Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which would you pick at these price points? MBA 13 or MBr?

• Macbook Air 13 for $727

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Macbook Retina for $860

Votes: 106 85.5%

• Total voters

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
It's not even really the resolution that's the problem. The MBA's resolution is fine, but the quality of the display is not. The colors just look washed out and faded.

I know this thread is a little old and OP most likely already made up his mind, but in OP's place I would choose the rMB. If it was going to be my main machine, I'd definitely choose the MBA over the rMB, but as a secondary computer for on-the-go "writing" computer, the rMB seems the best option.

If the MBA had the same quality display as the rMB, I wouldn't choose the rMB over it in any situation.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
12 inch is way too small. Cant believe so many people accept 12-13" screens. Would love a 15 or 17" MacBook Retina.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
you are right, 17inch is perfect for frequent travellers...

I need to have a backpack to transport the 12" as a man anyway. Would not waste 1 second using a 12" computer, but I would gladly take a thin 15" with me. Anything less is useless for me.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
12 inch is way too small. Cant believe so many people accept 12-13" screens. Would love a 15 or 17" MacBook Retina.

I need to have a backpack to transport the 12" as a man anyway. Would not waste 1 second using a 12" computer, but I would gladly take a thin 15" with me. Anything less is useless for me.

Are both your laptops 12-13" screens ?

Well, I find FULL browsing on the Surface Pro 4 way better. I also prefer REAL YouTube and not the app. In fact I also like REAL apps. When a full computer finally is possible and acceptable to use ALSO as a tablet and you can avoid apps - then I am happy.

I bought air 2015 because it isn't retina. Hate retina UI lag and how not everything is optimized for retina. So happy for TN panel black levels. Hate ips backlight bleeding. And don't get me started on battery life too :). Will keep this thing till it dies.

How are you managing or maybe there's a simple explanation :D

Reactions: Jayderek

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
Are both your laptops 12-13" screens ?

How are you managing or maybe there's a simple explanation :D

13" is NOT 12" and the air is sold as it was too small for my needs. Also, IPS is improved. Look at MacBook 12" and Surface Pro 4. Can you find a real argument?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
13" is NOT 12" and the air is sold as it was too small for my needs. Also, IPS is improved. Look at MacBook 12" and Surface Pro 4. Can you find a real argument?
There you go a simple explanation you still do not own a > 13" Laptop and IPS improved overnight and you did not keep your MBA till it dies, thanks as I was confused and thought you must have a 15" rMBP or something similar

Last edited:

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
There you go a simple explanation you still do not own a > 13" Laptop and IPS improved overnight and you did not keep your MBA till it dies, thanks as I was confused and thought you must have a 15" rMBP or something similar

I do not own a MacBook of any kind right now. None of them suits my needs. rMBP is outdated, rMB too small, MBA outdated, too small in the long run for me. I would buy a 15" rMB if there was one.

Planned to keep the air, but I got tired of 13". UI lag also appeared after El Capitan. Especially Safari. So no reason to keep and not go retina. Every reason to keep it went away.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I do not own a MacBook of any kind right now. None of them suits my needs. rMBP is outdated, rMB too small, MBA outdated, too small in the long run for me. I would buy a 15" rMB if there was one.

Planned to keep the air, but I got tired of 13". UI lag also appeared after El Capitan. Especially Safari. So no reason to keep and not go retina. Every reason to keep it went away.
Still surprised given your comments above you went for a SP4 12.3" screen opposed to the SB 13.5" or did you find Win 10 scaling and font options got around some of your problems of smaller screens

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
Still surprised given your comments above you went for a SP4 12.3" screen opposed to the SB 13.5" or did you find Win 10 scaling and font options got around some of your problems of smaller screens

SP4 is great. A whole other story than a mac. A different purpose device also. Pure laptop i wont go below 15 inch anymore.

Last edited:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I can't believe this thread went on this long. The rMB is clearly the better purchase, but keep whichever one you want. I don't get the back and forth.

I already made my choice. But I kept the poll open cause I like to see opinions.

tim0409

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
I was in the US over Christmas and couldn't make up my mind between the MacBook or a MBA 11" (I previously had a 11.6) - they have both been sitting unopened for a month and yesterday I finally made my mind up to keep the MacBook and sell the MBA. Having spent the last 24 hours with it I am so glad I made the choice - the screen is so much better and I really love the keyboard!

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
I was in the US over Christmas and couldn't make up my mind between the MacBook or a MBA 11" (I previously had a 11.6) - they have both been sitting unopened for a month and yesterday I finally made my mind up to keep the MacBook and sell the MBA. Having spent the last 24 hours with it I am so glad I made the choice - the screen is so much better and I really love the keyboard!

That is wonderful to hear. It really is an amazing computer and the display is unreal. That's definitely my favorite feature of the little beauty. You made the right choice!

Reactions: Acronyc

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
What did you end up choosing by the way?
Macbook Retina.

I still don't LOVE it. But the deal was too good to pass up.

IMO the MBA is a better COMPUTER for standard and daily tasks. It's a good medium sized work horse and for getting the best computing for your buck on a Mac OS. MBr is the better "gadget" for the technophiles and has the cooler features rather than basic ones like the higher end retina screen, Force Touch and fancy new keyboard.

For the basic non-tech geek the MBA would probably more than suffice. The MBr is for the people who like the newest and shiniest.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.