jk>:D

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Are you asking if you've ever seen the film... well, there was that question mark, and all... ;) Actually, I haven't seen the film either :)cool: <nudge, nudge...>) but I think you're right. Phrasiklea's shot could have come right from Sound of Music. I can just see Julie Andrews trilling as she dances across that field...

The question mark was outside the brackets; for a small fee I will be happy to give you a brief refresher course about the rules of grammar... ;):D

I thought I was the only person in the known universe who'd never seen The Sound of Music (or Star Wars...). But the image of Jule Andrews prancing around a field is burned into my eyeballs.

Nice shot... but what's the dog up to?? <jk>:D

Not what you're thinking... ;)

Lovely light on your pic of the boats in the dock, though I'd maybe prefer more sky and less foreground water (ie the reflections of the masts aren't 'solid' enough to be a part of the composition... if that makes any sense...).

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Wow! dllavaneras and phrasiklea, two amazing scenic shots! I think Legends of the Fall was filmed mostly in Montana, BTW. I must say, though, Slovenia is just a beautiful place as is Venezuela.

A thumbs-up from me too: a very calming and traditional image... like a sigh of contentment. If we're looking for film references, maybe The Sound of Music (even though I've never seen the film)?

Thanks for the comments. The Sound of Music might be a closer comparison, since that movie was shot just north of here, in Bavaria. And yes, I think a number of my recent shots are rather "traditional" in flavor, as you say, Doylem. Seems to be my mood lately...something in the air around here...;)

Another Alpine view, taken yesterday:

StozicWithJamChurch1.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Thanks for the comments. The Sound of Music might be a closer comparison, since that movie was shot just north of here, in Bavaria. And yes, I think a number of my recent shots are rather "traditional" in flavor, as you say, Doylem. Seems to be my mood lately...something in the air around here...;)

Another Alpine view, taken yesterday:

StozicWithJamChurch1.jpg
Another lovely Slovenian landscape. I like the telephoto compression you got with that 100mm lens, and the tonal difference in the closer area compared to the mountain background which gives nice separation and depth.

BTW, Is that an airplane in the lower right part of the picture banking behind the hill...?

Doylem, thanks for the feedback on the boats... it's always good to catch a suggestion from you, and the grammar lesson for f(r)ee. But, how do you know what I was thinking about that dog? ;) Maybe it wasn't what you were thinking.. :D

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
But, how do you know what I was thinking about that dog? ;) Maybe it wasn't what you were thinking.. :D

Too late now. I'll never be able to look at the pic again. The expression on the dog's face I naturally took as admiration of the photographer's skills; now I see the expression as 'dog having a crap'... :(

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Another lovely Slovenian landscape. I like the telephoto compression you got with that 100mm lens, and the tonal difference in the closer area compared to the mountain background which gives nice separation and depth.

BTW, Is that an airplane in the lower right part of the picture banking behind the hill...?

Thanks, pdxflint. :) Yes, it's an airplane, but a remote-controlled one, operated by a kid standing in the foreground shadow. Looked like he was having a great time with it.

Too late now. I'll never be able to look at the pic again. The expression on the dog's face I naturally took as admiration of the photographer's skills; now I see the expression as 'dog having a crap'... :(

Ah, so that's what pdxflint was on about (he is an expert on dogs, you know). Now I see it too! :D

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah

Very effective too, in conveying a mood. Someone said the pic looks very "religious". Well, it doesn't reflect any of my religious feelings; to me it says 'Hammer horror'...

You just made my morning (in a laugh out loud kind of way)! I should throw in a lightning bolt or two for added effect :D

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
I've been contrasting this mild telephoto (75mm equivalent) Nikkor 50mm with a recently aquired Tokina 12-24 f/4. So, I spent about an hour a couple of days ago down around one of the local fishing docks in Newport shooting with both lenses. They seem to compliment each other well... so I'll post some of the wide-angle shots in the days to come, but for now, here's one with the nifty-fifty...

