Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
ugc3vs

Canon 5D
Focal Length:105 mm
Exposure: 1/20 F11 ISO 200
Lens: 24-105L

Another very nice shot!

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Bulb!

3886209082_29bb9074f0.jpg

Another shot from my wannabe 16mm collection I shot in my friend's dorm room yesterday.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Trying it from an artist's perspective (hope this helps)

As things fade into the distance, they become less detailed and even blur together if far enough away from the viewer. This is perspective, and makes all the difference between a square, with a triangle on top with a window, door, and stick-figure family (all smiling of course); and an intricately sketched capitol building replete with gorgeous and believable detail.

What happened in this picture was that you skewed perspective by making the background a uniform blur. Once this is done, the car looks much more 2-D than it would otherwise if you had let the lens handle the Depth of Field.

Try this...take the same picture with your lens wide open. Depending on the lens you are shooting with, there is an excellent chance that the blur will be taken care of for you.

Hope it helps....mcavjame is an amazing photographer and this, I believe is what he/she is trying to say...

Love the experimentation...playing in the sandbox is the only way to learn IMO.

Ok, i understand what you are saying now, but i guess i have to wait until i develop a better eye, because i still dont see the car as 2D.

I retried the shot, but still cant get the lens to do the appropriate blur, or any for that matter. I set it to wide open, but still cant get it. Is it because im shooting in mode 'P' and not 'M'? I assume the lens is capable, its the kit lens that came with my XTi. Also, i just learned that even in 'P' mode i can(have to) set the shutter speed. This i did not know. I thought would help me get some kind of blur going, but to no avail.

I agree mcavjame is a great photographer. I assure you his words did not fall on deaf ears. I have been slowly leaning, and teaching myself all that i can. I will have a little help now as im in Photography 101 here at the local university, but i could only get into the online course, and still have to figure out a lot on my own.

Maxx I really appreciate all the help you have given me, as well as the others here. I realized that i have basically using my DSLR as a point an shoot, and that bothers me. I want to be the one making the decisions, and know how to make them well, not the camera.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Ahhhh WaWa, how i miss you!! Philly Zoo? I like all the pics and seeing how everyone's creative inspiration differs

Nope, actually this was taken at the National Zoo, Washington, DC..... I was surprised, too, to see the WaWa crates, as we don't have the stores here in my immediate area; they are around the Baltimore area, though, as well as Pennsylvania, of course.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
How did I do this?

Complete with sensor dust

Attachments

• Small lamp, big lamp  011.jpg
    Small lamp, big lamp 011.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 106
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.