Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which would you pick at these price points? MBA 13 or MBr?

• Macbook Air 13 for $727

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Macbook Retina for $860

Votes: 106 85.5%

• Total voters

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
I was in a similar situation to you but i was deciding between the rMB and a mid 2014 MBP, the MBP is now boxed up ready for sale.

When i was deciding which one to keep i put the MBP away for 2 days and just used the rMB, after 2 days when i went back to the MBP and the 13.3" screen seemed too big, thats when i realised a 12" screen was the sweet spot for me.

91.7% are saying rMB.

At least having both of them in front of you you should end up making the right decision like i did.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I never brought anything up regarding a "$3 a month decision". I only bring up price points because to some (me included) $1299 isn't worth it for the MBr. I would never pay that amount for it. But lower the cost of entry and maybe it's more worthwhile. At full price $999 vs $1299 the MBA is hands down the better buy... but I'm having a hard time deciding on whether I want the better "deal" or the better computer or which one even is the better computer.

MBA looks to me to be the better "computer" but MBr is the better technological advancement with is sleek build, size and premium screen and speakers. But MBA does so much more and the keyboard isn't weird. This is why I'm asking what others would do in my situation.

To reiterate I actually have both of these laptops right now. I'm testing them both out even on this thread.

If you don't travel extensively and aren't the "look at my Rolex" type, choose the Air and you'll wind up with a superior performer at a lower price.

BJ

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
If you don't travel extensively and aren't the "look at my Rolex" type, choose the Air and you'll wind up with a superior performer at a lower price.

BJ
Definitely don't travel much... this would be a take to the library or take to the coffee shop to write one when I'm not at home.

flimpy

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2015
I was able to pick up both of these computers this week and I want to pick one of them as my on the go "writing" computer. I have a Mac Pro at home as my work horse for video editing and any graphical/photo work.

Both of the Macbooks I got are the base models; MBA 13; 1.6ghz, 128gb SSD, 4gb RAM & MBr 1.1ghz, 256gb SSD, 8gb RAM.

I would not keep any of these. MBr IMHO is a step back. Yes, the screen is better, but the keyboard change is questionable, and the switch to USB-c is just idiotic. It was like spitting in Steve's face and telling him that his idea of mag-safe connector was sh*t. I like mag safe a lot and it did save couple of my MBA's from being ruined.

Having said that, I can't recommend MBA of the configuration listed above due to the ridiculously low amount of RAM. You have to have 8GB at least, not even to make it future proof, but just so it would be comfortable to work on.

So my advice is to dump both of the laptops you got and get a MBA with 8GB of ram.

Last edited:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I would not keep any of these. MBr IMHO is a step back. Yes, the screen is better, but the keyboard change is questionable, and the switch to USB-c is just idiotic. It was like spitting in Steve's face and telling him that his idea of mag-safe connector was sh*t. I like mag safe a lot and it did save couple of my MBA's from being ruined.

Having said that, I can't recommend MBA of the configuration listed above due to the ridiculously low amount of RAM. You have to have 8GB at least, not even to make it future proof, but just so it would be comfortable to work on.

So my advice is to dump both of the laptops you got and get a MBA with 8GB of ram.

This is my secondary computer. I don't even need 8gb of RAM to write. I have a Mac Pro with 16gb RAM for any heavy lifting. Also don't want to spend more than I need to if I don't have to. And I definitely don't need to BTO a MBA.

mtpandolfi

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
You mean the MBr/Macbook 12 Retina right? You wrote rMBP which is the higher end model. I mean I can get used to the keyboard but I don't know if I'll ever actually "LIKE" it.

How is the battery life on yours? I'm getting 6-7 hours at best. Also my battery health is already down to 97% and even if this computer was used for a full 15 days before it was returned this seems a bit much on battery health depletion. The MBA is still at 104% health.

I did mean the rMB. And as far as the batter goes, I haven't drained it yet but I'm getting between seven and eight hours of use. That's running PowerPoint, Excel, streaming ESPN, and having eight to 10 Chrome tabs open.

iluvgadgets

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2015
Sounds like you are happier with the MBA. You should go with your instinct, and keep that one. It is a tough decision, but if the screen isn't a big deal,go with the air. My daughter said the same thing, she didn't like the Mbr keyboard. She has the air and is pretty happy with it. Good luck with your decision.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
...the switch to USB-c is just idiotic. It was like spitting in Steve's face and telling him that his idea of mag-safe connector was sh*t.

The Mag-Safe gimmick never sold a single MacBook, it's missed by no one.

USB-C is the key to the entire RMB design. By embracing the new protocol Apple was able to make an incredibly thin and elegant notebook geared towards those who haven't used an SD card in 5 years, use Dropbox for file transfer, use Bluetooth for peripherals, and simply don't need to drag around the weight and thickness these old legacy ports 24/7. By outboarding these connectors to a slim and light adapter we can take them with us situationally, not all the time. USB-C is the best thing about the RMB; it doesn't exist without it.

