Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which would you pick at these price points? MBA 13 or MBr?

• Macbook Air 13 for $727

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Macbook Retina for $860

Votes: 106 85.5%

• Total voters

macbook_21

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2015
In yo' bizness
All of the apple laptops are fundamentally flawed due to a lack of onboard storage. I last bought an apple laptop in 2008. Back then, a 256 gb was standard iirc. Now, 8 years later, 128 gigs of storage is entry level.

I think ssd is the way to go but the abysmal storage capacity is truly laughable. I've resorted to carrying a 2TB external hdd.

There's no point in bragging about a retina display when you have a pitiful 128 or 256 gigs of storage. "Look at my badass viper! It's got a 90 hp four banger!" No. Just no.

Also, the "retina" moniker is really a bunch of marketing fluff. PC laptops already have 4K monitors.

The rmb is a bizarre, boutique toy. One usb-c is a total joke. The colors are for kids. The rmb should be sold at toys 'r us. No peripherals to mess around with, cute colors and super lightweight, so not too taxing for child sized and strength arms.

How anyone can twist and embellish and misrepresent this bizarrely under speced toy as a full fledged computer, much less as an upscale status symbol is beyond me.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
macbook air is like the iphone 3gs. good for its time but once you get used to macbook 12 screen .... had to use my sister-in-law's mba to surf the web and it was like rubbing my eyeballs with sandpaper. i have ipad mini retina, 6s+ and 6 and the retina is great on all devices.

plus i am using the anker 26800 battery pack in my car to charge the macbook and i could probably use it for 20 hours. usb-c is awesome and the hubs such as the one below now nullify the one-port argument:

http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Type-...&qid=1452377553&sr=8-1&keywords=satechi+usb-c
Is the USB C portion elongated so that it can fit on a Macbook with a case?
[doublepost=1452379516][/doublepost]
All of the apple laptops are fundamentally flawed due to a lack of onboard storage. I last bought an apple laptop in 2008. Back then, a 256 gb was standard iirc. Now, 8 years later, 128 gigs of storage is entry level.

I think ssd is the way to go but the abysmal storage capacity is truly laughable. I've resorted to carrying a 2TB external hdd.

There's no point in bragging about a retina display when you have a pitiful 128 or 256 gigs of storage. "Look at my badass viper! It's got a 90 hp four banger!" No. Just no.

Also, the "retina" moniker is really a bunch of marketing fluff. PC laptops already have 4K monitors.

The rmb is a bizarre, boutique toy. One usb-c is a total joke. The colors are for kids. The rmb should be sold at toys 'r us. No peripherals to mess around with, cute colors and super lightweight, so not too taxing for child sized and strength arms.

How anyone can twist and embellish and misrepresent this bizarrely under speced toy as a full fledged computer, much less as an upscale status symbol is beyond me.

My Mac Pro only has 256gb... so I think that's pretty much standard for SSD machines. I think we've had this discussion before... at this point, I think you just like to argue for the sake of arguing.

You don't like the Macbook. We get it.

macbook_21

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2015
In yo' bizness
Is the USB C portion elongated so that it can fit on a Macbook with a case?
[doublepost=1452379516][/doublepost]

My Mac Pro only has 256gb... so I think that's pretty much standard for SSD machines. I think we've had this discussion before... at this point, I think you just like to argue for the sake of arguing.

You don't like the Macbook. We get it.

I'm happy to let it stand at that, if it were not for the absolutely ludicrous and constant invectives that we somehow MUST view the rmb as a luxury item on the same level as ROLEX, GUCCI and MERCEDES! How dim witted do you have to be to make such idiotic claims?!?

You can buy it for $1200 online at an everyday discount. $1300 list. Hardly "luxury pricing." It is massively under specced and overpriced, I will grant you that. But it's still a sucker's purchase, and within a few months, it will be ubiquitous, rendering any brief initial claim to "exclusivity" totally wasted.

I think at some point apple will figure out that designing a keyboard with a nanometer of key travel is probably not optimal. They will figure out that purchasing a dock so you can actually use peripherals at some point completely defeats the point of ultra light weight.

