Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
I didnt know flash was that powerful. Its cool but totally not what I was expecting. This is lightroom express, it has absolutely nothing to do with photoshop. I thought it would let you make stuff from scratch rather than just edit photos.

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
I'm sorry but people don't want to edit photos on a small low resolution phone screen.

Thanks for attempting to speak for the entire human race! I for one would like to take a picture of someone and make adjustments before setting it as a contact photo. Albeit, I wouldn't be doing professional photography, but there is a reasonable level of functionality to provide on the iPhone.

avigalante

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2007
New York City
uhhh... yeah but there is a camera on my iPhone and I would love to edit on the fly without having to drag around another laptop! :(

So with the zoom function, you really don't need to care about low resolution if you can make the picture larger.

You can't be serious.

This will kill the iPhone battery. Leave the iPhone for what it was meant to be: a phone + iPod + some smartphone capabilities.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
make sure you check section 8a of the terms of use at http://www.photoshop.com/express/terms.html which grants them perpetual rights to use anything you upload to the public areas in any way they want, including for profit. Nice way to build themselves a stock photo library.

Good pick-up, sgibson.

I think this is a narrow minded view. We're going to be more internet connected over time. Web applications are the future. What's nice is that you don't have to have Photoshop or anything installed. You just need a browser with Flash support.

"computers, no good. if the electricity goes out. you'll get no work done. books/candles are the way to go."

arn

Great point. Narrow minded indeed.

network23

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2002
Illinois
:( it can't add text to images. Oh well won't be replacing full photoshop for me anytime soon but it's still pretty neat.

Check out http://www.picnik.com

It's similar to Photoshop Express and allows you to add text. I'm gonna have to spend my time with each before I pick one. They both are incredibly slick, and I love Picnik's sense of humor.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
It feels kind of like a light Lightroom -- all global adjustments, but not as detailed and limited to what's on the server. I can see the potential value, but with Picasa being free and Lightroom coming in at $299, any subscription pricing needs to be mindful of comparative value.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Adobe is not going to sell your images, they arent that stupid. The most they might do is use examples from members that are showing their work.

sgibson

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
Adobe is not going to sell your images, they arent that stupid. The most they might do is use examples of what people are doing with the software on the website.

As posted, it explicitly gives them the rights to derive revenue from the images. The problem is, most people won't read the terms and will upload stuff to the gallery without realizing they're essentially giving away the rights to their work. It's unlikely a professional photographer will get stung by this but it is a dangerous precedent.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
... Which essentially grants Adobe full rights to all your posted work.
I got the impression that this only affects photos you post to public places, not to everything you manipulate.

I suspect this is a CYA thing. Since their service is flash based, and subject to change without notice, they don't want someone claiming that some part of the public-site-viewing module is violating copyright. And they don't want someone removing an image and later complaining that a copy is still on Adobe's server somewhere (perhaps because the caches haven't expired, or because they're in a backup database.)

They're probably also concerned that someone will see their image on a page with a banner ad and demand a cut of the ad revenue.

But yeah, its very over-reaching language.

On the other hand, I don't think I'd use the service anyway. I own a copy of Photoshop Elements, and I'd rather just use it when editing my images. I'm more than capable of storing, organizing, and publishing stuff to my own web site.

shyfidelity

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
I'm a bit less excited about this. It's pretty crippled and most of the tools are of the "just for fun" variety.

When they let you resize images I'll use it.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
I think this is a narrow minded view. We're going to be more internet connected over time. Web applications are the future. What's nice is that you don't have to have Photoshop or anything installed. You just need a browser with Flash support.

"computers, no good. if the electricity goes out. you'll get no work done. books/candles are the way to go."

arn

Nice :)

Not to mention with Adobe AIR, they could deploy this app to your desktop and you can use while you are not connected to the internetz...

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
As posted, it explicitly gives them the rights to derive revenue from the images. The problem is, most people won't read the terms and will upload stuff to the gallery without realizing they're essentially giving away the rights to their work. It's unlikely a professional photographer will get stung by this but it is a dangerous precedent.

If they charge money for the service then Im sure a crafty lawyer could sue them for using somebodys images "for profit". Its just a catch all clause to cover their ass. It would be insanely irresponsible if Adobe sells peoples images as stock photos, theyd do irreparable damage to their brand since they sell software aimed at creative professionals. It simply wont happen, it would take a seriously shady company to do something like that.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
Wow. Pretty darn cool! I'm not a huge fan of web apps, primarily because there's no UI consistency between them, but I have to give Adobe credit for delivering a pretty impressive product.