BJ

flimpy

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2015
The Mag-Safe gimmick never sold a single MacBook

Maybe so, but USB-C will "unsell" at least one RMB - mine. I will never buy another laptop from Apple without Mag-Safe.

USB-C is the key to the entire RMB design. By embracing the new protocol Apple was able to make an incredibly thin and elegant notebook geared towards those who haven't used an SD card in 5 years, use Dropbox for file transfer, use Bluetooth for peripherals, and simply don't need to drag around the weight and thickness these old legacy ports 24/7. By outboarding these connectors to a slim and light adapter we can take them with us situationally, not all the time. USB-C is the best thing about the RMB; it doesn't exist without it.

BJ

Not so convinced. How thin do you want to go? Paper thin? Probably not. 0.68" thickness of MBA 11" is thin enough for me. I do not need another 0.17", especially at a price of the mag-safe connector. I like that new RMB has a better screen and does not have a fan, really do not care much about slower CPU, but absence of mag-safe is a show stopper to me.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Sounds like you are happier with the MBA. You should go with your instinct, and keep that one. It is a tough decision, but if the screen isn't a big deal,go with the air. My daughter said the same thing, she didn't like the Mbr keyboard. She has the air and is pretty happy with it. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks! I still might keep the MBr. It handles everything I need it to and it is a very nice product. Much nicer fit and finish over the MBA. I have another thread about how my MBA's trackpad makes a click when I press down on the palm rests too hard... that was the reason I looked into the MBr when I saw it one sale.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
The sharpness of Retina actually isn't that big of a deal to me... the actual 1.3 inches on the MBA though feel less constrained than on the MBr. I noticed as I type on the MBr I feel a little restricted. The MBA being so much bigger gives me more room to "breathe".

Thanks for your opinion!

It's not only the resolution, it's the IPS, colors, viewing angles, etc. The Air looks like absolute crap compared to the MacBook.

Reactions: boltjames

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Maybe so, but USB-C will "unsell" at least one RMB - mine. I will never buy another laptop from Apple without Mag-Safe.

Mag Safe never made any sense to me. I'm either charging my notebook overnight or it's stationary on a desk plugged in. What is Mag Safe for then? For people who plug their notebooks into a power source and move around? Do people move a foot to the left and a foot to the right and have all these complications? I've been using notebooks since what, 1994, and I can't think of a single instance where a tear-away power supply would have saved me from expense or inconvenience.

Not so convinced. How thin do you want to go? Paper thin? Probably not. 0.68" thickness of MBA 11" is thin enough for me. I do not need another 0.17", especially at a price of the mag-safe connector. I like that new RMB has a better screen and does not have a fan, really do not care much about slower CPU, but absence of mag-safe is a show stopper to me.

And as it stands, the RMB's USB-C port is very small, if you are the type that is always tossing your notebook about while tethered to an outlet I am sure it would pull out quite easily and without damage.

Again, please educate me on how one goes about daily/weekly usage where the power cord is at great risk to life and limb. I've never understood this.

BJ

Reactions: Ghost31

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I don't know how anyone could look at both side by side and pick the Air. Take the MacBook.

Well the fact that I can use my MBr for somewhere like an hour and be down to 85% while I'm only at 95% on the MBA in the same time is a good reason. The screen's PPI isn't that big of a deal for me for writing. Text is more crisp, better colors and black levels... yes, yes I know. And as I said... those are merely superficial reasons, just like the sleek design and lines of the MBr. But typing on the new keyboard is still weird for me after 2 days and I actually enjoy the larger 13.3 inch screen of the MBr.
The MBA is a better all around COMPUTER in every way, just not the most high tech fancy gadget.

Thank you for your opinion!

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
For me MagSafe is the only thing missing from the rMB. I sofa surf a lot so leave mine plugged in a lot to save on battery cycles, keeps resale value better that way. So having MagSafe would be very handy in case someone catches the lead.

Apple should replace the headphone jack with a mini MagSafe port.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
The Mag-Safe gimmick never sold a single MacBook, it's missed by no one.

BJ

Wha? Where do you get this assumption from? I thought MagSafe was one of the best things in total about Macs. If you don't understand it, then you must live alone and rarely have company, or lock away your Mac. I don't have kids or pets and still have had several instances where someone accidentally snagged the power cord and would have caused major damage to my laptop if not for MagSafe pulling away the plug harmlessly.

I personally couldn't care less about USB ports I never use anymore, but losing MagSafe IMO was the one worst drawback to the new design.

flimpy

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2015
I don't know how anyone could look at both side by side and pick the Air. Take the MacBook.