It's a toy. Toys are fun. But it's not what I would call a computer.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
MOD NOTE

We have removed a number of posts from members that were bickering / arguing with each other. Please review the rules before posting again.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK

Thank you for your helpful and informed post.

It's a good job your here to let us know how bad the MB is and not to buy it, i don't know what we would do without you.

You are a God.

Last edited:
Reactions: Closingracer

Queen6

macrumors G4
Everyone`s needs are different; the Retina MacBook works for me and I like the design end of story. If you don't like it, no one is forcing anyone to purchase. I don't care for all that Apple produces, not all works for me, nor do they all represent good value for my usage. Thankfully we are all free to exercise choice, and there is an abundance in the current market for portables.

Q-6

tim0409

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
I currently have a 2014 MBA 11" and decided to pick up a 2015 MBA 11" on a recent trip to Florida (from UK), on the basis that I can sell my existing laptop for same as the cost of the new one. As it happened Best Buy had a sale on and the MBA worked out at £490 so I bought one, but I also picked up a Macbook in the sale ($300 off) which worked out at £700 - I have been back a week and still haven't opened the MacBook as I am struggling to make my mind up....I suppose it doesn't really matter if I trial it for a few months and change my mind as I will get my money back when I sell.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I currently have a 2014 MBA 11" and decided to pick up a 2015 MBA 11" on a recent trip to Florida (from UK), on the basis that I can sell my existing laptop for same as the cost of the new one. As it happened Best Buy had a sale on and the MBA worked out at £490 so I bought one, but I also picked up a Macbook in the sale ($300 off) which worked out at £700 - I have been back a week and still haven't opened the MacBook as I am struggling to make my mind up....I suppose it doesn't really matter if I trial it for a few months and change my mind as I will get my money back when I sell.

Except they probably have US KB and check but the 1 year warranty is not usually international but AppleCare is. Still there's a good delta on the VAT vs US tax less airport refund, so with your discounted price you should be ok

tim0409

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
Except they probably have US KB and check but the 1 year warranty is not usually international but AppleCare is. Still there's a good delta on the VAT vs US tax less airport refund, so with your discounted price you should be ok

I've been buying Apple stuff in the US for a quite a few years and it always works out well especially if there is a sale on (Best Buy); I normally sell my stuff after a year and get my money back and upgrade. The mac warranty is international, and have used it a couple of times in the UK (new screen for previous MBA). A base macbook here costs £1049, so the £700 I paid is a good deal. The MBA is £750 here (although they had a sale on in the some UK 3rd party retailers) against £490 from BB.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

That is going overboard. I actually wanted the Air because of the ultra portability compared to the Pro but got the pro because of the screen. I eventually got the Pro 13 inch 2015 model with 256GB of storage for $1,415 after sales tax at best buy and since i am looking at that price the Macbook at $1,249 with education pricing is looking appealing. I exchanged the 128gb pro which i bought for $1,194 after sales tax but 128GB was a bit to small for me but the Macbook has 256GB of storage and is smaller then the pro. I have like 12 days to decide if i want to switch but I am leaning toward keeping the pro because of the specs.
[doublepost=1452491593][/doublepost]
I'm happy to let it stand at that, if it were not for the absolutely ludicrous and constant invectives that we somehow MUST view the rmb as a luxury item on the same level as ROLEX, GUCCI and MERCEDES! How dim witted do you have to be to make such idiotic claims?!?

You can buy it for $1200 online at an everyday discount. $1300 list. Hardly "luxury pricing." It is massively under specced and overpriced, I will grant you that. But it's still a sucker's purchase, and within a few months, it will be ubiquitous, rendering any brief initial claim to "exclusivity" totally wasted.

I think at some point apple will figure out that designing a keyboard with a nanometer of key travel is probably not optimal. They will figure out that purchasing a dock so you can actually use peripherals at some point completely defeats the point of ultra light weight.

It's a toy. Toys are fun. But it's not what I would call a computer.