Yacomo

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2006
Zug, Switzerland
I suspect this is a CYA thing.
One would be tended to suspect so.

The big issue for me is:
irrevocable, and fully sublicensable

These two terms are not necessary, not even in the worst CYA scenario. Yet, for some unknown reason, Adobes lawyers decided to put them there.

This has tricky consequences. For instance if a client sees an image of yours and wants to acquire exclusive usage rights from you. If you had that image in this service at one time or another you will legally not be able to grant your client the requested exclusive rights because you already granted a license to Adobe...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Horrible idea.
Web applications = not accessible if no internet access and slow. Severs go? Bye-bye.

What's good about web based services is that I don't need to cary my computer around. I can sit down in front of any random computer, log in and all my documents and photos are right there. I use the Google on-line office suit for a few things that I want to be able to access from anywhere or if I want someone else to look at and mark up a document. I don't have to worry if they have the same software as I do because we are both using the same Google spreadsheet.

It's not perfect yet because for most people the Internet is still slow but some day the connection to a remote server will be as fast as to your external disk drive.

I've used system where your whole desktop and all your files follow your login to any computer in the building. It works well when the building is writed for gigabit ethernet. Some day this will be possible over the Internet

pyramid6

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
Doesn't this also make us liable for damages if we don't get a model release? If they take a picture I took and sell it to coke and coke puts it in an ad, then the person in the picture can sue me. That's my understanding. I'm going to pass and suggest everyone do the same until it is cleared up by Adobe's lawyers.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
with respect to Your Content that you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Services, you grant Adobe a worldwide, royalty-free, nonexclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sublicensable license to use, distribute, derive revenue or other remuneration from, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform and publicly display such Content (in whole or in part) and to incorporate such Content into other Materials or works in any format or medium now known or later developed.

Yeah, let me sign right up. :rolleyes:

mcoyne

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2005
Durham, NC
Crappy first effort

Out now...

https://www.photoshop.com/express/

simple image editing
2GB of free online storage
flash galleries

I've just signed up so haven't had much time to play with it yet

It's a piece of garbage. I get nothing but a blank gray screen with "Flash Player Installation" in the title bar. I presume it is trying to tell me to upgrade my version of flash, but doesn't seem to degrade very gracefully. Not to mention I have no interest in installing Flash 9. Last time I installed it it started taking over functionality in all of my browsers which put a serious crimp in my productivity.

irun5k

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2005
In my opinion, there is a larger issue here than what appears in the TOS. The issue also relates to Picasa, Flickr, Kodak Gallery, or whatever the gallery of the week is.

The way most people treat digital photos, it is no better than the old days of having hard copies of photos floating around unorganized in shoe boxes.

I don't want some 3rd party "owning" my stuff. Even if they don't legally own it, they actually do in practice. What happens if you spend years building your web galleries on Flickr and they decided to go out of business, sell out, start charging, etc. You've spent hundreds of hours organizing your collection, adding comments, etc. And now you have nothing.

Plus, I know many peeps who take as many digital photos as I do but they couldn't show me a comprehensive collection of there digital photos if they tried. Some got uploaded to Shutterfly, some to this place, some to that place. Some online services won't even let you get at the original, full sized image you originally uploaded (presumably sometimes they don't save it and other times have reasons for not wanting to let you see it again.)

Personally, I take a two staged approach. The first stage is batch renaming all my photos based on the Exif data, losslessly rotating the ones that need it (also in batch) and organzing them on the file system into a directory structure based on year and then event. This all gets backed up via time machine and once a year I cut a set of DVDs and give it to a family member to keep in a safe place.

Second, I add the photos to albums organized by year inside of a shareware image publishing package that I developed. I have all the HTML content locally and it also gets published to my web site. But ultimately I own everything. One could use iPhoto here also, since even if iPhoto goes bust some day at least you have the content locally and could parse the XML files if you needed to get the user content into a different format.

Maybe I'm anal, but I'm sure my kids, their kids, and so forth will appreciate having the memories stored in a usable way. If the JPEG format ever looks to be going south, I can will run a batch job against all my photos and convert them into whatever the great new format is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.