One who likes mag-safe can do that, but 4GB of RAM is awful. I had to downgrade my 4GB MBA from El Capitan back to Yosemite because it runs horribly on 4GB (scroll in Safari or Chrome was like a slideshow).

Mag Safe never made any sense to me. I'm either charging my notebook overnight or it's stationary on a desk plugged in. What is Mag Safe for then?

I can't describe the exact situation, as it does not happen too often with me, I just remember several occasions when I thought "wow, my MBA would have being on the floor now if it wasn't for mag-safe". I have two chargers installed permanently, one near the sofa, another one near the bed (this is where I typically use my MBA), but I also used it for work in industrial type of environment (where mess looks like an order). Can't remember exactly how and where I tripped the power cable a few times, but I am certain I would have lost at least one MBA if it wasn't for mag-safe.

And as it stands, the RMB's USB-C port is very small, if you are the type that is always tossing your notebook about while tethered to an outlet I am sure it would pull out quite easily and without damage.
BJ

I like the USB-3 idea - cable that connects it all. But I can't see how this change make sense if USB-C is the only connector in MBr. It means:
- I will not be able to connect any of the USB devices to MBr without using some sort of adapter (so this change means more cables, not less)
- I will not be able to use MBr with external display for more time than the remaining charge allows

It is like Apple is saying: hey guys, we have this awesome new connector for you, for which you do not have any peripherals for and also you would not be able to charge your laptop while using this connector.. oh, and by the way, forget everything you liked about mag-safe, because you are not getting it.

This is just stupid.

Last edited:

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
I like the USB-3 idea - cable that connects it all. But I can't see how this change make sense if USB-C is the only connector in MBr. It means:
- I will not be able to connect any of the USB devices to MBr without using some sort of adapter (so this change means more cables, not less)
- I will not be able to use MBr with external display for more time than the remaining charge allows

It is like Apple is saying: hey guys, we have this awesome new connection for you, for which you do not have any peripherals for and also you would not be able to charge your laptop while using this connector.. oh, and by the way, forget everything you liked about mag-safe, because you are not getting it.

This is just stupid.

Yeah, I would like to see one additional USB C port. I have the digital a/v multiport adapter that works pretty well. That gives me a USB, HDMI, and a charging port. It's still only one cable connection to the Macbook.

As far as which one I would choose. I would go with the rMB. I'm pretty mobile so I'm looking at the built-in display 100% of the time. The display on the Air is terrible and the resolution is too low for me. I have the 1.2/512MB and it works great with no performance issues for my usage.

Last edited:

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
One who likes mag-safe can do that, but 4GB of RAM is awful. I had to downgrade my 4GB MBA from El Capitan back to Yosemite because it runs horribly on 4GB (scroll in Safari or Chrome was like a slideshow).

Really? My 2011 11" Air with 2GB RAM runs 10.11 like a champ.

To the OP, I cast my vote for the Air. It sounds like it would serve your needs a bit better overall.

Reactions: MrXiro

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
I wish I could get any version of the rMB for such a low price here in the EU. I would buy it immediately without thinking about it.

I really hate my 13" Air and never use it. It's so ugly and a waste of screen space with its huge silver-gray bezels and the low screen resolution.

So I keep using my heavy and overpowered 17" MBP for mostly just doing things like browsing, when I am not sitting at my desk with the new iMac.
On a 17" (1920x1200) screen I don't really miss Retina and the option to scale up the resolution, but on 11-13" it would be awful since I have to do more scrolling than reading even with only having one Safari window open.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

How many browser tabs do you have open? I currently have 8 open in chrome on my base MBA 13 inch 2015 and I have zero issues on El Capitan. The only thing that bothers me about my MBA is the weird clicking I hear from the trackpad when I press down too hard on the Palm rest. It sounds like it's catching the corner.

For use with a bunch of apps open I've had zero issues on the MBA. Maybe it's just your MBA? Is it an older model?

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I wish I could get any version of the rMB for such a low price here in the EU. I would buy it immediately without thinking about it.

I really hate my 13" Air and never use it. It's so ugly and a waste of screen space with its huge silver-gray bezels and the low screen resolution.

So I keep using my heavy and overpowered 17" MBP for mostly just doing things like browsing, when I am not sitting at my desk with the new iMac.
On a 17" (1920x1200) screen I don't really miss Retina and the option to scale up the resolution, but on 11-13" it would be awful since I have to do more scrolling than reading even with only having one Safari window open.

I do agree that as a gadget it's very UN-sexy, with it's thick silver/grey bezels. But I have no problems with my screen. I checked and found that I have the Samsung screen. It looks good even at angles, it's not retina but neither is 90% of the screens I use in a day. 2 at work and 2 at home on my desktop. The only Retina Display I had until I got the MBr was my iPad Air 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.