It is far from "underpowered".... Slightly overpriced? yes underpowered considering the price? na. Samsung and other OEM's that make Windows products are selling their ultra portables with Core M cpu's for around the same price point of around $1,000. An extra $300 for the Macbook doesn't make it "OVERPRICED" as you want to express
[doublepost=1452492201][/doublepost]
You're confusing premium price with status and it isn't necessarily exclusive this is shown by your examples. Does Apple charge a premium price? Generally yes, but just because they do doesn't mean owning an Apple product is for status symbol. They are able to take a product with weaker specs IE the MBr and have things optimized for great battery life with little or no lag. PC computers with the same lower specs just do not run as smoothly. Those are just facts, not an elitist's point of view. If Android or Windows machines were better engineered and programmed they wouldn't need twice the specs for the similar performance; IE RAM on Android phones.

I'm certainly not rich and I bought this MBr for $440 off retail price, significantly cheaper than most Ultrabooks in the same class.. Essentially it's a product that's competition for a Surface Book, which is retails at $400 MORE than the MBr. I certainly wouldn't call owning a Surface Book being of higher status symbol, just a laptop with more features.

Ultimately these are tools, nobody cares if you have the "Bentley" of screw drivers, so it's not a status as it is that Apple has always used more premium materials and aesthetics and did them better. They were the first to make stainless steel mp3 players, aluminum laptops, glass capacitive touch screens, glass trackpads, all in one desktops and the list goes on and on. This is why Apple products are more expensive. Not because of "Status Symbol". The only item, which I also think is the worst product Apple has ever made is the Edition Gold Apple Watches. THAT is a status symbol item that Apple makes and I hope that they eliminate that line with the next Apple Watch.

Try looking it at a point of view of somebody who has been a "Windows guy" or somebody who hasn't used a Macbook before. Outside looking in I could see this as an interesting argument though... When you get down to it though does Apple charge a premium? yes? Is it worth it? subjective. I gladly paid $1415 for my Macbook pro because of superior battery life which I need for college. I got the Pro because of the screen over the Air and worth about $400 more than the 256GB 13 inch Air.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Try looking it at a point of view of somebody who has been a "Windows guy" or somebody who hasn't used a Macbook before. Outside looking in I could see this as an interesting argument though... When you get down to it though does Apple charge a premium? yes? Is it worth it? subjective. I gladly paid $1415 for my Macbook pro because of superior battery life which I need for college. I got the Pro because of the screen over the Air and worth about $400 more than the 256GB 13 inch Air.

I judge all devices as a tech enthusiast. I don't limit myself to Apple, Android or Windows. The person I replied to is a hardcore Apple guy so one can't consider him looking at it from a Windows POV anyway.
The point I was trying to make is that besides the obscene; Edition Apple Watch Apple, products aren't all some elitists' plaything. They are tools, most of which are optimized better than the competition. The 24K Gold Apple Watch is the first of their products that really segregates their audience based on income. But at the end of the day when I buy a 300-500 dollar Windows machine, I won't get the same performance as the $1000 Apple machine. It's simply that Apple's entry level isn't as low as a Window's entry level machine. You pit a XPS 13 or a Surface Book against an entry level 13 inch MBP and you've got a similar performing machine at about the same price.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I judge all devices as a tech enthusiast. I don't limit myself to Apple, Android or Windows. The person I replied to is a hardcore Apple guy so one can't consider him looking at it from a Windows POV anyway.
The point I was trying to make is that besides the obscene; Edition Apple Watch Apple, products aren't all some elitists' plaything. They are tools, most of which are optimized better than the competition. The 24K Gold Apple Watch is the first of their products that really segregates their audience based on income. But at the end of the day when I buy a 300-500 dollar Windows machine, I won't get the same performance as the $1000 Apple machine. It's simply that Apple's entry level isn't as low as a Window's entry level machine. You pit a XPS 13 or a Surface Book against an entry level 13 inch MBP and you've got a similar performing machine at about the same price.

Still quite hard to justify spending $800 for some people to just use Facebook

Reactions: SteveJUAE

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I've been buying Apple stuff in the US for a quite a few years and it always works out well especially if there is a sale on (Best Buy); I normally sell my stuff after a year and get my money back and upgrade. The mac warranty is international, and have used it a couple of times in the UK (new screen for previous MBA). A base macbook here costs £1049, so the £700 I paid is a good deal. The MBA is £750 here (although they had a sale on in the some UK 3rd party retailers) against £490 from BB.