DSC_7974.jpg

Exposure: 1/800 sec
Aperture: 9.0
Focal Length: 50mm

Love, love, love this shot!

Syonidism

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Turkey
IMG_7448.JPG

I took this upside down also my current wallpaper.

The location is Turkey / Kaş its pronounced like Kash means eyebrow in turkish :) cus thats what it looks like.

duh.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Got to play tourist today , took this from the Staten Island Ferry

Attachments

• IMG_0984_1c.jpg
    IMG_0984_1c.jpg
    829.2 KB · Views: 158

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV

Click for larger...

Zion National Park has to be one of my favorites. It's incredibly diverse as a park with lots of great hiking, amazing views, and perfect places to relax.

The hikes however are one of the main reasons it is my favorites. From Angels Landing, to Hidden Canyon to hiking the Narrows, you are spoiled for choices. This photo was taken after a great hike through Hidden Canyon and we were walking back towards the park entrance when you come to a bridge near the cross roads for the famous tunnel. After a short walk you get a great view up the Virgin River.

One of the most fascinating facts about Zion at the other amazing parks in the "Grand Staircase" area is that the top layer of rock in the grand canyon is the same as the bottom layer in Zion. The top layer of rock in Zion is the same as the bottom layer of Rock in Bryce Canyon...

This was shot with my Canon 5D mark II, Tokina 12-24mm F/4 (17mm is as wide as it will go on a full frame) and a 0.9 Graduated ND filter. It was edited in Lightroom 2 just to change the white balance from the RAW image

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

I think this was the most comfortable sunrise I have ever witnessed. This was the view from the back of our camper so I set my tripod up, and sat in bed and shot away!

I really liked the purple in the sky on this particular morning after the stars were no longer visible. This purple haze only lasted 2 or 3 minutes before the colors of sun over powered it. Glad I caught it when I did. It was taken about 10 minutes after this shot which is one of my favs from the whole trip!

I had to do some mild photoshopping to remove a car that decided to park right in front of my tripod.

Truly an awesome and well timed shot with wonderful colors. This reminds me of a trip through New Mexico at sunset. Where is the locale?

Dale

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Down to the docks...

Another shot from a few days ago down at the northside fishing docks in Newport, OR. I was getting familiar with two new lenses, the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and the Tokina 12-24 f/4. This was shot with the Tokina at 12mm. One good thing about this DX lens is that it is usable with FX format cameras from 17mm to 24mm, making it a good wide-angle lens for both DX and FX.

DSC_8022.jpg

Exposure: 1/500 sec
Aperture: 8.0
Focal Length: 12mm

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast

Zion National Park has to be one of my favorites. It's incredibly diverse as a park with lots of great hiking, amazing views, and perfect places to relax.

The hikes however are one of the main reasons it is my favorites. From Angels Landing, to Hidden Canyon to hiking the Narrows, you are spoiled for choices. This photo was taken after a great hike through Hidden Canyon and we were walking back towards the park entrance when you come to a bridge near the cross roads for the famous tunnel. After a short walk you get a great view up the Virgin River.

One of the most fascinating facts about Zion at the other amazing parks in the "Grand Staircase" area is that the top layer of rock in the grand canyon is the same as the bottom layer in Zion. The top layer of rock in Zion is the same as the bottom layer of Rock in Bryce Canyon...

This was shot with my Canon 5D mark II, Tokina 12-24mm F/4 (17mm is as wide as it will go on a full frame) and a 0.9 Graduated ND filter. It was edited in Lightroom 2 just to change the white balance from the RAW image
Love this image, and love the SW Canyonlands. Gorgeous capture. Nice to see the Tokina 12-24 work so well on full-frame...

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Taken at The Cloisters ,NYC . Was able to get there just at opening so I had 45 minutes or so with almost no one else in the museum . 5D mk2 , 24-105

Attachments

• IMG_0738_1.jpg
    IMG_0738_1.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 147
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.