I think the UK is probably better we have always had bitching and moaning with imports, may be better now there are 2 actual Apple stores. I think the IPhone is not international and they have the right to refuse.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Still quite hard to justify spending $800 for some people to just use Facebook

But if that's the case you could easily spend $150 for a Chromebook, or why not even just use a phone? That isn't the same as buying a "luxury item" which was what we were discussing.

If people aren't buying products for the correct uses they are obviously buying it wrong. I don't buy a hammer to swap out my RAM, I buy a screwdriver.

Maybe I give the world too much credit in intelligence...

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
But if that's the case you could easily spend $150 for a Chromebook, or why not even just use a phone? That isn't the same as buying a "luxury item" which was what we were discussing.

If people aren't buying products for the correct uses they are obviously buying it wrong. I don't buy a hammer to swap out my RAM, I buy a screwdriver.

Maybe I give the world too much credit in intelligence...

Lol.... Not everybody wants an os that's solely online like chrome and some people fine anything more then a $400 laptop as a waste of money. As somebody who has never used os x or just doesn't care about it the extra cost of a Macbook is a "waste". The Macbook Air could be sold for $500 and Apple would still make a good profit on it still in theory. I personally think the Macbook is worth the cost but I can see why other people can see otherwise. And some people do buy it because it's a status symbol.

When you get down to it I don't agree with that opinion but it's still valid

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
I was windows guy from 1986-2010. Having to look for drivers, or installing hundreds of security updates when reinstalling on an older disk image of windows 7 etc. are things I don't miss. I also travel a lot and remember looking for a replacement for my dead dell laptop power adapter at local outlets. My phone also died after water damage during a crucial trip last year and not having a phone could have jeopardized my safety. Thanks to Applecare I was able to replace my phone for $79 no questions asked.

The 12" is a godsend. I have to carry a lot gear and have to edit, process, caption and transmit pictures in all sorts of places. The 13' macbook pro broke my back during long assignments which involved a lot of walking and some running.

The 12" is powerful enough to edit 36 megapixel images efficiently. I does everything I need it to do even though it is not an i7 at 3ghz.

While you might pay more with Apple you get more. Their apple stores are an insurance policy for those who rely on a computer for work and travel.

btw, you can get this for external storage.

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/portable-ssd

Reactions: boltjames

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
While you might pay more with Apple you get more. Their apple stores are an insurance policy for those who rely on a computer for work and travel.

btw, you can get this for external storage.

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/portable-ssd

Whilst I agree generally, it's sometimes a bit harder internationally and if your lucky to be visiting other offices IT departments are more likely to have a spare Dell/HP brick than an Apple one and almost 0 chance of a rMB

Just got the T1 500GB :)

Reactions: Closingracer

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Lol.... Not everybody wants an os that's solely online like chrome and some people fine anything more then a $400 laptop as a waste of money. As somebody who has never used os x or just doesn't care about it the extra cost of a Macbook is a "waste". The Macbook Air could be sold for $500 and Apple would still make a good profit on it still in theory. I personally think the Macbook is worth the cost but I can see why other people can see otherwise. And some people do buy it because it's a status symbol.

When you get down to it I don't agree with that opinion but it's still valid

I was responding to your direct words of wanting a computer "just to use Facebook." If they are buying a computer "just to use Facebook" a chromebook will suffice. Even if they wanted to take notes and word process a chromebook is enough.

As for the other part, I guess I was hoping humanity was better than that. guess I'm wrong. We're just a horrible vapid species destined to selfie ourselves into oblivion while we carry shiny thin laptops as fashion accessories rather than tools of use.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I was responding to your direct words of wanting a computer "just to use Facebook." If they are buying a computer "just to use Facebook" a chromebook will suffice. Even if they wanted to take notes and word process a chromebook is enough.

As for the other part, I guess I was hoping humanity was better than that. guess I'm wrong. We're just a horrible vapid species destined to selfie ourselves into oblivion while we carry shiny thin laptops as fashion accessories rather than tools of use.

As I said before it's a limited os that requires an Internet connection and limited storage that's restricted to Google services. Google docs is horrible imo and rather use iworks or office which is superior. I also know plenty of people who want windows and not anything else

As far as the other statement why do people buy fancy fast cars like a lambo and drive them around? Not like you can use it to its full potential.

Last edited:

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Congrats on T1.

I agree with international stores and IT depts.

BTW, I was PC tech support for my dad since early 1990. Fielded hundreds of calls and do not miss asking him to delve into menus and control panels etc. over a cellular connection. For a while Logmein allowed me to solve some of his Windows issues from my computer.

I would like to get him a mac this year because Apple geniuses have been very helpful when something goes wrong.

Whilst I agree generally, it's sometimes a bit harder internationally and if your lucky to be visiting other offices IT departments are more likely to have a spare Dell/HP brick than an Apple one and almost 0 chance of a rMB

Just got the T1 500GB :)

Reactions: SteveJUAE

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
We're just a horrible vapid species destined to selfie ourselves into oblivion while we carry shiny thin laptops as fashion accessories rather than tools of use.

Post of the year, maybe even my favorite post of all time in this forum.

It is far harder to embrace the stereotype then try to prove we are better than it. So let's take the firmer path boys, stick our noses into the air, laugh at the less fortunate, and enjoy the spoils of victory.

BJ

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

It is far harder to embrace the stereotype then try to prove we are better than it. So let's take the firmer path boys, stick our noses into the air, laugh at the less fortunate, and enjoy the spoils of victory.

BJ
It would make a cool quote/tag line well said MrXiro :D

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
As I said before it's a limited os that requires an Internet connection and limited storage that's restricted to Google services. Google docs is horrible imo and rather use iworks or office which is superior. I also know plenty of people who want windows and not anything else

As far as the other statement why do people buy fancy fast cars like a lambo and drive them around? Not like you can use it to its full potential.

For one, I know many rich people and none of them own a Lambo, one of them even directed a Fast and Furious movie so he's pretty damn rich. He drove a Prius until a movie studio gave him a Tesla. Now he's leasing his 2nd Tesla and he drives it every day.

The 2nd thing is (again) I was responding directly to your "facebook" retort. You also still need internet access for FB on ANY device and a chromebook would suffice as your "facebook" device if that is the only use you have for it.

Finally, I've used google docs plenty of times, it's fine for simple word processing and taking notes and on chromebooks you don't need to be connected to use it. It has offline mode.
[doublepost=1452606623][/doublepost]

BJ

I'll be putting a bullet in my head shortly.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
For one, I know many rich people and none of them own a Lambo, one of them even directed a Fast and Furious movie so he's pretty damn rich. He drove a Prius until a movie studio gave him a Tesla. Now he's leasing his 2nd Tesla and he drives it every day.

The 2nd thing is (again) I was responding directly to your "facebook" retort. You also still need internet access for FB on ANY device and a chromebook would suffice as your "facebook" device if that is the only use you have for it.

Finally, I've used google docs plenty of times, it's fine for simple word processing and taking notes and on chromebooks you don't need to be connected to use it. It has offline mode.

Cool for your rich friends? Once again why do people buy Lambos? To look cool in them but they do the same thing as a Ford Fusion but the Ford fusion is a fraction of the cost. It's sole purpose in life is to look cool in it legally speaking of course.

Yes you need the internet but you are still limited on a Chromebook and google services. Google docs is a complete joke for anything serious and would never use it even though it's free. I get Office for free from my school but even then I would rather pay for Office 365 then use google docs. My parents for example literally use their windows laptop to check on Facebook, browse the web and check their email. Could they use a Chromebook? In theory sure but do they? no. Chromebook's have limited memory storage and if you love having photos and music on your computer it's a no go. She uses an iPhone and one of the few people in the world I know that uses iTunes still to do everything. Yeah their is cloud storage but plenty of people don't want to use cloud storage with some reasons being privacy reasons or just preferring to have it on a drive they can access whenever.

I have also never seen a Chromebook in the wild ever and everybody at college uses MacBooks or Windows devices. Anywhere I go as well I have never seen a Chromebook either so either New Yorkers hate chrome books or it's just not that popular of a device.

Microsoft owns the biggest market in the OS market and that won't be changing.... if Apple couldn't do it Google sure won't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.